Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 08-25-2010, 03:16 PM   #1
Registered Users
Cosleeping to Crib Transition

Does anyone have some advice on the cosleeping to crib transition process?

My daughter is 5 months old and we have just started transitioning to her crib at night. She naps in it during the day and starts in it at night, but it seems like each night the length of time she is spending in the crib before returning to our bed is decreasing!

It is mostly out of laziness that we don't put her back into her crib after calming her down/feeding her (she is still EBF) but instead bring her straight to our bed. We get better sleep that way! I am not really a fan of letting her CIO either. However, this transition will have to happen at some point... so any advice?

vicki.schow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 03:18 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Cosleeping to Crib Transition

Dr. Sears, from the doctors show (not the dad, but the son) said 6 months is the optimal time. There were lots of tips I read in the no cry sleep solution by elizabeth pantly, but I don't remember them (my kiddos still co-sleep, I never really tried). What if you put it sidecar to your bed for a while maybe?
Shop at Please bookmark, share, and use Madi's link. She earns 4% back and the money goes for therapy items insurance won't cover!
Mom to Conner & Madilynn & wife to handsome DH David!
Read my blog about my Madi who has spina bifida & hydrocephalus
jveprek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 03:32 PM   #3
Fire In The Disco
Registered Users
My Mood:

I'm a huge fan of extended co-sleeping, especially if everyone's getting sleep still. Why mess with success?

In all seriousness, the experience I have with my sister's kids and my best friend's kids all have convinced me that children will choose to go sleep in their own bed without any fuss whatsoever if you let them make the choice. So Cecilia's going to sleep with us until she doesn't want to anymore. Most likely it will be a transition from our bed to another bed with no crib in between.
* * * * Aimee, wife to Chris * * * *
* * * * Mama to Cecilia Ivy, born April 6, 2010!* * * *

Putting that Early Childhood Development degree to good use these days!
, , ,
Fire In The Disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 03:39 PM   #4
Nightowl Jan
Registered Users
My Mood:

I was always against the cry it out method too. I have an 11 month old and i transitioned from co-sleeping to crib a few mtonhs ago but am still fine tuning it for she nurses 2 times during the night still . I had her cry a little because she didn't like being left alone. Her crib is in our room so she isn't really alone. She would see me lying in bed her and I would calmy reassure her every 5-15 minutes that she was ok and I loved her and it is time to sleep. She cried really hard the first night, then kind of hard the next night and only 10 minutes the 3rd night and then after she would either go right to sleep or fuss for a few minutes.

I used the pointers inthe Sleep Easy Solution book. The reason I transitioned is becasue our baby would sit up and roll around and get mad and wake up alot and try to crawl off the egds of the bed by climbing over us. After the first week of showing her that sleeping on her own is good, she seemed to agree and want it. Now instead of nursing a bazillion times a night she wakes 2 times and I am working on getting it down to either 1 or none. I nurse her as the last thing I do before bed and then lay her down and it seems like if I am holding her too long she will lean towards the crib to be put down! She is dstill working on it all but overall she is getting alot more sleep and so am I!
Night Jan
Nightowl Jan is offline   Reply With Quote