Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-23-2010, 12:37 PM   #1
karaintx
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Question if you have a tween/teen daughter.

when did she start menstruating?
also, does you DD use cloth pads??

my daughter is almost 11 (10 days!) so i know that its coming. when?? who knows??

also, she's very 'green' like i am. i have some mama cloth that i am going to use after this baby is born. but i was wondering if i should let her decided or.....i am at a loss....she goes to public school and i don't want her to be teased. i was teased horribly in jr high and i am just super sensitive to it. I don't want her to be, even though i know it happens.

TIA!

Advertisement

Old 08-23-2010, 12:39 PM   #2
VeryChicBaby
Registered Users
Formerly: jenny342
seller

My Mood:
Re: if you have a tween/teen daughter.

The month she turned 12. She does not use Cloth. I do but that is her choice..

Jenny, Mama to many, 16, 14, 11, & 3 & & 10 mth baby girl!!

~Custom Recycled Wool Shoes ~ & Leather, OBV & Fabric Soft Soles

VeryChicBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 12:52 PM   #3
MamaWillow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD is only 7 so no experience there, but since your DD is really green, what about a cup? I think they would be great for teens since they probably wouldn't have to deal with it all day while at school, which would be a HUGE bonus. I think a Diva might be too long for a tween but there are other brands that are smaller.
Rachel, SAHM to a 9yo teenager , a 4yo charmer , and a toddling koala bear , and wife to my hard-working hubs. Mostly AP, co-sleeping (with all 3!), BFing, quite crunchy, thrifty, curly-haired mama. Loving my life.
MamaWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 12:56 PM   #4
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:

My 2nd DD got hers right before her 11th birthday. She uses cloth. She LOVES it.

My oldest DD is 13 and has not started yet, but she has signs of PCOS so it might be a while. she is going through a workup.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 01:02 PM   #5
Crew&West
Registered Users
Formerly: Crewsmom
seller

I would let her try all of the options (pads, tampons, diva cup, mama cloth) and then let her choose.

Keeping in mind that there will be a point when she'll have to change whatever it is at school. What would she rather carry around? I haven't tried my diva yet so I'm new to it, but thinking that would be hard if she had a heavy flow and then had to "rinse" it out in the bathroom sink and someone saw her, kwim? THAT would be awkward IMO. Or maybe you just put it right back in... like I said I'm new to it.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:06 PM   #6
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Be careful with cups, as in most young girls the hymen is still intact. Tampons are small enough to go around it, but cups usually are not. My 12 year old has had her period for a year and still cannot get a tampon in (she has tried so many times, so she can swim) but she is just too small.

I think pads are the way to go for the first few years if they are early starters. 11-13 or so.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 01:17 PM   #7
karaintx
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody View Post
Be careful with cups, as in most young girls the hymen is still intact. Tampons are small enough to go around it, but cups usually are not. My 12 year old has had her period for a year and still cannot get a tampon in (she has tried so many times, so she can swim) but she is just too small.

I think pads are the way to go for the first few years if they are early starters. 11-13 or so.
i was thinking the same thing. was thinking a cup would be too 'much' for a young girl. i started late, at 15 but i was a swimmer for high school and sports kept me busy.
her aunts on both side (mine/her dad) both started at 11.
karaintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 04:25 PM   #8
chello
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

why don't you talk to her about the different options, and show her some cute cloth pads, and let her decide? If she wants cloth, you could make it a special "becoming a woman" gift for her, let her pick out the styles and patterns she wants, and get her a cute wetbag for her purse or backpack. Make it special, because we all know there's precious little else that's "special" about getting your period!
Old 08-23-2010, 06:33 PM   #9
kattayanna_mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My oldest DD started her cycle Easter of 2008 she was 3 mths shy of 13.
My middle DD just turned 13 and has not started,however she's super skinny.
My oldest refuses to wear cloth pads.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:10 PM   #10
GEM Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: michellemomx3
seller

My Mood:

My niece started right before her 11th birthday and wears cloth pads when she is here, which lately has not been much at all. She uses disposable pads mostly. My daughter turned 11 in July and has not started; she has already chosen to use cloth pads. There are a few disposable pads around here and other stuff too (reusable crocheted tampons I know and I may have a few disposable ones left over from my tampon days) and she is free to try whatever she wants. I am not sure about cup use that young, those things are huge! I hope someone who knows more about this will post on this subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karaintx View Post
she goes to public school and i don't want her to be teased. i was teased horribly in jr high and i am just super sensitive to it. I don't want her to be, even though i know it happens.
Cloth pads wouldn't get her teased, nobody would even know. I was horribly embarrassed by the plastic rattling of pads in the stall and then having to throw them away in front of whoever was in the bathroom at the time. You don't hear cloth pads and don't have to throw them away either. I mentioned I wasn't familiar with cup use this young but if she is using one and it needs to be emptied you can just empty it, wipe it out with toilet paper, and reinsert it. It'll be fine until the next time it needs to be redone.
GEM Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote