Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-22-2010, 03:54 PM   #11
chanee
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: S/O... Little boys standing to potty?

ds will turn two next month. and goes to pee whenever i offer (which is like every 20 min) but last week he refused. and in a random moment of inspiration, i asked if he wanted to "go like papa" and he was all about it. we have two hand-me-down pottys. one is a bjorn, that is what he has been learning with. and one has a lid and can be used as a step. so that is in front of the adult toilet. so now when i ask if he needs to pee in the potty, he runs up to that,climbs up and goes.( he is usually pantsless at home. potty learning a toddler is so much like having a puppy. watch your step!!!!)
but he still doesnt like to poop on the potty. i almost think its cause he feels put on the spot ..idk, ive heard too many stories about boys being slower to poop potty train, so im not too hung up on it.
off er him the option. maybe itll make it more big boy.

oh yeah, dh already is showing him to lift the seat when he helps him. that helps him know that is part of the routine. AND the seat being out of the way seems to help w the aiming. ds stands w his legs touching the edge of the bowl and goes.

Advertisement

chanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 03:56 PM   #12
musicalisa
Registered Users
seller

I have no idea! My son is 27 months old but was EC'd so he's been out of diapers for some time. If I stand him up, he looks at me like I'm nuts! He much prefers to sit, so we're just sticking with that for now.
musicalisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 06:13 PM   #13
boy-oh-boy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sometime around 3 for my boys. DS2 only really potty trained a couple of months short of 3, but he switched to standing fast. We had over a year of being afraid to poop on the toilet, and I really think the big problem was that he's scared of sitting on the toilet.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:21 PM   #14
boy-oh-boy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew&West View Post
Really?! That's amazing. How did you teach without them creating a mess?! Did they learn to stand over a potty chair or stand in front of the regular potty?
For DSS, we held him up higher over the toilet and told him he was Superman. So after a while he'd come to us and tell us he wanted to be Superman, when he wanted to pee
Old 08-22-2010, 07:11 PM   #15
MorePleaseMom
Registered Users

My Mood:

My ds actually learned to pee standing up at preschool. Since they have smaller toilets, lower to the ground they just have all the boys pee standing up during breaks. He potty trained around 2.5. Now at almost 3.5 he is much better at aiming and has figured out how to hold it to ensure it's high enough to get in the potty--LOL

It's his preferred method
Old 08-22-2010, 07:37 PM   #16
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Kearnan started out peeing standing up. He was 5.5 when he potty learned though (he is autistic) so he was a good height for it. He was afraid of sitting on the toilet so it was good that he learned standing up. Tharen is 4.5 and still pees sitting. I was just thinking that it is probably well past time for him to pee standing up but he is still to short really. He has short legs and a long torso (like dh) so he would have to stand on a step stool and I am afraid that would make the whole process messier. I was considering having dh take him outside to teach him in the yard. That is how one of my nephews learned.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 11:41 PM   #17
PoshPants
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicalisa View Post
I have no idea! My son is 27 months old but was EC'd so he's been out of diapers for some time. If I stand him up, he looks at me like I'm nuts! He much prefers to sit, so we're just sticking with that for now.
our son is 5 and still prefers to sit. I don't see why boys HAVE to stand. My father sat FWIW he would only stand sometimes in public when he had to. He thought it was all kind of silly he said (and if you need to poo sitting makes it easier he would say)
Old 08-23-2010, 08:41 AM   #18
syfitz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I wish I could get ds to sit all the time. Currently he stands about half the time even though I've told him not to (he wants to "pee like daddy"). He does not have the aim nor height for a positive outcome. I can't tell you how many times I've discovered walls/floors/toilets that need to be scrubbed after he decided to stand to pee. Drives me nuts! I am now checking the bathroom every time I see him leave it......
Old 08-23-2010, 11:36 AM   #19
THBVsMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS was completely PL'd at 26 months, but didn't start standing until right at his 3rd birthday.

expecting our 2nd baby
girl next March

THBVsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 02:54 PM   #20
BranAn7881
Registered
seller

My Mood:

At first our son sat to pee too. With me being the one that worked with him the most of pting, it was "easier" to teach him to sit if you kwim. After awhile, he just started standing like his Daddy. If you want him to learn to stand while he pees, I highly recommend having your DH allow DS to watch him pee a few times. There's nothing like a visual demonstration, iykwim