Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-25-2010, 03:25 PM   #41
Jaxence
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Mitch and Heidi-and the Homeschool mamas...

My Boy is loving his work right now, but it seems that my 3.5yr old needs a little more time...I think for now we're gonna work on her listening skills. It has become painfully apparent that even if she knows something she lacks the skills to follow complex instructions...OY...mostly it's frustrating cuz she wants to do everything her brother is doing but can't follow instructions right now...Looks like a week of "Simon Says" for her...So I'm revising my original plan and will be looking for something special for her until then...

Advertisement

Mommy to DS#1 R/8 DD#1 A/6 DD#2 R/4 and DS#2 D/2
Jaxence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:08 PM   #42
luvmyfam
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxence View Post
My Boy is loving his work right now, but it seems that my 3.5yr old needs a little more time...I think for now we're gonna work on her listening skills. It has become painfully apparent that even if she knows something she lacks the skills to follow complex instructions...OY...mostly it's frustrating cuz she wants to do everything her brother is doing but can't follow instructions right now...Looks like a week of "Simon Says" for her...So I'm revising my original plan and will be looking for something special for her until then...
Lakeshore Learning has great preschool toys to help keep her busy. They can be a little pricey. Also a suggestion is playdough and lots of accesories for her to play with while you all are at the table doing school. My kids love it at this age and there are even some great homeade reciepies out there. The one i love is with flour, salt, koolaid and water. no cooking required. but i also love just going and buying it cause its cheap and already made for me. My 9 yo still love playdough, as a matter of fact i need to remember to get some. Just some things that came to mind, i hope they help.

I have been married to my marine for 10 wonderful years and spend my time knitting and happily homeschooling our 9 yo girl, 6 yo boy, 18 month old girl and our newest addition arrived 30 days early on Sept 23 at 1:05 pm weighing 5 lbs 11oz.
luvmyfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:12 AM   #43
ctj101502
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

stopped at pg 2 so I didn't read everything, forgive me if I repeat what others said
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxence View Post
Wow Mitch...i was intimidated by one in kindergarten, but I can see you have 3 well in hand...And one in sixth grade...WOW...That is more than impressive to my nubishness...And all those subjects at once...Wow...
In our state we are required by law to teach a kindergartner 2 full hours, by 2nd grade they want us teaching a minimum of 4 hours a day...960 hours in a year...seems a little extreme to me since I went through every subject yesterday in 30-45 min total...
Here we have to log hours, BUT... remember, teaching 20 mins of math counts as 1 hr. The public schools do the same, they aren't doing EXACTLY 1 hr but that block counts as the time. Also if you go to a science exhibit and spend say, 4 hrs there, it still only counts as 1 hr for science, though you can count other areas such as reading, math, history for 1 hr each while there also!
We don't ahve to give notice with homeschooling in Mo, but we do have to keep records at age 7. We started school last month and are starting week 6 tomorrow. I wanted to take off when baby came till after the new yr so we got a head start! Oh and food ALWAYS works with the little ones!
Can't forget my 6 lil blessings!!!
ctj101502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:10 AM   #44
Jaxence
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanx girls for the tips...unfortunately my little Ava might as well be DS's twin...They've been inseparable since birth, and he thinks the same as her...So if one is doing something the other one wants to do the same...She wants homework really bad, but can't handle his level of stuff...I think I'll be looking for a preschool work book or 2...I may also just make preschool sheets on my computer that focus on what she's struggling with so she can practice...We'll see...

CTJ it's lousy that you have to log hours...like you don't have enough to think about while homeschooling...

Heidi I have a really good recipe with powdered milk, honey, peanut butter for playdough..so they can eat it when they are done...sounds yummy
Old 08-26-2010, 08:29 AM   #45
luvmyfam
Registered Users

My Mood:

If you are looking for more worksheet type stuff for her, www.enchantedlearning.com has great stuff. It is 20.00 per year but the stuff is level prek-3 i think. my kiddos love it. Anyways I know you will find ways to get it all to work smoothly, sometimes its just takes a few weeks to see what works and what doesnt.

I have been married to my marine for 10 wonderful years and spend my time knitting and happily homeschooling our 9 yo girl, 6 yo boy, 18 month old girl and our newest addition arrived 30 days early on Sept 23 at 1:05 pm weighing 5 lbs 11oz.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:42 AM   #46
Jaxence
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks Heidi I'll look into it...I've been looking for pages all morning that focus on all those points I wanted to touch on...I've found a few, but they won't last forever...It's so hard to get any focus out of them at this age...
Old 08-26-2010, 11:55 AM   #47
dragondance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyfam View Post
If you are looking for more worksheet type stuff for her, www.enchantedlearning.com has great stuff. It is 20.00 per year but the stuff is level prek-3 i think. my kiddos love it. Anyways I know you will find ways to get it all to work smoothly, sometimes its just takes a few weeks to see what works and what doesnt.
It goes beyond that too, with a ton of different languages & a lot of "label this" type sheets of human & animal & plant anatomy, stuff like that. Today though, we used the dinosaurs & connect-the-dots .

Whew!!!! We had school ALL morning because they wanted to. I finally got dd2 so filled up with school that she went to play while I was finished up the last thing with dd1. AAS/flashcards, making words with foam letters, a dry erase book, dry erase ABC sheets (3, including a cursive for dd1 and about a hundred identify-the-picture-and-draw-the-first-letter), MUS Primer at different lessons for each, and several worksheets at multiple points in the middle (now used as treats, lol--do this other school thing and then you can do a worksheet!). I'm tired now, lol.
Think you've got the LOWEST rate on your phone/Internet/TV/security? PM me & I will find you at least one lower rate (for FREE) or I'll PP you $5!! Discounts on gas & electric coming soon! I cut my own bills almost in half!
dragondance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 02:43 PM   #48
luvmyfam
Registered Users

My Mood:

Good idea mama on the bribing with worksheets. I think that would definatly work, esp if i let them go find and print it them selves. NOw if I only had money to buy printer ink, urrgggg it's always something. Oh and thanks for going into more depth on the website, my brain didnt even think to put all that. I love that website.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:44 PM   #49
luvmyfam
Registered Users

My Mood:

Oh and we use MUS also, i like it a lot so far.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:50 PM   #50
Jaxence
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I bribe my DS with his too...I think that's why he's so excited about his school work...he has to make his bed get dressed and all the other stuff he hates doing before we can sit and do schoolwork...He's starting to be challenged a little, but he seems to be right on track for kindergarten...
I love the animal anatomy idea, and such...What is MUS exactly???
And how in depth are these websites...I couldn't teach them another language, but does it have lessons on them that I might be able to use for them???

Last edited by Jaxence; 08-26-2010 at 02:51 PM.