Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-28-2010, 01:07 AM   #1
wonton
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
We *might* be moving to SAN MARCOS, TX!!

So, suddenly we might be moving to SM, TX and I am trying to contain my excitement! I have a lot of family living in the Austin/San Antonio/New Braunfels areas and I grew up in Houston.

It all depends on my fiance finding a job, he has found several listings and SM has a similar cost of living to where we are now (Rio Rancho, NM) and their salary offerings are about 20-40% more than what he's making now!
My fiance is a software engineer and very good at his job, if I do say so myself, so much so his current boss is really taking advantage of him. Not so great.

Anyway, I mentioned how much I miss home and how I wished we could move there someday and suddenly (well more like a week later, but totally unexpectedly) he says "What do you think of San Marcos?" and "If it makes you happy it is worth it!" and I think he's seeing all the great opportunities there are in the area and the economy is better than what it was a year ago, at least in his line of work. One job offering was even for telecommuting he really loved that idea.

So, anyway I am interested in looking at neighborhoods.
I am interested in schools as my son is going to start back to public school very soon (long story).
Most likely we will rent an apartment while looking for a new home to buy.
Most likely our home price range is going to be around 200-250k.

I dont want to mention this to my relatives and get their hopes up in case things dont work out or it takes longer to find a job.

This means the baby will be born in tx, and we can get married in tx (I really wanted this), and the kids will get tons of attention and get to hang out w/their older cousins, aunt/uncles!
It's like a dream honestly, I dont want to get my hopes up but it's hard not to. My fiance is like, oh and they have real high speed internet and Time Warner Cable (Id get my bbc America and Dr. Who back), whatever floats his boat.

So anyone in the area? Did I mention that I am excited?

Advertisement

Last edited by wonton; 08-28-2010 at 01:09 AM.
wonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 11:06 AM   #2
Barbarap
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: We *might* be moving to SAN MARCOS, TX!!

Congrats!!! My hubby went to school in SM and we lived there for 6 mo after graduation before moving to Austin. It's a great area.

Not sure how far north you want to go. There is a newer subdivision off of the hwy that runs east to west into Buda, a few between Austin and SM. Not sure anything about it other than I saw it on a trip back to SM a couple of years ago.

Good luck!
Barbarap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 12:00 AM   #3
wonton
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: We *might* be moving to SAN MARCOS, TX!!

Well he said we can look at Austin, I think until he actually finds a job it's all just speculation and browsing for fun.
Id prefer a quiet neighborhood that's close to shopping.
He actually would like to have a pool in the backyard, which would be awesome but kinda hard to come by, Id settle for community pool.
I was looking at Realtor.com and the only places that had a pool in SM were way over our budget.
We also want a single story, we live w/my dad and his house is a two story, never again!!

Id prefer to not be more than an hour outside of New Braunfels since that's where my brothers live, but it's gotta be in the austin/san marcos and surrounding area, but I guess it depends on where the job ends up being.
If I knew where his work was then it would be easier to look at other areas.

Austin's housing seems to be more reasonable than SM but it's not a huge difference.

I love the style of housing in the SM area and lots of "woodsy" places, ahh I miss GREEN.

It's pretty much hurry up and wait and when he finds a job we will rent an apartment first so we can take our time finding a house.

My biggest worry is my dad being left in NM until the house gets new crapet/paint and can sell it. My dad is basically my son's father figure and they are very close. If it was too long Im sure hed just rent a small apartment or maybe hang out w/us or my brothers until it sold.

Ill be so happy to be back home, You can take the girl out of Texas but you can take the Texas outta the girl lol.
Though a hippyish liberal tx girl but a tx girl nonetheless.

Thanks for responding I appreciate it!

Last edited by wonton; 08-29-2010 at 12:03 AM.
wonton is offline   Reply With Quote