Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-21-2010, 11:14 PM   #1
mydaddysjag
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
WIC Recipes?

We get wic, and I often have a hard time thinking of creative ways to use some of the items. I admit, im not a super experienced cook, and dont know a lot of recipes. Often times I find myself overspending just to buy items to put with my wic stuff to make a recipe, which is counter productive because were on wic due to a tight budget.

I figured some other mamas might be on WIC and could help me with some recipes.

Advertisement

mydaddysjag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 11:28 PM   #2
mama_to_DJM
Registered Users

Re: WIC Recipes?

You could do grilled cheese sandwich, egg salad sandwich, eggs on toast (with cheese), oatmeal, fruit/veggies, veggie pizza (make or buy a pizza crust- they're really cheap to make from scratch, top with sauce, cheese, and veggies), bean & cheese burritos (I recently learned how to cook beans from scratch, so I make "refried" beans with that, you could use that & tortillas and make a burrito). That's what I can think of so far. I get WIC too and have the same struggle of thinking of cheap, but still healthy, recipes. Let me know if you have any questions about the things I mentioned!
mama_to_DJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 11:34 PM   #3
BabyLuvinMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was on wic for a long time... and know how it is to figure out how to incorporate it into meals and not just WOW we have milk cheese and eggs and 2000 lbs of beans LOL...

I Love the fact that I could change it up if I needed to. If I had Cereal coming out of my ears I could get cream of wheat or Grits and Now you can even get corn tortillas for a grain (Im in oregon)
And I could load up on Beans all different kinds, You can even go to the bulk section and pick your favorite not just the Junk out of a bag that might or might not have ROCKS in them...
Juice was Not something I used but when I got it I either donated it to a food bank, a friend or would simply by Pineapple or orange juice concentrate for Cooking never drinking....

a few of my favorite things to do to USE up the mass amounts were here!!

The beans, and Legumes
Chilli, Home made refried beans, Hamhocks and beans, Split pea soup all can be made in LARGE quantity and frozen or canned and used later...

cereals
Besides just breakfast food I would get corn flakes, Grape nuts, cheerios or rice crispy cereal and stick it in the Processor then I have a GREAT crispy coating for almost Any meat Or mix with melted butter and a crunchy topping ontop of a crumble instead of other things.
QUICHE it uses the Eggs, cheese, Milk, and any extra proteins or Veg you might have laying around..
its not a lot but Hope it helps, if you need actual recipes PM me I would Love to help
Old 08-22-2010, 12:14 AM   #4
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm not on WIC, so I don't know what you receive, but with my guessing, here are my ideas

cereal
*pick the bland/whole grain kinds like cheerios, chex, kix, etc. and make your own chex mix with melted butter, garlic powder, onion powder and seasoned salt (you can google the recipe).
*mix several kinds of cereal together and add raisins, nuts and/or pretzels to make your own trail-type mix
*rice krispy treats (you can sub other cereals too)

Peanut butter
*peanut butter muffins
*smoothies (milk, yogurt, banana, pb)
*dip for apples, celery, graham crackers

tuna
*tuna salad-mix with chopped hard boiled eggs, relish, and mayo or miracle whip
*tuna casserole-cream of mushroom soup, sliced cheese, milk, tuna, cooked noodles, salt and pepper to taste
*tuna and rice-melt 2 T. butter in a saucepan, mix in 2T. flour and whisk it together and let it cook a couple minutes until it starts to brown, add 1 cup or so of milk and whisk until blended, then add tuna and sliced cheese. Simmer until cheese is melted and serve over rice. My dad likes it over toast too.

eggs
*use in pancakes, muffins, brownies, cookies
*hard-boiled eggs/deviled eggs
*breakfast burritos (tortillas, scrambled eggs, slice of cheese)
*use to coat meat before dredging it in crushed cereal (as pp suggested) for breaded meat
* french toast or breakfast casserole

Sliced cheese
*add to casseroles or mac & cheese instead of a shredded variety (may take longer to melt and it might want to clump together-stirring well as it's melting alleviates that)
*melt over scrambled eggs or in an omelet
*tuna melt (should've added that above) or patty melt

beans
*refried beans
*black beans with seasonings to add to tacos, burritos, enchiladas, etc.
*kidney beans in chili or on a salad
*make hummus with chickpeas and serve with cut-up veggies or crackers
*navy beans for ham and bean soup, chicken chili, baked beans

milk
*use in baking
*make your own yogurt/sour cream/cream cheese. You make the sour cream and cream cheese by straining the whey off
*pudding
*egg casserole
*mac & cheese (can use up a lot of cheese this way too)

My brain is running on low right now, but if you keep, flour, sugar, oil, salt, butter and general seasonings in your pantry, you could make most of these things with only one or two cheap ingredients.

HTH
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 02:04 AM   #5
Kenna
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks everyone for the ideas, I was just thinking about this the other day!!
Kenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 06:42 AM   #6
hbee
Registered Users
seller
seller

My friend that is on wic started getting checks for use at a farmers market. Do you get this kind of thing too? If so, the amount of things you can make using wic foods opens up a ton.
hbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:12 PM   #7
Gothmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Can anyone link me recipes (or better yet PM 'cause I'll forget) for refried beans and the bean and cheese burritos?

I've got like 4 bags of beans sitting around 'cause I'm NOT a good cook.
Gothmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:55 PM   #8
mama_to_DJM
Registered Users

Here's how I make refried beans: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Refried-Beans-Without-the-Refry/Detail.aspx

Ingredients

* 1 onion, peeled and halved
* 3 cups dry pinto beans, rinsed
* 1/2 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
* 2 tablespoons minced garlic
* 5 teaspoons salt
* 1 3/4 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
* 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin, optional
* 9 cups water

Directions

1. Place the onion, rinsed beans, jalapeno, garlic, salt, pepper, and cumin into a slow cooker. Pour in the water and stir to combine. Cook on High for 8 hours, adding more water as needed. Note: if more than 1 cup of water has evaporated during cooking, then the temperature is too high.

2. Once the beans have cooked, strain them, and reserve the liquid. Mash the beans with a potato masher, adding the reserved water as needed to attain desired consistency.

(Note- I cut the ingredients in half, and I skip the peppers. That makes plenty for my family of 5. They take about 6 hours on high in my small crockpot.)

To make burritos, I would just make these beans, mash them, and put them in a tortilla. Sprinkle on some grated cheddar cheese, a little taco sauce (I use Taco Bell packets), and microwave until warm. If you use the WIC tortillas too, that's pretty much all covered! I just, a few weeks ago, figured out how to cook dry beans. I always skipped them from the WIC checks, because I didn't know how to use them! It's so simple with a crockpot though. I'm sure you could find directions online for how to cook them with a pot if you don't have a crockpot.

Last edited by mama_to_DJM; 08-22-2010 at 09:57 PM.
mama_to_DJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 11:02 AM   #9
kocho
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD turned 5 over the summer so our WIC just ended. I'm going miss it so much. I totally changed the way I cook to accommodate the WIC foods.

The biggest problem for me was the milk. Once my kids got a little older they didn't want to drink that much milk. So I had to find ways to use it up. I would make milkshakes and pudding and hot chocolate and my Grandma's egg custard. Homemade yogurt is another way to use up a lot of milk.

For the cereal. I would sometimes put it in baggies and send it to school for a snack for my son. I would also buy chex a lot so we could make chex mix. And we like fried cherieos for a snack. And you can use cornflakes to bread chicken or for the topping on cottage potatoes.

If you find you have too much juice you can use it to make Popsicles.

The cheese I will miss the most. I used it on tacos, on my chili, on eggs, for pizza and in recipes.

I have an awesome recipe for homemade baked beans to use up those dried baby lima beans.

Oh and for the peanut butter I have a peanut butter mouse recipe that is fabulous!!

My Avon Earn giftcards with Swagbucks My Blog - Change Jar Blog

Last edited by kocho; 08-23-2010 at 11:11 AM.
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:29 AM   #10
Heyheybaby83
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kocho View Post
Oh and for the peanut butter I have a peanut butter mouse recipe that is fabulous!!
I would love the recipe for this! My husband is a big peanut butter person.
Heyheybaby83 is offline   Reply With Quote