Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-28-2010, 09:22 PM   #41
isaacsmum
Registered Users

Re: Boycott of Once Upon a Child in Carmel, Indiana

Weird. I've never been in a OUAC, but I can't imagine a children's clothing store not having a public restroom available. Seems like the type of thing they'd want to make available given their demographic. But either way, if staff somewhere were rude to me like that, I wouldn't go back either.

Advertisement

Old 08-28-2010, 10:28 PM   #42
applebutter
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

All children's stores should have restrooms, but sadly, it isn't common IME. Gymboree doesn't even have bathrooms. Crazy!

ISO:
DD Granny Smith, Caramel Apple, MM Circe, SBish interlock longies w/11"+ inseam
applebutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 01:46 AM   #43
reithegenki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggyloo View Post
Sounds like you'll do great if you think wanting polite customer service is selfish.
Interesting to see that people think that risking your business license is "polite customer service" I would say that is going far above and beyond. But, that aside, I agree that the employee was needlessly rude and should have explained the issue and apologized. Having worked business management for many years I place an unusual value on good customer service and have no problem terminating employees who do not understand the importance of it. However, businesses have to be allowed to protect themselves by denying to do things which are illegal... It would be the same as giving someone a "rare" hamburger at McDonald's because that was the only way they liked it. You should apologize and explain that it is against food safety laws, but under no circumstances should you be expected to make an exception to that rule. I think it is the same with restroom codes.

Bottom line: this employee gave bad customer service and that is unacceptable, customer wasn't told why they were denied the restroom and didn't understand so got angry, then she came online and complained to many people. If the employee had just explained it nicely and apologized they could have kept that customer as well as others who have read this and decided to stop shopping there.

Anyway - while I see nothing wrong with the restroom topic - the credit card thing is BS. That and some of the other stories shared here make me not want to go to that store. I have heard many good things about the one around here from co-workers, but I am not sure I want to venture in there now...

Life is good.
reithegenki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:01 AM   #44
foxygoober
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I also boycott them. . .because the employees are rude, I don't get it, it's not a high end store, why act snobby?
Also because after spending time looking for stuff then going to the register, having the lady ring me up and then tell me I couldn't write a check. I was annoyed! They don't have a sign ANYWHERE saying they don't take checks. I looked before I started shopping because I usually use a debit card, but hubby had it that day. I asked if she could hold the stuff long enough for me to run to the bank (15 min) and she replies No. . .ugh. Like the clothes weren't going to sit there for 15 minutes while they rang up everyone else in line. Whatever.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:16 AM   #45
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

There are several little businesses here in my town that don't have a public bathroom (we're a tourist town and during festival there are 10000 porta-johns set up for people to use) but the few times I've asked for one of my kids they had zero issues. One lady even told me "Well, we don't generally let the public but for a toddler we make exceptions" The bathroom wasn't up to ADA standards, hence the reason it's not a PUBLIC restroom, but most businesses with a lick of customer service will allow a toddler to go pee...

The OUAC near here has a public restroom
Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)

Last edited by MamaNae; 08-29-2010 at 08:20 AM.
MamaNae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:28 AM   #46
TaraR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I get really annoyed with places like that. Their whole store is geared toward kids so you would think a restroom would be usable. The whole minimun purchase thing urkes me too. A good business caters to the customer especially for a 3yo barely holding on.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:15 PM   #47
crunchymom2b
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I havent read the other posts but stores cannot legally charge a minimum for CC/DC transactions. Report the store.

Alycia + Tom = 2 Labor Day babies! Tommy (9/09) + Vinny (9/12)
Under construction: unexpectedly expecting in 2015!
crunchymom2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 12:43 PM   #48
skcsarah
Registered Users

Last edited by skcsarah; 02-09-2013 at 11:38 AM.
skcsarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 01:41 PM   #49
jacquelinemarie82
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I used to work for this store...not that place but the store in general. We were not allowed to have anyone use the restroom. Liability like the other mamas said. The axcess to the bathroom was through the storage area. Have a child pull down a shelf or boxes and get sued....it could happen quicker than you think. We HAD to say no.

The employee could have been nicer that's true but stores don't legally have to have a bathroom for others to use. Yes, it is a kid's store and kid's have to use the bathroom but so do adults. They didn't have one to use. Personally I would keep that in mind but I would still go there.

You are totally entitled to not go there ever again and tell others why you chose not to. For me the discounts on clothing and ability to make cash far outweigh the not having a bathroom. At least they could post a sign or work on customer service but I don't think it is outlandish to not have a bathroom for public use.
jacquelinemarie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 01:44 PM   #50
Sillebille
Registered Users
seller

never had anything like that happen in all the OUAC I ever was (like 5 stores or more).
ALl have a restroom for customers and all are very kind.
Sorry that happened to you...