Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-24-2010, 09:08 AM   #21
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Does your 2-3 year old nap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
Naps are 100% mandatory in my house. DD is 3.5 and DS is 2. I would be a total trainwreck without some measure of quiteness during the day. I can only handle so much of the normal kid routine.

"Mom, can we watch a movie?" "Mom can we eat some goldfish?" "Mom can we go to the park?" "Mom can we play in the rain?" "Mommy read me this book!" "Mommy can I sit on your lap while you wash the dishes?" "Mommy can I help you cook?" "Mommy how come our dog doesn't have nipples?" "Mommy where did the cat go?" "Can I come with you in the bathroom?" "Can I take a shower with you?" "Where is Daddy? ... But I want him to come home!"

I absolutely adore them, they're my whole world and my whole life and I would give my dying breath to make sure they were happy. But, after a few hours of nonstop toddler-isms and sibling spats, I can feel my bloodshot eyes starting to twitch. ROFL.

I NEED their naptime to have some quiet and to have some time without another human touching/poking/hitting/chasing/pulling me.

So, I've decided in this house, naps will not ever end. EVER. At some point, if they prefer to sit in their rooms quietly, that's fine. But for now, even my 3.5 y/o naps everyday at least 2 hours.
Totally agree!!!! My 2.5 year old twins still nap. My 4 year old, who will be 5 in Oct, naps some days and plays quietly in his room some days. He sleep daily until just a couple of months ago. It doesn't matter to me as long as he stays in there and quiet. The toddlers usually do sleep (sometimes they fight it and don't end up falling asleep, usually they do though.) They sleep usually about 2 - 2.5 hrs. If they don't sleep they are miserable later. However, if my 4 year isn't asleep, I let him down at or before the 2 hr mark. (Usually before, but he stays in his room at least an hour.)

Advertisement

Old 08-24-2010, 09:26 AM   #22
Gitrecca
Registered Users

Yup! My 28-month-old naps usually for around 2 hours every day. I don't know what I will do when he want to stop napping, but I agree that there will always be some type of quiet time for at least an hour each day. When he's older he can read or play quietly on his bed but I need the break.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:30 AM   #23
jlcohen
Registered Users

My Mood:

Both kids nap. DS is 3 years, 2 months and DD is 23 months. My older one actually takes about an hour longer nap than my younger one most days.

I love nap time!

co-sleeping, breastfeeding, baby-wearing, extended rear-facing, cloth diapering, delayed vaccinating, part-time working mama of three sweet peas
jlcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:19 AM   #24
jmrw2
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Both my 14 mos and my 3yo nap. Nap time is right after lunch and they usually both sleep for 2-3 hours. Sometimes less for my 3yo. If he is really not tired I let him sit on his bed and read a book, but that happens probably once every other week or so. I need them to have the nap time - they are happier, and I get a few minutes to myself!
jmrw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:00 AM   #25
doodle19
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD is 2.5 and naps 2 hours daily
Old 08-24-2010, 11:29 AM   #26
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:

My oldest & youngest stopped napping at 18months, my middle one at 15months. They went to bed at 8pm & got up between 6 & 7. When they stopped napping there was about a week or so when they'd fall asleep early(6-7ish) & we'd put them to bed. their bodies adjusted.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:35 AM   #27
Just2fornow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That's a weird comment! I have a daycare and all of my kids (infant to 4yrs) take a nap from 1 to 3 (3:30) EVERYDAY! If they don't they are all terribly cranky and mean. Sometimes the older ones don't sleep but they do rest quietly
Just2fornow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:40 AM   #28
clb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS is napping now 2.5 and takes a 2 to 3 hour nap a day. We get 10.5 to 11 hours at night.
C- Proud mama to M (4/08). Loving wife to J. Excited about welcoming baby #2 into our APing, BWing, Non-Circing, Selective Vaxing, happy, hippy family in 03/11
clb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:47 AM   #29
averysydneymommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD turned 3 in June and she still takes a 1.5-2.5 hr. nap every day. If she misses her nap and we go ANYWHERE in the afternoon and ride in the car, she will fall asleep! She also will whine all evening if she is not jept busy and has not had a nap. She will even say that she is "just too tired."

My mom has babysat for 20+ years and all of the kids she watches takes a nap until they are about kindergarden age. Some still do in the summer even as old as 6-7. [She doesn't force them BTW, they all lay down for quiet rest and about 90% of the time, fall asleep].
Wife, Educator, Christian, frugalista, and trying to be more GREEN mama to DD1 (6/07) and DD2 (4/10)and TT#3!
averysydneymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:50 AM   #30
averysydneymommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
Naps are 100% mandatory in my house. DD is 3.5 and DS is 2. I would be a total trainwreck without some measure of quiteness during the day. I can only handle so much of the normal kid routine.

"Mom, can we watch a movie?" "Mom can we eat some goldfish?" "Mom can we go to the park?" "Mom can we play in the rain?" "Mommy read me this book!" "Mommy can I sit on your lap while you wash the dishes?" "Mommy can I help you cook?" "Mommy how come our dog doesn't have nipples?" "Mommy where did the cat go?" "Can I come with you in the bathroom?" "Can I take a shower with you?" "Where is Daddy? ... But I want him to come home!"

I absolutely adore them, they're my whole world and my whole life and I would give my dying breath to make sure they were happy. But, after a few hours of nonstop toddler-isms and sibling spats, I can feel my bloodshot eyes starting to twitch. ROFL.

I NEED their naptime to have some quiet and to have some time without another human touching/poking/hitting/chasing/pulling me.

So, I've decided in this house, naps will not ever end. EVER. At some point, if they prefer to sit in their rooms quietly, that's fine. But for now, even my 3.5 y/o naps everyday at least 2 hours.
I could have written this . . . and I did develop an eye twitch last spring totally due to stress (although graduate school/teaching full time/caring for the kids & house & hubby were also a contributing factor).
Wife, Educator, Christian, frugalista, and trying to be more GREEN mama to DD1 (6/07) and DD2 (4/10)and TT#3!

Last edited by averysydneymommy; 08-24-2010 at 11:52 AM.
averysydneymommy is offline   Reply With Quote