Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-23-2010, 09:10 PM   #11
pcjs
Registered Users

Re: School and Lunch....GAAAAAAH!!!!!

I agree with others - there is a 2 hour difference between snack - lunch - snack - either - of course she's not hungry or they are overfeeding the kids and no wonder our country has a weight problem. I agree with what you did - that's plenty of food - it is basically another snack given the feeding schedule.

Advertisement

Old 08-23-2010, 10:31 PM   #12
boy-oh-boy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycdsqueaker View Post
So today I pack her bag. I stuck in there a cereal bar, a tube of peanuts, yogurt and a water. I looked in her bag after school and it was ALL GONE. I was so excited until DD told me that her teacher got upset and wanted to know where her lunch was and that all she had was snacks for lunch
Ugh. I was like that last year when I had a boy who refused to eat the food we gave, but came with a backpack full of a big bag of funions, tube of pringles, a big drink.. you get the idea. THAT is junky snacks for lunch.

Hmm. Cereal bar: grains. Peanuts: protein. Yogurt: protein and dairy. Totally not seeing what the teacher's problem was.

DSS in kindergarten would come home more often than not with his lunch box mostly full. He would only eat the baggie of cheerios that DH would pack. So DH started sending him with only a baggie of cheerios. MIL was convinced we would have DHS called on us but it never happened.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:01 AM   #13
mycdsqueaker
Registered Users
Formerly: juliasmom92905
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by acwakip View Post
I think it's ridiculous for them to think that the kids are going to be hungry for another meal only 2 hours after breakfast. 10am is snack time, IMO. They expect them to be hungry after 2 hours but then no meal for 4 1/2?

I say talk to the teacher again and let her know that you know what is appropriate for your child and regardless of whether it is school food or your food from home, you don't want a meal being wasted. Get a note from doc or insert from prescription outlining the issue of reduced appetite.

I am confused though, what did the teacher DO about the reduced meal, besides get upset? Did she have your daughter eat something else?
You would have thought she did something!

Great idea about the note from the Dr.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:03 AM   #14
mycdsqueaker
Registered Users
seller

I am gonna try and talk to the teacher again today. We'll see how it goes over seeing as I am sending J in today with peaches, yogurt, cheese stick, water and peanut butter crackers
Old 08-24-2010, 05:58 AM   #15
dailyamayzed
Registered Users

My Mood:

My DD is starting kindergarten this week and I am torn about lunch. We probably can get free or reduced lunch, but I don't know if I like the school lunches yet :-P. But I also know that if I pack (a healthy) lunch, she will be jealous of other kids with their school lunch.
dailyamayzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 06:28 AM   #16
mycdsqueaker
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailyamayzed View Post
My DD is starting kindergarten this week and I am torn about lunch. We probably can get free or reduced lunch, but I don't know if I like the school lunches yet :-P. But I also know that if I pack (a healthy) lunch, she will be jealous of other kids with their school lunch.
Maybe alternate between buying and bringing. Or maybe pack her lunch and let her buy once a week.

Seriously, the meals the school serves are interesting. I just let my daughter eat something and I couldn't even tell you what exactly it was. I think it was some kind of meat since it was on a biscut but I am not too sure.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:42 AM   #17
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailyamayzed View Post
Not to hjack OP's post, but it really depends on the school. My kids have never complained about packing a lunch, but probably 1/2 the school regularly packs. My oldest's 1st grade year, I bought the 30 lunch package and it lasted me until the end of 2nd grade. He bought on breakfast for lunch day and once in a while when they had pizzaria pizza come in. Otherwise, even if the food is good - and we have a small private school and the lunches aren't too bad - it is WAY too much lunch for a 5 year old. So much waste.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:34 AM   #18
lostiejen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That's so weird. My daughter's teacher, like someone else said, asks us not to pack too much since it never gets finished. I send her with half a PBJ, some fruit or veg or a granola bar and a juice box. That's it.

And I pack a cloth napkin, which I hope isn't too dorky.
lostiejen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:34 AM   #19
lostiejen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Double post.
lostiejen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:22 AM   #20
KrisM
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycdsqueaker View Post
Last week was ODD's first week of school. Each day I packed her lunch and nearly every day the entire thing minus her yogurt and water were gone.
What do you mean by this? That she's eating everything except the yogurt and water? Or that someone is taking it? Not sure what you mean by the entire thing being gone.

Reading later down it sounds like she's not eating a lot. If so, where is the food going?

I'd agree that 2 hours after breakfast is snack time and not another meal.

Earn gift cards or paypal at Swagbucks! Click Here to join the fun!
KrisM is offline   Reply With Quote