Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-08-2011, 10:58 AM   #101
midtowngirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Introduce your Preemie(s)!

H! I'm Jen and we had our preemie Brian in October. He was 29w5d and just couldn't wait until December. Started having contrax at midnight, just one an hour. 3 am-4 am had 5 so called the dr. Got up at 4 am and it was game on, 2-3 min. Got to hospital 45 min later and was 3 cm dilated. He had been vertex 2 weeks prior but little stinker flipped and was 2 feet first. They tried mag and got 1 steroid shot in me but by 7 am I was 7 cm and not stopping. Water didn't break, thankfully, so was able to get a spinal and stay awake for the csection. He was crying and breathing and got to hold him a couple minutes before they took him to the NICU.

He went through the usual stuff, a day or two of cpap, 4 days of bililights, a cannula for several weeks and a NG tube forfreakingever because he was suck a pokey sucker. He got it all of a sudden and figured out eating and stopped his apneas almost at once and was home 5 days later at 37 weeks.

It has been a wild ride and not the one we signed up for lol. But we are grateful for so few complications (a level 1 brain bleed is the only thing they found) and for his great progress.

Why the labor? No idea. We had a 16w loss the previous year so I must just go early. I'd been having my cervix checked biweekly and it was great all the way through.

Advertisement

midtowngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:30 PM   #102
Little Miss Kate
Registered Users
Formerly: JAMs Wife
seller

Here is the story of my 32 weeker on my blog (2 Parts)
http://littlemisskatedesigns.blogspo...now-part1.html
http://littlemisskatedesigns.blogspo...ow-part-2.html

My BLOG - Check out the Giveaways going on now!!!
Little Miss Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:03 AM   #103
watermelon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hello,

Our identical twins were born at 26 1/2 weeks. They are now 33 weeks and doing well. They are both currently on the high flow canula and dressed in little gowns to work on getting their isolettes down to room temp. A's is at room temp right now. The only little bumps we've encountered were slightly enlarged ventricles in J and this weekend A showed an outer ear infection which when cultured showed MRSA.

My other 4 babies were born at full term and ranged in weight from 7 lbs 11 to 9 lbs 1. These girls were 1 lb 12 and 1 lb 13.

Our first picture "together"

A

J

Last edited by watermelon; 04-11-2011 at 10:04 AM.
watermelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:16 PM   #104
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermelon View Post
Hello,

Our identical twins were born at 26 1/2 weeks. They are now 33 weeks and doing well. They are both currently on the high flow canula and dressed in little gowns to work on getting their isolettes down to room temp. A's is at room temp right now. The only little bumps we've encountered were slightly enlarged ventricles in J and this weekend A showed an outer ear infection which when cultured showed MRSA.

My other 4 babies were born at full term and ranged in weight from 7 lbs 11 to 9 lbs 1. These girls were 1 lb 12 and 1 lb 13.

Our first picture "together"

A

J
♥ they are precious. how much do they weigh now?
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:57 PM   #105
watermelon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcake2386 View Post
♥ they are precious. how much do they weigh now?
Thank you . A weighs 3 lbs 11 and J weighs 3 lbs 8. I just got the call today that I can start "breastfeeding activities". Yeah!
Old 04-11-2011, 07:39 PM   #106
momma4of6
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
J
LOVE that expression....
Old 04-11-2011, 07:39 PM   #107
momma4of6
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Thank you . A weighs 3 lbs 11 and J weighs 3 lbs 8. I just got the call today that I can start "breastfeeding activities". Yeah!
YEAH!!!!
Old 04-13-2011, 08:15 PM   #108
dreamingkristin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

OH LillyMomma -- Your twins have the "preemie eyes" as our NICU nurses called my son's eyes... his eyes were HUGE - the only thing on him that was huge....

His story.. My first pregnancy - had no idea what labor was supposed to be... I am a teacher.. so I was feeling crummy but went to school anyways... I was after all 28w 5d. No one has a baby then or knows what labor feels like and I was sure this wasn't labor... Well I told a fellow teacher friend of mine I was feeling crummy and she became very observant -- watched me and told me I was have contratctions regularly just by the look on my faces and the slowed movement I would have every so often.. I blew her off.... I was only 28 weeks...We hadn't even discussed labor... well finally she convinced me to go to the dr. and have him just check... well I got to the dr. office and began spotting... Dr. comes in to do a check of the cercix... turns to the nurse and says call 911 - Tells me and her that I'm 6cm with water bag bulging and he was a footling breech... I had no idea what any of this really meant at the time and I had no idea how close I could have come to losing him all together until days after he was born and the whole story and day was discussed with nurse and family at the hospital.... Well back to the birth... my hubby was an hour away working- so I called my mom - hubby started driving to the hospital FAST - my mom met us there... the ambulance and me and my dr. who jumped into the back incase he had to deliver my son on the less than 10 minute trip to the hospital. We get there I have a section - I don't remember much of it until about 3 days later when the morphine wore off.... but he was born at 2lbs 13 oz and I have no idea if he cried.. I can't remember -- he might of squeaked... then he was on the vent for less than 24 hours... then on cpap for less than 24 hours then on the canulla for about 6 1/2 weeks...His only big issue was of course the A's&B's and gaining weight - He spent 8 weeks in the hospital and came home about 3 weeks before his due date at 4lbs 3oz.... He had the normal reflux (which we later figured out to be milk protein allergy) and the Reactive Airway stuff and ear infections and PE tubes -- and speech therapy-- he had physical therapy for about 6 months... but he progressed out of the quickly... He is in Kindergarten now and is progressing quite nicely! He is super at soccer and baseball and is learning to read... He is super sweet and amazes me -- And he has grown into his large bright blue eyes quite nicely....

My DD was born at 37w3d but I started contractions with her at 12 weeks... yeah.. tell me about it.. contractions for months are NOT fun! I ended up on procardia and then modified bedrest and then terbutaline... then at 28 weeks in the hospital on Mag. Sulfate for a week -- horrible stuff -- it stopped contractions but about an hour after getting off of it the contractions were back... at 32 weeks back to the hospial over night again.... then 34 weeks again overnight and then finally 37 weeks... I went from 2 cm dialate... they almost sent me home... to baby coming out in less than an hour... my hubby and dr. almost missed that... and my hubby was IN the hospital! She was 5lbs 2oz
She had some severe milk soy egg allergies... ended up not eating at around a year old and with a NG tube and Neocate or Ellecare formula... but is 4 now and is SUPER bright its scary and eats liek a horse... still very tiny but eats like a horse...
My DS#2 was born also at 37w3d just like my daughter... he was 5lbs 6oz when born (both him and my DD were born VBAC) I also had contractions with him from 12 weeks on... but taught the whole time with him... Knew the difference from contractions that cuased dialation and regular ol' annoying contractions that I have during all my pregnancies...I had progestrone shots with my 2nd and 3rd... but they both made it full time....
Old 04-14-2011, 12:44 AM   #109
BooneNicuMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am going to steal my preemie intro from another forum, so this might include a bit more info then expected here. And keep in mind this is just a vague summary! Some things with their stays I still do not want to think about. My profile picture has my two dds, pictured at 12months, and 9 weeks, respectively.

I am mother to not one, but two wonderful preemies. No, not twins.

My first child, was the dream pregnancy, no complications, everything running like clock work, doctor's appointments, work, visits with my fiancee, spending time with his children. They were excited, I was nervous, but perfectly ready to welcome my first little girl at the rather early age of 20. Right? Lovely baby girl due April 9th, 2010.

Well, the week of Christmas, 2009 I was working all sorts of weird hours and under an abnormal amount of stress. ( Due to my now husband's EX ) Well, Christmas day, here in the wonderful state of MO, there was a nasty ice and snow storm I was making my way home in. I was bumped by a car that had lost control, and it knocked me off the road. Tossed me around a bit, but i felt perfectly fine ( if spooked.)

That night I felt uncomfortable, but nothing major. Two days later, the 27th of December, I notice light spotting and call my Dr. She tells me not to worry about it, and if i notice it getting worse, or major cramps, to come in to see her. Well, six hours into my shift I am starting to cramp, and exceptionally scared, so i called my mother since my Dr. didn't seem to be taking me seriously. She told me my father could take me to the hospital if i was worried ( as my car was in the shop and baby daddy was stuck at work).

After trying to tell my boss what was going on, and getting told " If you don't want to be here, just leave." I called my father and he took me to the hospital.

Once at the hospital and checked into L&D they were uncertain whether I was having contractions or not, and the spotting concerned them some. I was hooked up to a fetal monitor and watched for a good while before my husband showed up. ( not to mention they put me on Mag, which just upset my stomach and did no good.)

The next morning I was checked and discovered i was 4 cms dilated and I was having a baby. I was a complete wreck, rather determined my child was not going to make it at just barely 25 weeks gestation.

Rushed into an emergency C-section where my husband almost didn't make it to, I recall the terror and complete despair I felt, even now as they took me in to see my baby girl. So many machines, cords, wires. So tiny and frail. I welcomed my darling Savanna Nicole at 1lb 15 ozs, 13 3/4 inches long on December 28th, 2009.

We spent 93 days in the NICU, and we grew to know every nurse, doctor, and watched so many babies come and go. But still we remained with mine through breathing issues, late night phone calls, feeding issues, and PDA surgery at only a week old.

In April 2010 ( The month my daughter was due) we discovered we were expecting again. ( We learned between the two children -birth control does not work.)

This child, also a little girl, was due Christmas day, 2010. This pregnancy I was watched and monitored as if i might fall apart. 17P shots, regular visits and stress tests, you name it, it likely happened with this pregnancy. And it was going wonderfully, right on track.

Until my wonderfully gifted and blessed feet took me down our entire flight of stairs, my pretty little 10month old preemie in my arms. First of all, Savanna was perfectly fine, not even a scuff. I, on the other hand, sported scuffs, bruises, broken toe, and otherwise random damage. Aside from feeling a vague soreness, i felt alright.

I called the hospital to see if they wanted me to come in, they told me to let myself settle down first, and see if I felt like I needed to come in. I fell at 6pm on Oct 26th. I felt my first set of minor contractions at 3am, and at 7am I was certain of it to the point we went to L&D. We had my lovely little girl, via another emergency C-section after i ruptured 11 hours later.( Mag just doesn't work with me. They refuse to listen when I say this.)

Grace Garnett-Elaine was welcomed at 31 weeks, weighing a healthy 4lbs 15ozs, spending 50 days in the NICU. I already knew the staff with this pregnancy, and the fear was definitely smaller the that time around... but that sinking feeling as you try so hard, and still something happens.

But now they are both happy, healthy babies, the oldest having very minor set backs for how early she was. She is a happy little 13.75month old weighing in at a HUGE 18lbs, and my chunky little 6month old has hit the 15lb mark. Yes, I get asked if their twins, and it's only gotten worse as the younger one gains faster then the older one.

The experience is something I'd never wish on anyone, but I am living proof you can make it through this. Not once, but twice, if need be. And yes, my husband and I are still together. We've been together over three years, married for just at one. These two miracles babies mean the world to him and I, and their older sisters adore them. These kids bring you together, or tear you apart. I am so thankful to have had my husband, and everyone else there for me. My NICU staff was absolutely awesome with me, understand and supportive as much as they could be. I still keep in touch with them.
BooneNicuMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 11:23 PM   #110
SDMom2boys
Registered Users

Hi, mom to 2 preemies here...

DS1, now 7.5 yrs old, was due November 4, but when I went to my dr appt on September 25, all the signs of severe pre-e were there. They put me in a wheelchair and pushed me across the street to the hospital. After trying to induce for 1 day, and going from a 0 to a 1, my evening labs were getting worse so we went in for a C-Sect. My 34 weeker was born at 12:45 am the day after my birthday. 5 lbs, 3 oz, we had 9 days of NICU before coming home, no major issues.

DS2, now 11 mo old, was born at 33 weeks...we tried to avoid the pre-e/PIH, but my body didn't agree...tons of monitoring, 2 weeks of bed rest, 4 days in the hospital and it was decided it was best to deliver...my little guy, 4 lbs 5 oz, 16 in. A long 3 weeks in the NICU due to A and Bs, and not gaining weight, he came home at 4 lbs 10 oz with an apnea monitor. He is now a healthy almost-one-yr old, about 19 lbs.

Both boys were born at the same hospital, and in the same NICU, almost the same isolette...it was very Deja vu-ish.
SDMom2boys is offline   Reply With Quote