Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-24-2010, 09:08 PM   #31
Jaxence
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Mitch and Heidi----

Mitch I've been meaning to ask you if Mitch is short for something???
Just curious...My mom's name is Jeremy so I had to ask...

And someone pls tell me how to edit the title of this thread so any HS mom can feel free to jump in...???????

Advertisement

Mommy to DS#1 R/8 DD#1 A/6 DD#2 R/4 and DS#2 D/2

Last edited by Jaxence; 08-24-2010 at 09:10 PM.
Jaxence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:25 PM   #32
sjebillings
Registered Users

My Mood:

I've been reading this thread and I'm not even a HS mama. I'm in awe of those that can do it though! I can't imagine how much work it would be! I like to read about what you are doing and I think it is fantastic. I've read articles in Mothering before too, but hearing you talk is a lot more real.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:29 PM   #33
dragondance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxence View Post
Mitch I've been meaning to ask you if Mitch is short for something???
Just curious...My mom's name is Jeremy so I had to ask...

And someone pls tell me how to edit the title of this thread so any HS mom can feel free to jump in...???????
There should be an "Edit" button for the first post, and then in that screen, an "Advanced Options" button. I think.
Think you've got the LOWEST rate on your phone/Internet/TV/security? PM me & I will find you at least one lower rate (for FREE) or I'll PP you $5!! Discounts on gas & electric coming soon! I cut my own bills almost in half!
dragondance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 03:26 AM   #34
Adamsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DDCC from November!

I just saw this post. I've been hsing my kids as well (have a SN child who is 7 ... but does K level work and a typically developing 5 yr old -- plus the preschooler). I'm loving it. Some days it is a struggle to get (especially my SN child) motivated but we usually manage a couple of hours of workbooks ... and free play/art/music. I also buy extra workbooks at Dollar Tree (I also saw some in Target dollar days bin) for math, phonics, preschool subjects, handwriting, and even coloring books with real life looking animals that is good for science. My kids get excited with the new workbooks (which we supplement our other curriculum with).
Old 08-25-2010, 06:01 AM   #35
Jaxence
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjebillings View Post
I've been reading this thread and I'm not even a HS mama. I'm in awe of those that can do it though! I can't imagine how much work it would be! I like to read about what you are doing and I think it is fantastic. I've read articles in Mothering before too, but hearing you talk is a lot more real.
I have to admit I haven't even been doing it for a weeks yet, but I can honestly say that it's not what I thought it would be...It's been great...After I got our curriculum I was worried about lesson plans, and what the heck I was gonna teach...I mean do I just hand them their books? I read each book's lesson sections and searched the internet for blank lesson sheets...I ended up building my own, but they're just a basic format...Really I only did it that way cuz I'm so darn scatterbrained right now I thought I would miss something...
Anyways it sounds complex but really it's not...It's probably easier (and honestly takes less time) than getting my kids ready for a bus early in the morning and picking them up later...It's like helping them with their homework for 45 min after they come home from kindergarten...Only you get to pick the homework, and you're not left wondering what the heck that paper was all about...
Old 08-25-2010, 06:01 AM   #36
Jaxence
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragondance View Post
There should be an "Edit" button for the first post, and then in that screen, an "Advanced Options" button. I think.
Thanks Faith I would have never figured that out...27 and I can't navigate the internet to save my life...
Old 08-25-2010, 06:03 AM   #37
Jaxence
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamsmama View Post
DDCC from November!

I just saw this post. I've been hsing my kids as well (have a SN child who is 7 ... but does K level work and a typically developing 5 yr old -- plus the preschooler). I'm loving it. Some days it is a struggle to get (especially my SN child) motivated but we usually manage a couple of hours of workbooks ... and free play/art/music. I also buy extra workbooks at Dollar Tree (I also saw some in Target dollar days bin) for math, phonics, preschool subjects, handwriting, and even coloring books with real life looking animals that is good for science. My kids get excited with the new workbooks (which we supplement our other curriculum with).
Feel free to chime in...All us preggo mamas are in the same boat for homeschool...It poses it's own challenges...I like your idea about science coloring books...Yesterdays science lesson was food coloring in water, and a few carnations...We watched how plants drink all day...
Old 08-25-2010, 07:56 AM   #38
kkalltheway
Registered Users

Re: Mitch and Heidi-and the Homeschool mamas...

Im a HS mama following along Love seeing so much open discussion about homeschooling. All of my friends are young and many dont seem to really care too much about the quality of education their LO receives as long as they can get them out of their hair for a few hours a day. Im sorry but God gave me these kids to raise in admonition of Him and I have NO clue how to do that if Im sending them away most of their waking hours. We are very excited to start school again this year my oldest 2 will both be in 2nd grade and my 2.5 yo is starting a preschool program. They are all so eager to learn my DS was skipped a grade and still sails through his work my oldest would not be getting nearly the time and attention she needs to keep up if she was in the system and my youngest wants to be just like her brother and sister and brings me her numbers and letters book every morning. I was sooo scared starting out that they would miss something but now I see that they are missing things.... they are missing all the things I would want them to and nothing that I wouldnt.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:21 AM   #39
Jaxence
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Today's geography lesson is about mexico...We already colored maps and sombreros monday, skipped tues for science, and today we're gonna make homemade tortillas and have tacos for dinner....Fri we're gonna make tissue paper flowers...They are really enjoying it...DS asked me today if his noodles drink their soup like the flowers drink water in yesterday's experiment...lol...

If I had pushed him into school, like so many moms around here, it wouldn't have worked for him at all... He wasn't ready for this stuff last year...I had so many people, including family, think I was a bad mom for not putting him into an expensive preschool...That's ok though cuz I know my boy, and this works best for him...
Old 08-25-2010, 11:55 AM   #40
kkalltheway
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxence View Post
I know my boy, and this works best for him...
That is what its all about!