Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-26-2010, 02:59 PM   #51
luvmyfam
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Mitch and Heidi-and the Homeschool mamas...

I really just use it for the printouts. It does have great info you can read to them or print off on things like a rain forest or different animals. youy should go check it out when u have a minute. MUS is math u see, a math cirriculum that uses all the senses (except smell) to teach math. My oldest is 9 and we started her on it and she has done well. she is not a child that really enjoys school, she is very drama/artsy so we take it slow with her.

Advertisement

I have been married to my marine for 10 wonderful years and spend my time knitting and happily homeschooling our 9 yo girl, 6 yo boy, 18 month old girl and our newest addition arrived 30 days early on Sept 23 at 1:05 pm weighing 5 lbs 11oz.
luvmyfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 03:03 PM   #52
dragondance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyfam View Post
Good idea mama on the bribing with worksheets. I think that would definatly work, esp if i let them go find and print it them selves. NOw if I only had money to buy printer ink, urrgggg it's always something. Oh and thanks for going into more depth on the website, my brain didnt even think to put all that. I love that website.
Two words: laser printer. Or I would be out of ink already, I think I got one on clearance years ago & it was TOTALLY worth it.
Think you've got the LOWEST rate on your phone/Internet/TV/security? PM me & I will find you at least one lower rate (for FREE) or I'll PP you $5!! Discounts on gas & electric coming soon! I cut my own bills almost in half!
dragondance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 03:06 PM   #53
dragondance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxence View Post
And how in depth are these websites...I couldn't teach them another language, but does it have lessons on them that I might be able to use for them???
This one just has worksheets but there are free Websites with basic instruction in various languages, and your library should have DVDs with basic language instruction, too.
Think you've got the LOWEST rate on your phone/Internet/TV/security? PM me & I will find you at least one lower rate (for FREE) or I'll PP you $5!! Discounts on gas & electric coming soon! I cut my own bills almost in half!
Old 08-26-2010, 03:44 PM   #54
Jaxence
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

oh I know I need to add some language instruction videos..I have a little background in Spanish, but it's been years since I used it...I like the enchanted site....it has more than I would have expected...
Mommy to DS#1 R/8 DD#1 A/6 DD#2 R/4 and DS#2 D/2
Jaxence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:59 PM   #55
luvmyfam
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragondance View Post
Two words: laser printer. Or I would be out of ink already, I think I got one on clearance years ago & it was TOTALLY worth it.
What exactly is a laser printer, are they better on ink. We actually just got a new one a couple months ago. Hubby unfortunaly printed some 30 page excersise thing and tanked the ink out. So between finances being a muck and my memory we are out of ink.

I have been married to my marine for 10 wonderful years and spend my time knitting and happily homeschooling our 9 yo girl, 6 yo boy, 18 month old girl and our newest addition arrived 30 days early on Sept 23 at 1:05 pm weighing 5 lbs 11oz.
luvmyfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:47 PM   #56
dragondance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyfam View Post
What exactly is a laser printer, are they better on ink. We actually just got a new one a couple months ago. Hubby unfortunaly printed some 30 page excersise thing and tanked the ink out. So between finances being a muck and my memory we are out of ink.
They don't use ink. They just use toner that we have replaced once in the entire time we've owned it. It's like $70 to replace it, but that once every couple of years, hey. Not bad.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:19 PM   #57
dirtmagnets
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Mitch and Heidi----

Trying to catch up...it's been a busy week here, and my sudden obsession with finally learning to knit has eaten up all of what would normally have been my computer time.

Quote:
Wow Mitch...i was intimidated by one in kindergarten, but I can see you have 3 well in hand...And one in sixth grade...WOW...That is more than impressive to my nubishness...And all those subjects at once...Wow...
Ah, but my kiddos' ages are working in my favor this year. At 11, Tyler is old enough to do most everything on his own. I help him with science experiments, check his math and grammar work, and make sure he understands the directions for everything else...it really requires almost no time on my part anymore. Ryan and James are close enough in age that they can do pretty much all of the same work and I don't worry about doing a large amount with them - compulsory school age here is 7, so we don't really HAVE to be doing anything at all. If we do half an hour to an hour a day, I'm pretty happy, and it's been plenty to keep Ryan on-track with to slightly ahead of the public school kindergartners here.
I've also been doing this since Tyler was three...8 years in to homeschooling, I've had lots of trial and error time to figure out what works best for us. It's definitely not always been as smooth as this year's started out, and I don't expect it to stay this way indefinitely. I imagine our days are going to get a lot less productive here in a few weeks - that's why we started our year so early!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragondance View Post
But all you have to do is give the state written notice that you are homeschooling. You aren't required to keep records or test or anything like that. I count the time the girls are learning--which is usually more NON-workbook time than workbook time
Kansas works this way, too. We have to have a "substantially equivalent" amount of time - 186 days, or just over 1100 hours, but we're not required to keep any sort of time log, etc. I do keep a portfolio of each boy's work each year and tend to keep the entire year's lesson plans until the next year starts, but both are for me and there's no obligation to show them to anyone.
I did keep a time log a couple of years ago, again just for myself, to see if we were anywhere near the requirements - I included time spent curled up with a book just because, time at the fencing club, other sports practices, and at the pool (gym, right?), time at activities with our homeschool group, and the six hours a week at the enrichment school. We'd hit the minimum number of hours by the first of April. I haven't bothered keeping track since then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by briggsy13 View Post
Anyone have negative feedback from their families?
My ILs thought we were crazy at first. MIL is a public school teacher and found it necessary to quiz Tyler on random things whenever we saw them at first, but after a few times finding that he knew everything she thought he should and then an evening playing Apples to Apples with the extended family a couple of years ago, when she realized that he could read better/had a more extensive vocabulary than half of the adults at the table, she backed off. My mom has been pretty supportive, but has commented from time to time about how much easier it would be for me if I'd just take them up to the school on the corner.

Quote:
Mitch I've been meaning to ask you if Mitch is short for something???
Just curious...My mom's name is Jeremy so I had to ask...
Yep, it's short for Michelle.

We also like enchantedlearning a lot and use it quite a bit with our younger ones. That's where we started with Spanish for Tyler, too - we moved on to a boxed CD/workbook program from PowerGlide last year because we'd worked through all of the just basic vocabulary worksheets I could find. He's finished the first middle-school level and has done half of the second. Once he finishes it this year, we're just going to work out of another middle school/high school Spanish book that I found at the teacher's supply store for the rest of the year. He desperately wants to learn German and I found 2 years worth of the Power Glide high school level German in the bargain books section on rainbowresource.com because the box was a little beat up, so I think next year we'll drop the Spanish for a while (or, depending on which of our enrichment "school" programs he attends, he may take a class there) and let him play with the German for the year at home.

I need to invest in a laser printer at some point, too. I spent a lot of time a couple of weeks ago making all of the copies Tyler would need from now until Christmas break, along with all of his checklists of things to do, and went through a ridiculously expensive amount of ink. At least it's done for a while, though...now I just need to get the little boys' binder filled back up. I'd just done about 6 weeks worth of copies, etc. in theirs the last time and we've worked through 4 of them. I want to have everyone's stuff ready to go up until Christmas before Leo comes.

I hope everyone's weeks ended well! Tyler's done for the week, but I need to actually DO something with the little boys...they've actually been playing together really well all day, and I haven't wanted to disturb it!
Old 08-27-2010, 02:19 PM   #58
Jaxence
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Rhonin just broke into tears wanting his homework, while I was putting Ava's worksheets together...I've found it much less stressful now that she's got a few things she can handle, but trying to prepare for her in the middle of the week was a pain...
DS is picking it up soooo much faster than I thought he would...I'm so excited...I tried many of these drills just 3 months ago and he couldn't do them now it's like a light got switched on...just the way he learns, and the primary reason I didn't send him to a preschool...Honestly I wasn't sure I'd made the right decision until now...I wondered what he missed out on...now I know better...
Mommy to DS#1 R/8 DD#1 A/6 DD#2 R/4 and DS#2 D/2
Jaxence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:45 PM   #59
Designsbybequi
Registered Users
seller

I started homeschooling my 4 year old PreVK stuff (45 mins a day), but trying to figure out what to do with my 23 month old is VERY tough!!! Today, I put on a movie for her to watch and when I went in to check on her after 10 minutes, she had found an ink pen and wrote all over our leather couch!!! Thank God our couch is old and we should have gotten rid of it last year and decided to keep it for the destruction factor, so I don't really care, but I really don't know what the heck to do to keep her busy for 45 minutes. She is very distracting and destructive if I try to include her at this point. I feed her for the first 20 minutes, then it's the last 25 minutes that are crazy. I don't know if I'm going to be able to do this homeschool thing with another newborn on the way in 5 weeks and a 2 year old and 4 year old!!! HELP!! I'm about to quit and pick it up in a year, but don't want my 4 year old behind when we start the kindergarten curriculum. We are just doing reading, writing, math right now (like letter recognition, phonics and number recognition), super easy stuff and keeping it fun but my 2 year old is beginning to stress me out too much. My 4 yr old is most alert first thing in the morning and very focused. I've tried to do homeschool during the 2 year olds nap but my 4 year old isn't in the mood anymore by that time and has lost focus. She's a morning girl and I hear to work with their natural schedule with homeschooling. I don't want to turn her off at this early of an age. It's just tough juggling the kiddos and being pregnant! I actually have to skip breakfast to sneak in homeschool and eat afterward, which when you're as pregnant as I am is tough. I'm thinking about my morning oatmeal the whole time!!! Maybe now is just a bad time for homeschooling!
Designsbybequi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:23 PM   #60
dragondance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Designsbybequi View Post
I started homeschooling my 4 year old PreVK stuff (45 mins a day), but trying to figure out what to do with my 23 month old is VERY tough!!! Today, I put on a movie for her to watch and when I went in to check on her after 10 minutes, she had found an ink pen and wrote all over our leather couch!!! Thank God our couch is old and we should have gotten rid of it last year and decided to keep it for the destruction factor, so I don't really care, but I really don't know what the heck to do to keep her busy for 45 minutes. She is very distracting and destructive if I try to include her at this point. I feed her for the first 20 minutes, then it's the last 25 minutes that are crazy. I don't know if I'm going to be able to do this homeschool thing with another newborn on the way in 5 weeks and a 2 year old and 4 year old!!! HELP!! I'm about to quit and pick it up in a year, but don't want my 4 year old behind when we start the kindergarten curriculum. We are just doing reading, writing, math right now (like letter recognition, phonics and number recognition), super easy stuff and keeping it fun but my 2 year old is beginning to stress me out too much. My 4 yr old is most alert first thing in the morning and very focused. I've tried to do homeschool during the 2 year olds nap but my 4 year old isn't in the mood anymore by that time and has lost focus. She's a morning girl and I hear to work with their natural schedule with homeschooling. I don't want to turn her off at this early of an age. It's just tough juggling the kiddos and being pregnant! I actually have to skip breakfast to sneak in homeschool and eat afterward, which when you're as pregnant as I am is tough. I'm thinking about my morning oatmeal the whole time!!! Maybe now is just a bad time for homeschooling!
Can you give her "worksheets" too? ABCs or something to draw on & feel like she's part of it?