Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-27-2010, 06:59 PM   #1
dancermommy1
Registered Users
seller

How much of a milk freezer stash do you need?

Okay, I'm a little OCD about pumping, and had to pump after a mastitis bout anyway, so I currently have a 7 week old and close to 150 ounces stored up in the deep freeze. I have no idea how much milk I should store before it gets silly. Right now I'm almost obsessive, it's like a game to see if I can freeze at least 5 oz a day.

So... Thoughts? I will be going back to Part-time work in another month, and I'll be pumping there for day care, so I'd only need a couple days worth for that, right?

Advertisement

Please Visit my ETSY store benefiting women and children in poverty! http://www.etsy.com/shop/conspiracyoflove

YOU can make a difference in developing countries, one precious child at a time! http://conspiracy-of-love.blogspot.com
dancermommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:03 PM   #2
jpabruzzese
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How much of a milk freezer stash do you need?

Well I can't answer you, b/c I'm in similar position. Except I don't have a deep freeze and it's all beings stored in the refrigerator/freezer until I can bring some to my mom's and store it in her deep freeze. I probably pump about 4-6oz daily, and I'm a stay at home mom. Ds hardly ever gets a bottle. Has probably only had one about six times! It's a game for me too, for some reason I'm getting a kick out of seeing how much I can pump, and I only pump once a day after ds goes to bed usually. Now if I had to do this daily several times a day I don't think it would be such a "game." I just feel better knowing I have lots of bags of milk in the freezer.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:15 PM   #3
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just pump and pump and pump. For me personally, I like having as much as possible. I feel like you never know when you might suddenly need it. I have a deep freezer, so the milk is good for up to a year. But, as I approach the 6 month mark, I will probably donate 100oz or more. I am also a SAHM. I pump every night and get 8-12 oz. I am nursing twins. I have about 420oz frozen and my twins are 4.5 months. It would be like having about 210 oz per baby. They get very few bottles also, 1-2 a week per baby. I plan to use it to mix with their food in a few months. I don't plan to stop. I like the security of it.

So, how much you need is based on your comfort level. But, if I was going back to work, even part time, I would definitely just keep freezing and freezing. You could end up donating to a baby in need later on.

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 08-27-2010 at 07:18 PM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:41 PM   #4
xbaber
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I started working when DD was 5 months old. I had quite the stash built up, but I don't remember anymore how much. When she was about 10 months old I realized that I wasn't keeping up with her demands anymore. I completely ran out of frozen milk about a month later. By that time DD was set in her ways and new that breast milk was best. She refused to drink formula even if it was blended with BM. So I say, freeze as much milk as you can.

One comment though is to make sure your baby will drink the frozen milk. A friend of mine's son would drink freshly pumped milk from a bottle, but did not like frozen milk. No clue what the problem was.
xbaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:04 PM   #5
Karibean
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbaber View Post

One comment though is to make sure your baby will drink the frozen milk. A friend of mine's son would drink freshly pumped milk from a bottle, but did not like frozen milk. No clue what the problem was.
Some women have an enzyme in their milk that keeps breaking down the milk even when it's frozen. So, basically it rots in the freezer. A friend of mine pumped and froze a ton of milk--only to find out she had this enzyme and all her milk had spoiled in the freezer. What a bummer!
Old 08-27-2010, 10:18 PM   #6
RobynJ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Remember too once you go back to work your period will start and you won't produce as much then. Also, stress and being away from baby can make you get less from a pumping session. I would aim to have too much.

I would make sure that the LO is okay with the frozen milk.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:57 PM   #7
LadybugMonkey
Registered Users
Formerly: Confused mum
seller
seller

My Mood:

I hated pumping so I only would keep about 12oz in the freezer at any time. Enough so I could go and play soccer a couple nights a week.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:14 AM   #8
dancermommy1
Registered Users
seller

Ok this makes me feel better about just continuing to store it up! Thanks!

Please Visit my ETSY store benefiting women and children in poverty! http://www.etsy.com/shop/conspiracyoflove

YOU can make a difference in developing countries, one precious child at a time! http://conspiracy-of-love.blogspot.com
dancermommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 09:39 PM   #9
jenbengtson
Registered Users

My Mood:

man I wish I could get that much of a stash going, but I can't even get 4 a day out, I don't know how to keep my supply up..i need to see a LLL
Old 08-28-2010, 09:54 PM   #10
isaacsmum
Registered Users

A few days worth should be fine, because you'll probably find you can mostly replace the milk used each day with what you pump at work. Sounds like you've had a lot of success with the pump so far. I was back at work 7 week pp, and I definitely didn't have that kind of a freezer stash by that point! I think I had maybe 100-120oz? I will say that you may want to give thawing some of the milk a try soon to see if it is still good. I know sometimes - depending on the composition of your milk - it doesn't thaw well and baby may not take it, and you'd have to rely on recently pumped milk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobynJ View Post
Remember too once you go back to work your period will start and you won't produce as much then. Also, stress and being away from baby can make you get less from a pumping session. I would aim to have too much.
I don't think that's true about period starting due to going back to work. I think it is different from person to person. My period stayed away for over a year after I went back to work full time. Never had a problem with pumping less either - usually I pumped more because of the skipped nursing session. But certainly having a bigger stash is better.

Last edited by isaacsmum; 08-28-2010 at 09:57 PM.
isaacsmum is offline   Reply With Quote