Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-24-2010, 08:03 PM   #31
mrspnut82
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: all you delay vaxing and non vaxing mamas, help me understand! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by umphreysmommy View Post
Actually regarding the AAP and the 60,000 doctors, I do not believe they have MY child's best interest at heart. I believe they have the interest of the general public at heart. I believe they are looking to eradicate disease and if there are some reactions along the way it is still better to protect the population (not so good if your child is the rare reaction). One example to me would be the Hep B vaccine given at birth for a disease the majority of the population is at no risk of contracting till at least teen years.
Wow yea never really thought of it like this, but so true.

Anyways I would definitely recommend the Dr. Sears Vaccine Book as well.

As far as circing...there is no need to cut part of my son's penis so I didn't do it. It's his penis not mine. I have DS to thank for helping me realize I had the option otherwise I might have just done it cause that's "what everyone else does".

Advertisement

mrspnut82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:53 PM   #32
*Peanut*
Registered Users
seller
seller

Last edited by *Peanut*; 09-09-2010 at 12:10 PM.
*Peanut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:00 PM   #33
Fellow Traveler
Registered Users

I have no firm opinion on vaccination, I would vaccinate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zadoklee2008 View Post
Also, not circumsizing.... I didnt know that this wasnt done either... my ped told me if i didnt my boys would get an infection. So what was your deciding factor in that, and have you had any issues with infection? gosh, i feel so uninformed and a little stupid that i had not heard about this stuff... goodness lol. Any comments are appreciated!
Your ped was greatly exaggerating. Outside the US (other first world countries) circumcision is very very rare. There is no need for it at all. Don't feel bad though, that's why places like this exist, to help educate.
Fellow Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:06 PM   #34
photomikey
Since there is reason to suspect that this user and CDMama12 are the same person and they have failed to repsond to pm's asking for clarification, both accounts are being banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by umphreysmommy View Post
Actually regarding the AAP and the 60,000 doctors, I do not believe they have MY child's best interest at heart. I believe they have the interest of the general public at heart. I believe they are looking to eradicate disease and if there are some reactions along the way it is still better to protect the population (not so good if your child is the rare reaction). One example to me would be the Hep B vaccine given at birth for a disease the majority of the population is at no risk of contracting till at least teen years.
If you vaccinate, there is a chance that you will have a reaction and die.

If you don't vaccinate, there is a chance that you will get a disease and die.

Scientific research tells us that there is a greater chance you will get a disease and die than you will get a vaccination and die. So AAP recommends that we all vaccinate our children, basically guaranteeing that some of them will die. Because if we don't vaccinate, statistically, more of them will die.

It doesn't really matter if I dispose of my waste in the trash can, or in the gutter in front of my house. It is pretty windy here, and the trash just blows away after a day or two. There is so little of it and so much open space around, it blows away and I never see it again. It would be a great disservice to me to take it to the can - it is all the way behind the garage, and THEN I have to drag it to the curb... EVERY WEEK! Really, if 1 or 2 percent of society just pitched their trash in the street, it wouldn't be that big of a deal. But at some point, 10% and then 50% and eventually 100% of society would pitch their trash in the street instead of in the trash can, and we'd all be slogging through trash to get from place to place. ICK! So we regulate that trash must only be thrown in a trash can, even though it is individually more convenient and safer (not risking those run-ins with raccoons) to throw it in the street... because as a society, we are better off with the inconvenience and risk of canning our trash, so we as a group can have clean, disease-free streets.

Last edited by photomikey; 08-24-2010 at 10:08 PM.
photomikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:50 PM   #35
peaches330
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Peanut* View Post
I'm just wondering if non vaxers EVER vax, or if they do later on in life (if they go overseas or anything like that). Like what if you can't find someone with CP to give it to your kids, then will you vax when they are older? Plus, there are some things that aren't as innocuous as chicken pox, that you wouldn't dare expose your kids to. Like how do you protect your kids from rubella or mumps... do you just pray they they will never come in contact with someone who has it? Or do you get the vax later in life?

Maybe the vax didn't work for you, but they do work for many other people. If I got a vax for something and it didn't take, then at least I knew I did what I could to protect myself (and my unborn children). That way if I did get whatever it was, I wouldn't be racked with guilt thinking that I could have done something to prevent it.
Mumps and Rubella are both pretty innocuous, they're just not as common as CP. I've had Rubella and my mom said it was one of my more mild measle experiences. Rubella is mainly dangerous if a pregnant woman gets it (as we discussed earlier) however CP can be dangerous to a pregnant woman as well. I think that most people who don't vax, pretty much never vax. I think a lot of it is that the illnesses that they're most likely to get out of the regularly administered vaccines are typically not deadly and as a young person they probably wouldn't have a hard time fighting them off. By the time they're getting old enough to where they would have a harder time fighting an illness they'd most likely be close to/well into adulthood so it wouldn't really be your decision at that point anyways.

I get what you're saying. My DD is partially vaxxed (mainly because I didn't know that I really had a choice. I was told it was considered child abuse to not vax so I never really questioned it until I was pregnant with DS1 ) But the being racked with guilt can go both ways if you have a child who has a negative reaction to a vaccine. Whether it is common or not you would still feel guilty for pumping something into your childs body that caused them to be impaired in some way or in some cases even die because of it. I am honestly still unsure of if I want to do certain vaxxes so I'm not super anti-vax for everybody, to each his own. I just know for certain I'm passing up stuff like CP and MMR and if I do vax for anything it will be very delayed.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:07 AM   #36
Nightowl Jan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So, for my first baby i just went along with everything... but with my latest, 6.5 years after #1, I had learned more...but to be honest I still have not fully read up on the whole Vaccination thing...My baby is 11 months old and we chose delayed vaxing and skipped the hep B at the hospital. We have midwives running around everywhere here in our small town and they seem to rule the hospital so we had to probs there. We have been doing the shots in succession but we delay...for instance I think at the 6 month app. we chose to only do one out of a possible 4 and they said we could come back in a month but we didn't, then at the 9 month app. we made up for the missed ones but skipped the normal ones for the 9 month app...so now with the 1 year check up we will probably do one or two that we skipped at 9 months..soo basically over time we will have just waited alot longer than other kids and be doing boosters at an older age.

I just do not like all that stuff in that little body all at once. spread it out!
Old 08-25-2010, 12:54 AM   #37
Samandy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photomikey View Post
If you vaccinate, there is a chance that you will have a reaction and die.

If you don't vaccinate, there is a chance that you will get a disease and die.

Scientific research tells us that there is a greater chance you will get a disease and die than you will get a vaccination and die. So AAP recommends that we all vaccinate our children, basically guaranteeing that some of them will die. Because if we don't vaccinate, statistically, more of them will die.

It doesn't really matter if I dispose of my waste in the trash can, or in the gutter in front of my house. It is pretty windy here, and the trash just blows away after a day or two. There is so little of it and so much open space around, it blows away and I never see it again. It would be a great disservice to me to take it to the can - it is all the way behind the garage, and THEN I have to drag it to the curb... EVERY WEEK! Really, if 1 or 2 percent of society just pitched their trash in the street, it wouldn't be that big of a deal. But at some point, 10% and then 50% and eventually 100% of society would pitch their trash in the street instead of in the trash can, and we'd all be slogging through trash to get from place to place. ICK! So we regulate that trash must only be thrown in a trash can, even though it is individually more convenient and safer (not risking those run-ins with raccoons) to throw it in the street... because as a society, we are better off with the inconvenience and risk of canning our trash, so we as a group can have clean, disease-free streets.
That's really easy to say when you don't have a dead baby. I have to live the rest of my life knowing that my "bagging my garbage" killed my daughter.
I really hope that you never have to know what that feels like, then to have people tell you oh well, less people will die because of it, and make stupid little analogies about garbage.

I don't understand how people can think getting a disease by chance is the same as injecting something into your babies body that has a "chance of a reaction" and killing them. And can someone point me in the direction of all the scientific research regarding vaccinations and side effects. Who is doing these studies?

I know my pediatrician did not even report my daughters death, she tried to tell me that we didn't tell her office, that's why they never reported it. For the record, they were told by us on several occasions, including right after she died when we called to cancel her next appointment.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:02 AM   #38
katie-did-2
Registered Users

My Mood:

Don't feel too bad - I was uninformed as well... I have 5 and 3 year old sons who are, but 3 month old baby boy will definitely not be!
katie-did-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 03:09 AM   #39
Pyrodjm
Registered Users
seller
seller

I will keep my answers short.

I don't vax because I do not trust the chemicals in vaccines and I have seen children severely damaged by them. I also researched the diseases and determined that for us the risk contracting them is not worth this rick of vaccinating for my family.

I and against routine infant circumcision because I don't feel it is a parent's right to remove a part of their son's healthy genitalia for cosmetic reasons. Foreskin serves a purpose and boys/men left intact have are NOT inherently dirtier or more prone to infection. Most of the world (think Europe, South America,etc) doesn't routinely circ and these men aren't all walking around with filthy, infected penises.

Only you can decide what is best for your family in these areas, but yes the IS a choice.
Pyrodjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:38 AM   #40
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samandy View Post
That's really easy to say when you don't have a dead baby. I have to live the rest of my life knowing that my "bagging my garbage" killed my daughter.
I really hope that you never have to know what that feels like, then to have people tell you oh well, less people will die because of it, and make stupid little analogies about garbage.

I don't understand how people can think getting a disease by chance is the same as injecting something into your babies body that has a "chance of a reaction" and killing them. And can someone point me in the direction of all the scientific research regarding vaccinations and side effects. Who is doing these studies?

I know my pediatrician did not even report my daughters death, she tried to tell me that we didn't tell her office, that's why they never reported it. For the record, they were told by us on several occasions, including right after she died when we called to cancel her next appointment.
And exactly!
Love how people say they are not being judgmental and believe we all have the best interests of our children at heart, yet their posts certainly state otherwise.
Terra is offline   Reply With Quote