Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-24-2010, 07:14 PM   #1
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Non-vaxed asthmatics....question

DD just got diagnosed with asthma and her trigger is illness like a cold. My mom is now jumping on me to get her vaxed which I do not want to do. But then again I think what if she did get something that threw her into a massive asthma attack? A mama on here pointed out that vax would lower her immune system so if I did do them it needs to be in the summer when germs aren't so plentiful. Any one have asthmatic children with illness triggers that doesn't vax? Or does? What is your reasoning?

Advertisement

Old 08-24-2010, 09:37 PM   #2
Bethan_77
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Non-vaxed asthmatics....question

Not sure about today but when I was a kid my doc reallly reallllly pushed for flu vaxed due to asthma. Unfortunately, I had neurological problems with the flu vaccine, so that never really worked out.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:19 PM   #3
photomikey
Since there is reason to suspect that this user and CDMama12 are the same person and they have failed to repsond to pm's asking for clarification, both accounts are being banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaileysMommy View Post
DD just got diagnosed with asthma and her trigger is illness like a cold. My mom is now jumping on me to get her vaxed which I do not want to do. But then again I think what if she did get something that threw her into a massive asthma attack? A mama on here pointed out that vax would lower her immune system so if I did do them it needs to be in the summer when germs aren't so plentiful. Any one have asthmatic children with illness triggers that doesn't vax? Or does? What is your reasoning?
Doctors spend years in school to learn the most minute triggers that make the human body change in mysterious ways. Why not ask a doctor, instead of a forum poster who kills time on the internet between breakfast and lunch?

I'm not even saying you are forced to take the advice of a doctor, but why not even ask? What's in it for them to lie?
photomikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:47 PM   #4
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:

My son is a severe asthmatic. Illness, pollen, cockroaches, dust mites etc. We dont vaccinate. He was vaccinated, but we stopped before his asthma diagnosis.

With his 4 maintenance meds a day (and his rescue meds when needed) he is kept in great control. I dont worry that a flu/illness will make him worse. In fact when we all get colds/flu he is always better off than anyone else because his maintenance meds keep his airways so clear.

Since he had the pertussis vaccines (the whole series) I dont worry about the other illnesses triggering him, because you cannot vax for a common cold anyways, or bronchitis, sinus infections etc, you can do flu vaccine, but it just wasnt worth it for us because his meds work great.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:21 AM   #5
jodihernandez
Registered Users

My Mood:

Iam an asthmatic and although I do vax the only one I can think of that helps with pulminary irritation that triggers asthma is whooping cough. I live in Ca were we are having an eppidemic of it so it is a big thing here but as for other places I am not so sure. The things like colds, bronchitis, neumonia ext can not be vaccinated anyway. I would say a bigger help would be airing the house out EVERY DAY and a air purifyer with the asthma associations seal of approval would be more useful. just my opinion from experiance.

Jodi
jodihernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:15 AM   #6
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photomikey View Post
Doctors spend years in school to learn the most minute triggers that make the human body change in mysterious ways. Why not ask a doctor, instead of a forum poster who kills time on the internet between breakfast and lunch?

I'm not even saying you are forced to take the advice of a doctor, but why not even ask? What's in it for them to lie?
That was uncalled for and IMO rude. If u cant help then dont reply.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:32 AM   #7
Shalom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I agree, that was rude IMO, too. Many Doctors nowadays pill push (IMO) more often than not, so I can totally see why this mama is asking others with experience on the subject. Wow, I thought DS mamas were nicer than that! Sorry, I don't have any advice....I've not been there, but I hope you get some good counsel on this and make the very best decision for your family :-)

The hurt a troubled child creates is never greater than the hurt they feel inside. -T.
Shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:32 AM   #8
emilyinmichigan
Registered Users
seller

I'm severely asthmatic and we do vax but I agree with pp who commented that the triggers for asthma aren't typically the illnesses that are covered by vax. I wouldn't think that your son's diagnosis should impact whatever made you decide to not vax in the first place.

Maintaining as trigger free an environment as possible, always having an emergency inhaler available, and keeping up on whatever meds are prescribed has worked for me.

DS is asthmatic as well but not yet on any maintenance drugs. We have a nebulizer with albuterol for when he has an attack but so far that's only happened a very few times and each time has been when he's had a respiratory illness (knock on wood, nothing for over a year).
Old 08-25-2010, 02:30 PM   #9
CherryPie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't do the flu vax but in that case I would and I would do it early in the season before the flu season really get big.

GetSafeScents.com- New Spring/Summer 2014 catalog is out!
Join Scentsy | Scentsy Closeout Section
Follow me on Instagram: @SarahB00)
CherryPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:45 PM   #10
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks mamas. The advice has been great