Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-01-2006, 06:03 AM   #1
Tracylhl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Amonia stink in night diapers. Help!!

I know it's been asked before but my dd's night diapers smell so strongly of amonia in the mornings that I can hardly stand to change her! Here's what I've tried: I normally rinse in cold, wash hot, rinse warm, rinse in warm again. Use just a TINY bit of Tide. Now, this sounds crazy, but a few months ago we bought a front loading washer but the old one still runs so DH hooked it up in the garage and I have both of them going these days. I normally wash diapers in the garage washer (standard, not FL) but lately AFTER my normal wash routine above, I put the diapers into the FL machine and RE-WASH them with no detergent in the Sanitize cycle. The water gets to 145 degrees and it helps to release some of the extra soap if there is any left. I can see a few suds but nothing major when I do this. Then I alternate between line drying and machine drying. So that's what I've been doing. You would think these things would be super clean and I don't have problems with any other diapers except the night ones. Right now I've got them in the FL machine again with some TTO. Any other suggestions?

Advertisement

www.yelloworchiddesigns.com
Tracylhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 06:17 AM   #2
MamaStace
Registered Users

Re: Amonia stink in night diapers. Help!!

oh to have TWO washers!! I'm watching this b/c we're not even DOING night CDing anymore b/c of the stink!

MamaStace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 06:27 AM   #3
suzhatch1
Registered Users
seller

Do you have amonia stink in your regular day-time diapers?

Because if not, it sounds to me like maybe you're doing everything correct, and what you have is just the unavoidable smell of a pee-drenched 12-hour overnight diaper.

I asked a similiar question recently because I was noticing the same unbearable smell from DD's overnight wet diapers. To the point where I couldn't bare being in her room because after tossing the overnight, drenched diaper into her dipe pail, the room seemed smelly. However, the rest of her day-time diapers were fine (none of that immediate, knock-you down amonia smell after being peed in - which would be a sign of build up). Also when we wash I do a cold wash (w/no soap) and then a double hot wash & double rinse and make sure there are no bubbles, so I know I don't have build up (as proven w/the no amonia in the day-time dipes).

The responses I received from lots of Mamas on here, was that it sounds like the routine is correct, and what we are dealing with is just the inevitable: when a baby is in a diaper for such a long time & so much pee is held up in the fabric, you are bound to have some pee-amonia smell in the morning (the amonia smell is a reaction of the pee hitting air and fermenting, and with such large amounts of pee, it's extra concentrated).

One suggestion might be to wet pail your overnight dipes or rinse them prior to wash day. Or try using Bac-Out in your pail to help neutralize some orders.

HTH!
Suz
suzhatch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 06:46 AM   #4
Tracylhl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks Suz. Actually, this is exactly what I thought for a while, but the smell in night diapers has gotten so much worse in the past week or two that it's rediculous! It wasn't like this 3 wks ago. Sure, it smelled like pee, but not where it lingered in the room for 1/2 the day after being removed already! I'm washing my diapers everyday at this point b/c it smells up the whole side of the house if I don't!

Old 06-01-2006, 07:31 AM   #5
Gwen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have some sherpa PW's that I use just for nighttime and I have to wash them with about 1 teaspoon bleach about once a month or it gets BAD - I have a FL too. - Gwen
Old 06-01-2006, 09:27 AM   #6
flobee76
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We suffer from ammonia stink as well. We use hemp bkt and have boiled them. That really helps get the stink right out! You should try that if you have the time...

Let the pot come to a boil, then lower to simmer. Add the WASHED inserts in and simmer for about 15 minutes. Be sure to keep an eye on them! Pull them out and throw 'em back in the wash. Hot wash/cold rinse. It's worked well for us.
Mom to DD (5/04), DS (8/07), DD (2/09)DD (5/13), Blessing #4 in the arms of Jesus 11/2011

Jesus-follower, Traditional Foodie, Homeschooler, frugal-er
flobee76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 01:24 PM   #7
Cenae
Registered Users

If you go to wal-mart, in the hunting section there is a laundry detergent called Sport Wash. This is a really neat detergent, in that it really strips the cloth of any scent, it's fragrance free, and generally good for getting things clean and stink free. I suffered with pee-stinky morning diapers for a good two years before discovering this. Oh, and another neat thing, it doesn't have phosphate in it so if you wash your whites in it and put them under the blacklight they don't glow. Good to use before playing laser tag!

ETA: It's sometimes marketed toward the baby laundry market as sensi-clean, but it's the exact same thing.

Last edited by Cenae; 06-01-2006 at 01:26 PM.
Cenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 06:49 PM   #8
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

Ours started with the nighttime dipe smelling like ammonia, then our daytime dipes started doing it. I tried EVERYTHING (stripping, Dawn, baking soda, vinegar, TTO, Sport-Wash, Borax) and it was the Sport-Wash that took care of the daytime ammonia stink, but we still have the nighttime ammonia stink.
Old 06-01-2006, 06:52 PM   #9
Fullhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Why not just wash in the He? I do.
Fullhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 06:54 PM   #10
Tracylhl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I looked for Sport Wash at our local Wal-Marts a few weeks ago and they no longer carry it. Any other local places? We have a new "****'s Sporting Goods". Maybe I can check there. Everyone says to look during hunting season, but, being adamently opposed to hunting, I don't even know when the season is!! Can someone help me with that?! The season, not the opposition!