Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-06-2011, 05:26 PM   #91
fluffybunsdiapers
Registered Users
Formerly: paulzangel
seller

My Mood:
Re: Introduce your Preemie(s)!

Hi-my lo is almost 3 now-but was a 35 weeker. We were so happy that she made it that far! I had a difficult pregnancy and started going into preterm labor at 20 weeks-almost lost her that time and thank God everyday that the doctors were finally able to stop the contractions! I was on bed rest and muscle relaxers to slow the contractions-still ended up back in the hospital in labor several times, got steroid shots-just incase to help her lungs-I was very blessed with my baby girl at 5 lb 11 oz! She ended up being breech with her butt heading down and in distress with every contraction so we had an emergancy c-section. A few health problems but got to go home with me 5 days later YAY! but had drs visits 2-3x a week to check her weight and other things but I was okay with that because I was lucky to have my baby home with me. At a month exactly she got RSV, pnmonia and broncitus and had to go to the children's hospital for a week-got close to loosing her-but again God blessed us-she truley is my miracle!

Advertisement

Old 01-13-2011, 03:10 PM   #92
pacey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my dd was born 36.4 but I was induded due to high blood pressure. She was 5lbs 15oz and was in the Special care nursery for about 6 hours after birth.

DS I had preterm labor at 25 weeks, and was on bedrest until 31 weeks when my water broke(not completly) I was in the hospital on bedrest until finally labor started at 36 weeks 3 days. He was 6lbs 8 oz and was healthy and happy.

This time I am off work already 22 weeks. I got for the steriod shot in 2 weeks, and the dr is taking every percausion possible for me to go to term.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:19 PM   #93
happymommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsmom99 View Post
My 35w5d DS was born almost 13 years ago and weighed 7 pounds ( I am positive of the week I got pregnant)! He weighed 11 pounds on his due date! Now hes taller than me!!!!!

btw Chrijodo I live in Orange Park too!!! Small world!!! Congrats on your beautiful girls!
That sounds like my 2nd he was born at 35w4d 7lbs 2,5oz I know the week I got pregnant as well.

My first dd was born at 38 weeks 7lbs - we had some issues during pregnancy bleeding at 30 weeks two nights in the hospital then my cervix started to shorten. I went off work early and made it to 38 weeks.
I got pregnant with #2 when #1 was 8 months old. I had a good pregnancy for the most part, could tell he was bigger. At 34 weeks I started to have pre term labor, spent a week going to the hospital to get monitored he was born at 35weeks 4 days. He was bigger then my first! Spent a week in the NICU, he had jaundice and was on an IV for a few days, overall did well. He is now 2 his only issue is Asthma. He was diagnosed with it at 13 months. We are currently ttc #3.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:26 PM   #94
MySonsClothBum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DS was born at 33weeks because i had pre-eclampsia. he was 4lbs, 12oz and 19.5" long.
his lowest weight was 4lbs 6oz.
he stayed in the NICU 10 days and then was in the 2nd level nursery until he was 1 month old.
he had standard 33weeker issues: PDA(heart murmur-corrected with medication), jaundice(not requiring light therapy), breathing issues(needed CPAP and he had respiratory distress syndrome requiring ventilator) reflux(outgrew at 9 months actual age), feeding issues/gaining issues(i pumped breastmilk/attempted to nurse for 9w, then he drank thickened formula for his reflux).
he just turned 2 yrs old in December 2010 and he is healthy, developmentally on track, and it still makes me emotional to think about his early arrival
he was a difficult to conceive baby...7 inseminations (all medicated) over 1 years time.
he is our very special boy
(been in cloth since 6 months old!)
MySonsClothBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:32 PM   #95
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My first was born at 36 weeks. Due January 12th, born December 14th. He's now 4 years old, and wears 5T clothing and is always ranging in the 75th percentile in height/weight. He's doing great. Smart and talkative. He spent just a little while in the hospital, and needed a little bit of oxygen immediately following birth (he was grunting which meant his lungs were still sticking together a bit). He got jaundice pretty severely & suddenly as well, and had latching problems for the first week and a half. It was very stressful because he was losing a lot of weight and I was desperate to get him to nurse. I was so glad when it finally happened!

My second child is, so far, my only "term" child. She was born at 37 weeks and did just fine, went right home with me. No problems.

And my third was born at 33 weeks. Due February 27th, born January 10th. She spent the first few weeks of her life in the hospital. That was the roughest time I've ever had. She had to be hooked up to oxygen, had to have tube feedings, had to be supplemented with formula during her feedings to make her weight pick back up, had a lot of latch-on trouble at first. Now she weighs 25 pounds, wears 18 month size clothing, and has been crawling for several months! She's cruising, as well. I think she'll take her first steps soon. She doesn't have any lasting problems because of the prematurity, at this point.

My fourth one, I'm still pregnant with but... I'm just 32 weeks and I'm already dilating and effacing, and she's dropped to minus 1 station. I have to go back in to get checked next Monday and if there's any more changes I will need to check into the hospital for the remainder of the pregnancy, however long that may be. I'm still going to hope & be optimistic that she'll hang in there for a little longer but I'm thinking she may very well end up my third preemie.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:47 PM   #96
apo_katie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My little lady, Mary, was born at 34wk3d.

I went into the hospital after a call to my OB because she had not moved in 24 hours. They hooked me up to the monitors and gave me some apple juice with sugar in it to see if her heart rate would increase. It did not. Then they started an IV with fluids to see it that would help, still no change. My OB (I got lucky and he was the one on call) did an ultrasound and decided to start me on pitocin. After almost 2.5 hours on pitocin, her heart rate started to drop and recover, drop and recover.

At that point the dr came in and said "You're going to have a baby today." What?!?!? In just under 20 minutes this is what happened: Called my parents and DH parents (), they prepped me, gave me my epidural, had DH get into scrubs, then I had them put me under because I was scared and couldn't handle it. DH wasn't there when she was born. It was probably a good thing. Mary was born on Oct. 24 at 5:20 pm, 3lb. 13.5oz. and 16.5in. She took one gasp of air and that was it. She had to be intubated. I didn't get to see her until 10:30pm and I got to see her all of two minutes before she was taken away from me. I live in a small town in Wyoming and she had to be life-flighted to the University of Utah hospital, where she spent the first 29 days of her life there.

She's now 15wk2d and 9lb. She's still little and hitting her milestones about 3 weeks behind.

Mary's first picture

How she grown!
apo_katie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:46 PM   #97
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just coming back to introduce my newest preemie....

I went into labor with Amelia Grace, my fourth child and DD3, on Valentine's Day. I was given pills to stop the contractions. They made them weak but never stopped them. They were even weak contractions without any real pain at all when I was in transition. Made for a very difficult delivery. I did manage to hold off long enough for the doctors to give me two steroid shots, however. This really helped her a lot. She was born breathing and crying on February 16, at 5:19 pm, at 33 weeks and 5 days gestation. She only had to be suctioned, no oxygen required. She has kept her own body temp up very well, has a whole head full of dark hair and chubby cheeks, and she is perfectly healthy.

She was 4lbs, 9 oz, 16 and a half inches long at birth but looks much bigger in pictures because she has the roundest little face and tiny rolls and dimples all down her legs/arms.

She's 6 days old now and still in the NICU because she's not a very good eater. She isn't on anything but the feeding tube, so whenever she gets that good latch going & her sucking instinct kicks in she'll be able to come home. She's doing better about attempting to nurse & is beginning to latch on, and she's starting to drink more of her bottles as well. She had lost quite a bit of weight, but stopped losing as of Saturday and has gained back a couple of ounces since then! So I'm hoping this means a short NICU stay for her.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:17 PM   #98
Zepp
DS Addict
Formerly: K*B*T*M*
seller
seller

My Mood:

Congrats to the new arrivals!
Old 02-23-2011, 04:55 PM   #99
momma4of6
Registered Users
seller

I had no idea there was this sub forum...

Im Deb, My preemie was born at 28 weeks 5 days. He was 2 pound 15 oz.

The short version (lol...this really is the short version)

The pregnancy started out as a twin pregnancy. At 5 weeks I starting miscarrying. Thats when I found out I was carrying twins. It was a very rough miscarriage, I bleed from 5 weeks until 18 weeks (the miscarried completed less then a week before my preemie was born). At 19 weeks and 5 days my water broke. The dr on call highly suggested I induced, and gave me all the horrible reasons why. It took me 3 times of saying no (the final time pretty harsh) for him to stop telling me that was my only option. I left the hospital expecting to go into labor with in a week. The bag never sealed, and I leaked almost every bit of fluids that were made. The levels were low to start, but the last few weeks where too little to even measure.

At 26 weeks I was admitted, with full bedrest and around the clock monitoring. At 28 weeks 5 days (9 weeks after my water broke) we delievered via an emergency c-section, due to a prolasped cord. (amazing story; the dr was just outside my door starting rounds, so she was there and he was delievered from the time I pushed the nurse call button to the end in 8 minutes, the nurse that was holding the cord, later told me that his leg was already born at this time...While she was holding the cord in my little man grabbed her finger, as we were being wheeled down the hall she said "he is holding my finger, and he has a tight hold, so I know he is ok" When the dr did the c-section her hand met the nurses, and she had to take davids hand off the nurses...He came out ready to fight)

David (my little boy) was on the highest ventilator for the first few days then gradually when to the next lower and so fourth over the next few weeks.

Those first few hours after birth, when still didnt know the extent of the damage the low fluid levels had. The neonatal and I had talked at length, and when knew that there was a huge likelyhood that the lungs would not have what it takes even on the ventilators. I rememeber him telling me there were 4 levels of ventilators they can do, and when he is born we will try them and see which one takes. It was so hard knowing that even if I carried to a descent gestaltion age, his lungs might still have had irreversable damage due to his fluid levels causing me to lose him after all.

The first time I saw the neonatal dr after the birth was right after I woke up. So I was still very drugged up. Now this dr is cheery, even when talking about the possible outcomesday. I could see it all on his face. He looked beat down and very sad. He told me he still had the since of peace and happiness. But when he came in this that the tried the first 3 levels of the venilator and nothing was working. They had just started the final one (i think its called osolating ventalator). And at that point it wasnt doing much.. So we waiting. At that momment he basically said that he had done everything he can, and that my little guy was probally not going to make it......A few hours later he came in with a smile on his face, IT WAS WORKING!!!

Every day for weeks they told me, no high fiving yet. We still arent there...But I did anyway. Because he moved from the osolating ventilation to the c-pap pretty quickly. I was going to jump up and down with ever little triump no matter how in significant they were to those around me.

I ended up getting very sick after the c-section. With it being so rushed, and with the high risk to begin with I was sick...I ended up re-admitted into the hospital for 4 days....

I saw him every day, but that was a trial all on its own, as we were 45 miles away, I had a c-section so counld drive and I was sick. So my family drove me to see him an hour a day (they waiting in the car) Friends donated money for gas (otherwise I wouldnt have been able to even see him every day).

Once I was cleared to drive it became easier, but my time was still so limited. I had to care for the kids at home too. The hardest journey of my life, and due to circumstances out of our control I had to do it on my own (other then the first few weeks of the family driving me)

I pumped, then nursed when I was able, but once I got sick my milk supply dropped, and never came back... I pumped for 12 weeks, the last 4 weeks the most I got in a day was 1 oz, then he wouldnt nurse, or even suckle...
So I wasnt able to nurse. IN all my babies he was the only one that wasnt nursed....But he did have my BM in the hospital at the start, then donor milk, then high colorie preemie milk.

All in all tho it turned into many many blessing, and I have met so many wonderful people along the way. David and I even went to lunch yesterday with his NICU nurse.

I look back on all this, and I feel so many different emotions,

He turns one next month.. Here he is now, and then

while he was on the ventilator they took it off to clean his face twice a day...A few days after he was born I was there to take picture during this time

Last edited by momma4of6; 02-23-2011 at 04:59 PM.
momma4of6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:38 PM   #100
DracoDrake
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I went in to the doctor's office to get my 1st NST of the week as I had been diagnosed w/ gestational diabetes. I had been feeling odd for a couple days & asked my OB to see if I'd dilated more. I'd been dilated at 1 cm for a week. I stood up to go to the exam room & felt a gush of fluid. They tested it & turned out my water broke, so they had to admit me.(My doctor's office is in a wing of the Women's Hospital.) I was at 35 & a half weeks. Even though they induced me, he was slow to come out. I had a catheter to pump saline solution back in to avoid stressing him out & his heart rate kept dipping oddly when I'd have a contraction. It also took about 12 hours for him to come out. With my first two(15 & 17 yrs. old) I used no drugs & they were out in 5 & 6 hours from beginning to end. My firstborn was even born right on his due date. I ended up getting an epidural-loved it... & was relaxed enough to deliver Felix Malcolm. He only weighed 4 pounds 10 ounces,( & at 6 weeks is still only around 6 pounds) but was long-18 inches. He only stayed in the hospital for 4 days, 2 of which were after I was discharged. Because of my GD, his blood sugar was low, so they were making sure he could maintain his own. All in all, I had an easy pregnancy, & an easy birth, & great medical staff around me. He's progressing well & is right on target for all milestones for a 6 week baby. I'm lucky, though I did cry a lot those couple days I couldn't take him home. I'm happy to write this on my birthday with him on my lap asleep currently. I couldn't ask for a better gift than his smile.
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id...927797&theater
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id...927797&theater
First is obviously in the hospital- second is a week ago.
DracoDrake is offline   Reply With Quote