Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-29-2010, 06:21 PM   #11
Chrijodo
Registered Users
Formerly: RiverDrakesMomma
seller

My Mood:
Re: Delayed walking and development question..

Personally I would get an evaluation through Early Intervention. You don't need a referral from your doctor for it so just find the local office and give them a call. "They" say that not walking by 18 months is a "red flag" and he may benefit from a little bit of physical therapy to give him a boost in the right direction.

Advertisement

Chrijodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:00 AM   #12
momnb4
Registered Users

My Mood:

My DS was born at 34-35 weeks and was 3 14 at birth and spent 12 days in nicu for jaundice and temp control.He walked right on time at 13 months but at 21 months he is still not talking alot and food is a huge issue.He is still nursing right now and some table foods.
One of my term babies did not walk until he was 17 months and spoke in sentences before his first bday!Family doc said they can only concentrate on one skill at a time.
Old 09-05-2010, 04:24 PM   #13
Luvingmy4boys
Registered Users
Formerly: sahmto3boys
seller

My Mood:

In this past week, he has decided to crawl on his hands and knees alot more than usual and today DH found him standing up alone in his crib for the first time so I guess he'll just walk when he's ready. I'm going to give him a little more time since the doctor isn't too worried about it yet.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:57 PM   #14
KristieMcNealy
Registered Users

My Mood:

I wouldn't worry about the walking yet, but have you brought up the sitting part with your ped? At 18mos he should definitely be able to get into a sitting position and be stable sitting on his own. My 31 weeker had PT because she couldn't get to a seated position at 11 months.

Blogging about women's and children's health at http://www.kristiemcnealy.com
KristieMcNealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:29 AM   #15
Luvingmy4boys
Registered Users
Formerly: sahmto3boys
seller

My Mood:

They have seen him at the office when they go to weigh him or sit him up that he doesn't hold steady. The newest thing he is doing now is sitting in a kneeling position on top of his legs. When he does that he is perfectly fine and stable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristieMcNealy View Post
I wouldn't worry about the walking yet, but have you brought up the sitting part with your ped? At 18mos he should definitely be able to get into a sitting position and be stable sitting on his own. My 31 weeker had PT because she couldn't get to a seated position at 11 months.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:03 PM   #16
IsaacsMom2009
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

My DS was born at 36 weeks. He weighed 7lbs 14oz and was 21in tall. At 6 weeks old, he could roll over and hold up his head. He started eating solids at 4 months and started really babbling up a storm around 6 months. He started walking by himself consistently around his first birthday (and weaned himself) and at 18 months, he has no bottles, no pacifiers, eats solid foods, and can climb like mad and run like the wind. My only concern is that he doesn't say anything we can understand.

He makes animal noises, and he understands what we say, and he can follow up to three steps of directions, but he does not say words. What's funny is that if you ask him to tell you a story he will go on for about a minute or two and when he stops, if you ask him to tell you the story again, he 'says' the exact same thing. All of the noises and syllables and inflections are the same. We just have NO IDEA what he's saying... I'm hoping he starts saying something intelligible soon. I feel so bad for him when he is OBVIOUSLY explaining something to me, and I have no idea what he's saying. Honestly, it makes me feel dumb LOL.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:34 PM   #17
cjslater1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It makes me feel better knowing that my son isn't the only one not talking...it feels that way sometimes.

Last edited by cjslater1; 10-06-2010 at 12:38 PM.
cjslater1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:37 PM   #18
cjslater1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaacsMom2009 View Post
18 months, he has no bottles, no pacifiers, eats solid foods, and can climb like mad and run like the wind. My only concern is that he doesn't say anything we can understand.

He makes animal noises, and he understands what we say, and he can follow up to three steps of directions, but he does not say words.
That is so my son. He was born last May at about 3 wks early. He has done everything pretty on target besides the talking. My mom has started pushing us working with him on it and I do (even bought the insanely expensive baby can read program) he babbles and will coppy sounds and does awesome sound effects that I didn't even teach him, but no real words. All he wants to do is run. Maybe it is a boy thing?
cjslater1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 07:38 PM   #19
vmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Hey mama! How's your babe doing? I wanted to encourage you to get an evaluation from early intervention if you haven't already. Pediatricians see masses of children and because development is so individual, they often don't take the time to evaluate the entire picture. Your son is definitely delayed physically. He should be sitting upright without a problem, going in and out of the sitting position, pulling to a stand and cruising at the very least. Our physical therapist told me that babies sit on their knees as you described because it's easier and it does not take as much strength. This type of sitting should be discouraged. I have a 24 weeker that is 18 months actual/14 adjusted and with the help of PT she is walking. The longer you wait to get services, the more difficult it will be for your son to catch up. Good luck mama
Old 11-08-2010, 09:23 PM   #20
kar5162
Registered Users

Agree with the PP. Sitting on their knees is an easier form of sitting and the fact that he's still unstable while sitting on his bottom indicates he has some core strength issues. EI can help significantly. He's definitely getting close to a point when he should be walking, but the lack of stable sitting is the biggest red flag. Some therapy now will help get him going faster down the right path which will be good for him long term.
kar5162 is offline   Reply With Quote