Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-01-2007, 01:03 PM   #1
katmarie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Question Abdominal Problems

DS has reflux, but I've felt for some time that he has some other stomach issues going on. Despite being on Zantac, he still acts like he's in pain and it is happening more often lately. It is the worst at night. I don't think it is caused by the reflux, as his behavior is different.

His fussiness comes on suddenly and he gets distressed about it. When it's mild, he whines and if he's sitting, he pushes his hands down on his thighs and grunts, or he arches backward (I know that's associated with reflux too). If I'm holding him, he draws up his legs and tries to crawl up me. His cry sounds very gutteral/grunty. A lot of times, especially at night, it seems he has problems with gas. He wakes frequently, crying and writhing. Sometimes I can simply crunch his legs up into his stomach and he'll fall back asleep, but usually I have to nurse him and sometimes I have to get out of bed with him and bounce him back to sleep.

ETA: He also rubs his feet together really really hard, and he often brings his hands to his head.

Today he had a little mucousy blood in his diaper with a small amount of greenish poop. (He often has green poop). He had two HUGE poops earlier this morning after about 36 hours without one. He always goes at least once a day and usually 2-3 times.

Anyway, does this sound like your babe, and if so, do you have a diagnosis, or is it "nothing?" I've been trying to do some research today, but don't have much time. I'm wondering if it could be intussusception. I don't know. I called the ped. after the blood, but he's out of the office today, so I won't hear back until tomorrow.

Advertisement

Last edited by katmarie; 03-01-2007 at 01:21 PM.
katmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 02:51 PM   #2
katmarie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Abdominal Problems

Also, I don't know if this is relevant, but he's always been a short nurser. Five minutes is about normal for him even if it's been a few hours. His weight gain is normal, so I've never been concerned. I started introducing solids at 6.5 months and he's never been interested in more than about 1/2 tablespoon, maybe a little more, at a time. I haven't pushed the solids, but just offer and let him eat as much as he's willing. He's eight months now.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:50 PM   #3
camdensmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Um wow. Check out foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. I can almost guarantee that this is what your son has. My daughter had this too. It is caused by having an oversupply of milk and your son getting too much foremilk and not enough hindmilk. It can cause reflux. It caused reflux in my daughter and as soon as we cleared up the imbalance her reflux went away and I dropped the meds. Just type in the term into google and you will find a lot of information. The short nursing sessions also are a good indicator. To clear it up you need to do some block nursing sessions. Nurse on the same side for multiple feedsings before offering the other breast. Please PM me with any questions. I'm happy to help.

p.s. the green poo is what tipped me off to research too. I googled green breastfed baby poo for a long time even though my doctor told me it was normal. when i told him my diagnosis and how I cleared it up he was impressed and took notes from ME. LOL

Last edited by camdensmommy; 03-01-2007 at 03:52 PM.
camdensmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 03:55 PM   #4
supermomelisa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

the PP had great insight, I wish I would have known the hindmilk thing when dd #2 was a babe, ughh. I wanted to add, your little guy may have been a bit constipated also, causing the huge poops and mucousy, bloody discharge. But deff. talk to your Ped about it.
Poor little guy, and Mama, hugs to you both, and I hope this gets cleared up
Old 03-01-2007, 03:56 PM   #5
katmarie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, I started block feeding many months ago, and sometimes his poops are normal and sometimes not. They're green more than half the time. I guess I didn't know if there was anything beyond block feeding that helps.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:59 PM   #6
katmarie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Coul it be constipation even if he didn't have hard stools. They're always real watery.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:21 PM   #7
RodentRanger
Registered Users

My Mood:

Last edited by RodentRanger; 03-12-2008 at 11:50 PM.
RodentRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 04:27 PM   #8
katmarie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have been off dairy since he was a month, but maybe I need to look at gluten too. Ugh.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:28 PM   #9
MommaRhi
Registered Users
Co-Op Hostess
seller
seller

My Mood:

I agree w/ another poster in saying its a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. That almost always causes green poop and gassiness. Nursing for 5 min. does not allow enough time for the thinner milk to come down. If he's just getting the thicker milk, it may be causing tummy problems.

Normally reflux subsides by 6 mos, and he's already 8 mos? Try nursing him longer and more frequently. I bet this will help alot.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:21 PM   #10
Leininger27
Banned

My Mood:

I would suggest switching reflux meds. Zantac does not stop the acid production, just makes it a little more tolerable! Personally I think it is CRAP!

Also has his dosage been changed lately? If not it might need to be adjusted because he is growing!

I have had 3 kids with reflux now and I would definitely say it still sounds like reflux. I think the Zantac is not working for your ds and that you should look into other medications. We have been through quite a few meds with each of my kids.

If you have any questions please pm me!
Leininger27 is offline   Reply With Quote