Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-23-2010, 06:30 AM   #11
Greenbabybottoms
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Any daddies take off all 12 weeks FMLA?

My husband took 6 weeks FMLA that was all paid. He wasn't at risk of losing his job but it was too much for us. I was definitely glad to see him go back.

Advertisement

Old 08-23-2010, 11:28 AM   #12
cereal527
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The most my dh has taken off when I had a baby was 2 weeks, but he used vacation time. We have never been in a position that he could have taken 12 weeks off unpaid. I would have loved having him around to help for 12 weeks, but it just never would have worked out for us. I would probably send him back now if lay-offs are starting, but it may not matter. I would think if he's been an employee there for a long time, they would know his worth, even if he's been off for a while. But I don't think being seen around the job again during this type of thing would be a bad thing either.
cereal527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 11:36 AM   #13
vjbakke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We would not have been afford to do it. DH took his week of vaca the week DD was born, however I will add he wasn't too much of help because he was busy finishing up building our garage. He would have gone crazy being home for 12 wks. I only took about a month off from my part time job, all unpaid.
vjbakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 11:44 AM   #14
rosefall
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Our current plan is for DH to take three or four weeks off. He has enough sick leave accrued that he could take 12 weeks paid, but we want to make sure he still has plenty in case of an emergency.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:48 AM   #15
Pyrodjm
Registered Users
seller
seller

DH is on week two of 5 weeks FMLA. He works for the city so taking the leave wasn't a problem. He had enough time saved so that only the last week is unpaid. We would not be able to afford more than that. I'm so glad he is able to be home with us for a good while.
Pyrodjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 11:59 AM   #16
myfrugalfunlife
Banned- member requested
seller

My dh took three vacation days with all three kids-two for hospital and then one for the day after we got home. That was enough for us!
myfrugalfunlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 12:03 PM   #17
Willows
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My hubby did!

Seriously it was awesome. He was home all the time, cooked almost all the meals and pampered me to death.We had some savings so we were able to do it.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:18 PM   #18
syfitz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My dh has never taken any time off after a baby was born. I don't see why he would either. It only takes one parent to care for the baby/other kids. I wouldn't have been happy with him taking unpaid time off. He was out of work for 6 months once. We had plenty of savings, so it wasn't a financial hardship, but I was happy to see him return to work.
I have to say I can understand being at the top of a lay-off list after taking such time. As an employer I'd look at that as not being commited to the company. Vacation is one thing, but taking that much time unnecessarily would lead to me believe you don't view your job as important (unless I knew you were the sole caregiver at the time). In this economy, I think it's best to be viewed as indispensible as possible. Leaving for that long does not send that message.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:28 PM   #19
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by syfitz View Post
My dh has never taken any time off after a baby was born. I don't see why he would either. It only takes one parent to care for the baby/other kids. I wouldn't have been happy with him taking unpaid time off. He was out of work for 6 months once. We had plenty of savings, so it wasn't a financial hardship, but I was happy to see him return to work.
I have to say I can understand being at the top of a lay-off list after taking such time. As an employer I'd look at that as not being commited to the company. Vacation is one thing, but taking that much time unnecessarily would lead to me believe you don't view your job as important (unless I knew you were the sole caregiver at the time). In this economy, I think it's best to be viewed as indispensible as possible. Leaving for that long does not send that message.
Honestly, this surprises me.

First of all, if you work for a large enough company it is illegal to retalliate for FMLA. Does it happen? I am sure it does, but if it does then the person retalliated against certainly has a case to contact a lawyer and be compensated. Large companies tend to put into place layoff guidelines, often they have to do with longevity or disposability of the position. They cannot count FMLA against someone, but if their number comes up due to a layoff priority, it would have happened to that person whether or not they took FMLA.

There are laws guaranteeing FMLA because it isn't unimportant.

I don't understand why you would be upset with a DH taking FMLA time. I am sure you think that bonding between mom and baby is very important. I don't see why bonding between dad and baby is any less important. Would you condone a mother taking her 12 weeks FMLA unpaid if she knew she was going back to work? Shouldn't she maybe only take the 6ish weeks disability and go back right afterwards so that the family doesn't lose any more income.

My DH taking that 12 weeks when I returned to work was an amazing time for him and both our boys.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:36 PM   #20
Husky359
Registered Users

Wow, I really have been surprised on this board. Thought a lot of people would value the whole family time - thought it would be right up this board's alley. Not because most of you couldn't, but because some don't think we should even have done it. I was only wondering if anyone else had.

We are 31 and spent are 20s saving very hard. Our original goal was to do it to retire at 50. However, my son is very high needs and has a serious attachment to daddy, so we thought using our savings to be here for our son after our daughter was born would be worth it. I hope it has made an overall difference. I seriously hope he doesn't lose his job, but we can't plan for everything in life.

I am positive his employer sees it the way the previous poster said it, though. They see him as not dedicated. They already acted like that whenever he did his reserve duty.... tried getting him to quit the reserves and calls his reserve duty "vacation time".
Husky359 is offline   Reply With Quote