Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 08-20-2010, 07:56 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Reflux in baby

There is a possibility that my little man has acid reflux. I am not totally sold on it but too afraid to not take it into consideration and give him the medication that the Gastroenterologist prescribed to him. Anyway, I was wondering what are some things you all have done to help treat it naturally and more specifically elimination diet and breastfeeding. Has anyone done an elimination diet and cured it in their LO?

Ali, wife to A and momma to Punkie (03/2004), Mo Mo (03/2008)and my little ginger baby (06/2010) . I'm abut I don't get paid.
New babywearing group in NE TN & surrounding area, PM me for more info!!
Chagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:14 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Reflux in baby

My son never learned to nurse because of his severe reflux, but I did pump for 10 months for him. Once we had to start formula-my milk dried up from stress and being pregnant again-he was a totally different baby. He is more miserable and irritable, he has chronic constipation as well. When I was pumping, I did an elimination diet-and I won't lie-it's difficult, but also depends on how far you take it. I was going to all extremes, but then I was practically starving myself-so I did the major things-dairy, processed foods, starches, carbonated anything and even just doing that was a major difference. He threw up less on BM, had no trouble with his bowels, and reflux seemed much more under control. We also use pro-biotic drops-BioGaia Infant Probiotic drops, and I thought they weren't doing anything, but when we ran out for a few days-BIG difference. We tried zantac-that was worthless. I won't use Regland-but he ended up on Prevacid Solu-tab-and it seems to help. I also did tons of research and didn't let any med personell tell me to stop nursing, because with reflux, it really is the best option. I hope all works out mama, it is a journey, but it will work out. I hope your LO feels better soon. We have been dealing with Reflux for 17 months now! Hugs, mama!
Nikki-mama to 3 little miracles that complete me. 3 BOYS M-10/06 (my Invitro baby) J-3/09 (my LO that keeps me on my toes) and J-9/10 (my totally unexpected miracle that completed our family) Proud Air Force wife to M.
blessedmama2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:23 PM   #3
Registered Users

We are going through this now with our 15 week old, so I feel your pain.
I tried the elimination diet, it didn't help at all. BUT I did it with my DD and it cured her. So, it might be worth a try.
Prevacid and zantac did nothing for us at all. I have been told to pump and thicken. We see a Ped. GI on tuesday hopefully I will learn more then.
Prairie_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 01:50 AM   #4
Registered Users

no, i don't believe eliminating foods you are eating will help. My 1st daughter had reflux and it's because their digestive systems are very immature and sometimes they don't process the milk properly until it matures. By about 4mths old, it disappeared in my daughter.
1. after nursing burp well
2. keep him/her upright after nursing
3. i used a wedge type foam pillow in crib to prop her up
4. my doctor gave us Tagamet but I don't know if it really worked.

but really it just took a lot of burping and keeping her up right for about 15minutes after nursing.
good luck
Laura - Beaverton, OR

Wife to Dave, proud SAHM to our daughters Reagan, born April 3, 2007 and Karly, born 1/24/09
uoducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 02:43 PM   #5
Registered Users
My Mood:

My son's reflux was cured by cutting dairy out of my diet. I did an experiment. I cut dairy out for two days, and reflux went away. Introduced it back as normal and reflux came back.

So, through experimentation, I found that I can have 1 or 2 servings of dairy a a yogurt, a small amount of cheese, some sour cream..but I can't drink a glass of milk.

So, no need to do the meds.

God bless!
Christian wife to my hubby, mamma to three little men and a little lady!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 05:31 PM   #6
Registered Users
My Mood:

my daughter also had reflux and nothing helped her except for the meds. She's now just 5 1/2 months old and has been off the meds for at least a month so she grew out of it fairly quickly.

good luck with your decision!
lisagreaves615 is offline   Reply With Quote