Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-28-2007, 09:30 PM   #1
Ooey
Full of Surprises
seller

Talk to me about hemp vs. microfiber inserts...

I have always used all microfiber inserts, I guess I was just scared of getting stinky hepm after all the horor stories I heard. Now I'm starting to get curious though, do hemp inserts hold more than microfiber? They seem so much trimmer, I use all CBOS and SB micro inserts and the CB are far from trim. I know of joeybunz, what other kinds of hemp inserts are out there and what do you recommed?

Advertisement

#3 Coming Oct. 2015!
Ooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:53 PM   #2
chunkymonkey'smomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Talk to me about hemp vs. microfiber inserts...

My personal favorite is the Hemp Wonderfull's JB are good, but I don't think they hold up as well over time I have never had stinky hemp and have used hemp inserts for a year and a half I prefer hemp to microfiber by far, much more trim and just as absorbant if not more IMHO
Old 02-28-2007, 10:08 PM   #3
graces-mommie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I love my hemp babies from cotton babies. They aren't straight up hemp, but a mix of hemp and organic cotton.

graces-mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:14 PM   #4
reborin
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have used hemp trifolds for ever, they rock! I also have an assortment of hemp doublers, just one or two layers. They do absorb a lot. Stinky? Not when they're clean! I think some people have water that is too hard or too soft or something. If you have funky water, it might be hard to keep them clean? I don't think if you wash them right that they get stinky. I did find that I used a thin fleece layer over all my mfiber, because I didn't like the feel of it next to ds's 'nads. But I didn't feel that way about the hemp. and as long as it got some dryer time, it stayed pretty soft (soft enough for a baby!). I don't know if they absorb MORE than MF. I'd have to investigate that further and tbh we don't use MF much anymore. HTH...
Old 02-28-2007, 10:14 PM   #5
For The Love Of Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: tmolly
seller
seller

My Mood:

I use hemp from LL's, and from Nothing Butt Cloth inserts. I have never had a problem with my hemp. I *do* extra rinses on all my diapers and I think it really helps with prevention. Plus I add Dawn every 3-4 times, add extra boiling water, use Borax and a vinegar rinse followed by a clear water rinse.

The one downfall to hemp imo is that many of the inserts I've been using maybe once or twice weekly for a year are becoming threadbare. I might be over estimating their durability, but I'm a little disappointed.

The other thing is that I expected hemp to get softer over time but I think it gets rougher. Just my opinion. Interested to hear what others think.

My bulletproof night time plan is 2 large inserts wrapped in a mf towel, stuffed in a fb. Never had a problem in the last 1 1/2 years.
For The Love Of Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:16 PM   #6
For The Love Of Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: tmolly
seller
seller

My Mood:

Wanted to add that I love that hemp is a natural fiber and more environementally sound than the synthetic microfiber.
For The Love Of Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:46 PM   #7
eandesmom
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Hemp does absorb more than mf. I use hemp at night, it works well for us, I honestly couldn't find any other nighttime solution, but a JB hemp insert wrapped in a ubipf in a one size diaper works well for us.
I don't use it during the day, honestly, I don't know why, I just don't...
If you are looking for a nighttime solution for a heavy wetter, hemp works for us!
eandesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:54 PM   #8
GBMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I used mf for about 3 months, then hemp exclusively for a year, and now over the last 2 months I've been using part mf again.

IMO CB inserts are stiffer than other mf I've recently tried because the terry weave is possibly tighter. I've recently tried Thirsties & HH mf in my HH pockets & love, love, love both! They are so soft & trim on DD's bum (compared to the Stuffins)! Thirsties are supposed to hold as much as a CB too. Gripes on each: I love the contour shape, but the Thirsties is too much of a bubble & the HH isn't enough to fit my HH pocket just right. The Thirsties seems to be more suceptible to compression leaks, as the rounded part pushes on the seams of the pocket. The HH is a M/L size, & too long for a Med pocket comfortably. I have a mama sending me Nurtured Family contoured mf inserts that hold as much as a Thirsties & CB. I'll see how I like the cut on those...

Hemp: 2 HH Stuffins w/ovals has been my absolute bullet proof nighttime solution. DD was SOAKING her pj's from the chest to her knees w/2 CB mfs & CBs *supposedly* hold more oz by weight. I also use 1 CB closest to DD & a Stuffin behind it that is about 98% effective with just a little waistband or thigh wicking sometimes. I got a couple Joey Bunz after hearing how trim they are. I've been very disappointed. Yes they are trim, but they also hold hardly anything & are not very durable at all. My stuffins have held up MUCH better. I would like to try Jam Tots, as I've heard they are trim & absorbent, so we'll see. I have tried Hemp Babies, but they are kind of thick & you get awkward folds depending on the size insert & pocket you use.

Side note: a pp mentioned not liking mf next to DSs skin - though it wasn't *supposed* to touch the skin as it will suck the moisture right out - it's only for inside a pocket. Only micro fleece, suade cloth, or a natural fiber should touch the skin IMO.

FS/IHA:
EEUC Mutts, GM: NIP OBVs, New Amazon & MCZ, Bram. Rose, Rites of Spr., Cowboys, Cuddlebuns, SOS: EUC Knit & NIP OCV, Wool: SB'ish, Luxe, Recyc., Knitted
GBMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 05:42 AM   #9
somersocial
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have never had any stink issues with my hemp. All I have used are JB's and my own JB "inspired" inserts - I made my own to have natural stitching and not green! It is trimmer. My concern would be if your dd is flooder or not as the hemp does not asorb as fast as microfiber.

HTH!
Old 03-01-2007, 11:15 AM   #10
mommyofnoah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think the hemp absorbs more than the MF, and also easier to add more layers without the bulk of MF layers. I have babykicks hemparoo inserts and HH stuffins. I think, IMO, the HH are softer than the BKs. I'd LOVE to try more brands...just don't have the money right now!