Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-23-2010, 07:24 PM   #1
mycdsqueaker
Registered Users
Formerly: juliasmom92905
seller

School and Lunch....GAAAAAAH!!!!!

Last week was ODD's first week of school. Each day I packed her lunch and nearly every day the entire thing minus her yogurt and water were left in her bag.
One day I sent her with Turkey, cheese stick, bananna, yogurt stick and water.
Another day it was a peach, ham, cheese stick, animal crackers and water. Yet another was chicken nuggets, cantaloupe, yogurt and water....you get the idea.
I spoke to her teacher about it on Friday and her teacher was like, "well she does eat her lunch". When I opened her lunch bag and showed her otherwise she got kinda quiet. DD eats breakfast at school at 8 and then her lunch time is around 10. She is currently on meds that kill her appetite so it's became quite apparent that she isn't hungry at lunch time.
I explained to the teacher that I was just gonna pack a lighter lunch for her. The teacher expressed some concern about that but I assured her that DD would be offered a meal when she gets home around 230 (they also have snack in the classroom around 130ish). The teacher suggested that I let her buy lunch and I politely explained that unless someone else was going to give my DD the $1.75 per day for lunch it just wasn't gonna happen.

So today I pack her bag. I stuck in there a cereal bar, a tube of peanuts, yogurt and a water. I looked in her bag after school and it was ALL GONE. I was so excited until DD told me that her teacher got upset and wanted to know where her lunch was and that all she had was snacks for lunch

I am at a loss of what to do. I don't want to pack an entire lunch and have it keep going to waste but I certainly don't want the school thinking I am just feeding her garbage either......

Advertisement

Last edited by mycdsqueaker; 08-24-2010 at 09:39 AM.
mycdsqueaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:37 PM   #2
doodah
Registered Users
seller

Re: School and Lunch....GAAAAAAH!!!!!

what school is it? do they have some sort of policy about what foods are acceptable? if not, I don't understand why the teacher cares what you send.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:42 PM   #3
mycdsqueaker
Registered Users
Formerly: juliasmom92905
seller

It's public school....preschool
Old 08-23-2010, 07:47 PM   #4
jefesita
Registered Users
seller

I would be talking to the teacher again!
Old 08-23-2010, 08:00 PM   #5
annb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't get why the teacher has a problem. I'd say that many preschoolers eat very small lunches, and it was smart that you put in stuff that wouldn't go to waste if she didn't eat it.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:04 PM   #6
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by annb View Post
I don't get why the teacher has a problem. I'd say that many preschoolers eat very small lunches, and it was smart that you put in stuff that wouldn't go to waste if she didn't eat it.
No kidding. My 3yr old wont eat that(the last meal you sent) in one sitting and she isnt on meds that kill her appetite. I'd be talking to that teacher again...

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:06 PM   #7
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yeah that teacher needs to get this through her head. Talk to her again. And again until she gets it.
hilaryisinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:12 PM   #8
amitchell98
Registered Users
seller

I don't understand how that is "snacks" when it's all healthy. Well, probably there is sugar in the cereal bar, but I'm sure it's better than the school lunch program. Why do they have lunch so early?
Old 08-23-2010, 08:12 PM   #9
acwakip
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think it's ridiculous for them to think that the kids are going to be hungry for another meal only 2 hours after breakfast. 10am is snack time, IMO. They expect them to be hungry after 2 hours but then no meal for 4 1/2?

I say talk to the teacher again and let her know that you know what is appropriate for your child and regardless of whether it is school food or your food from home, you don't want a meal being wasted. Get a note from doc or insert from prescription outlining the issue of reduced appetite.

I am confused though, what did the teacher DO about the reduced meal, besides get upset? Did she have your daughter eat something else?
acwakip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:13 PM   #10
imasupernova
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That is strange because my daughter's preschool suggests we don't pack much because the kids don't eat all their food usually and they don't have a ton of time to eat as well.

I would definitely talk with her again.

mom to se7en rockin' kiddos
Do you Swag? You can earn FREE gift cards!
imasupernova is offline   Reply With Quote