Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-29-2010, 01:47 PM   #51
jacquelinemarie82
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: Boycott of Once Upon a Child in Carmel, Indiana

Good point that GYMBOREE doesn't have a bathroom for public use either. Not our Gymboree anyway.

Wanted to point out that EACH store is individually owned and operated. There is a general way that each store is run but the choice to buy and sell certain things is left to the owner who in turn tells/trains the employees.

Honestly, I LOVED that job. My favorite job ever. Would work there for FREE! So if anyone is thinking about not trying their local one, consider trying it at least a couple of times. Could be that your local one is much better than this one.

And it is bad policy for an employee to make exceptions. You can get fired that way. That goes for any job. It seems so simple to let a preschooler use the restroom but what if the child bumped into something or grabbed something and got hurt? YOU would be fired....would not at all effect the mom or child you did the favor for. Breaking rules is not good customer service. Being firm but courteous is.

Advertisement

jacquelinemarie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 01:55 PM   #52
jacquelinemarie82
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

And something else....even if they were rude to you, should you do something like have your kid pee on the floor, use a new potty chair they are trying to sell, get verbally angry with them or something else? I'm not perfect and I would be upset too in this situation BUT isn't doing or suggesting that type of thing the same thing they did to you? I am assuming any mamas that suggested this type of response were just being sarcastic not really telling a mama to literally do this.
jacquelinemarie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 06:12 PM   #53
Magpiedpiper
Registered Users

My Mood:

It might be wise to keep a small potty in your car for emergencies. Not all stores have public restrooms, and while it would be nice to allow a child to use one, if there are specific rules against it then I wouldn't want an employee getting in trouble for breaking those rules. As the parent, just be prepared as possible. It isn't the store's responsibility to care for one's child. If they were rude about the request I could see boycotting, but not over a lack of public facilities which is fairly common.
If $25 can buy a child for a night, it can also give a child a safe home for a month. Love146 safehomes enable restoration through safe housing, therapy, nutrition, medical care, education...and something every child needs, a home full of love and care.
Magpiedpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 06:16 PM   #54
Magpiedpiper
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquelinemarie82 View Post
You are totally entitled to not go there ever again and tell others why you chose not to. For me the discounts on clothing and ability to make cash far outweigh the not having a bathroom. At least they could post a sign or work on customer service but I don't think it is outlandish to not have a bathroom for public use.

Some of the OUAC stores in Indy are better than the others, but they are also independently owned and operated. I will absolutely still shop there because the store is always clean, the employees have been either friendly or at least not rude, I find great deals on quality clothing (like gap pajamas which fit dd really well but I would never pay full price for!) plus I like the environmental aspect of re-using rather than buying new. The lack of a bathroom is not an issue for me.
If $25 can buy a child for a night, it can also give a child a safe home for a month. Love146 safehomes enable restoration through safe housing, therapy, nutrition, medical care, education...and something every child needs, a home full of love and care.
Magpiedpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 06:44 PM   #55
dragondance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCgirl_05 View Post
That's weird. We don't have one here but we have a Kid to Kid store, and they have a nice little bathroom with a changing table.
No way am I going shopping with two young PLed kiddoes without a restroom handy. When they have to go, they have to go!
Think you've got the LOWEST rate on your phone/Internet/TV/security? PM me & I will find you at least one lower rate (for FREE) or I'll PP you $5!! Discounts on gas & electric coming soon! I cut my own bills almost in half!
dragondance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:16 PM   #56
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have been to the OUAC on Shadeland, and the one at 86th/Ditch in Indy. They are both very nice, and I will definitely continue to shop there. But they also have a different owner, and are very friendly. My very favorite is Kool Kids Kottage in Fishers, who has a very nice changing table area, and beautifully decorated restroom, which is available to everyone. She also usually only buys matched outfits, so it is easy to shop there. There is also a nice restroom/changing table at Just Kiddin' Around, and a gated off play area for children, which is a little east of Carmel. That one does sell used/expired carseats though, which kind of bugs me. But they are reasonably priced and friendly there, too.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 08-29-2010 at 09:17 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:37 PM   #57
cotopaxi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcsarah View Post
they up their prices quite a bit. those $20 Tommy Hilfiger outfits were probably only bought for $5.
Well, sure. That's how they make their money.

If they charged what they paid, or even only twice what they paid, after paying their lease and their employees they would have no profit and they'd go bankrupt.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:57 PM   #58
trying4more
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

That really SUCKS that you had that experience.
I used to work at a OUAC. We had a extra bathroom for kids, a changing table and diaper genie. We also had a gated off play area for mom's to drop the littles off so they could shop without a screaming toddler.

I'd still be working there if we didn't move 1hr away!
trying4more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:56 PM   #59
doodah
Registered Users
seller

I can understand the annoyance and frustration but overall, it doesn't seem like that big of a deal to get all bent out of shape over. Now you know so you can go somewhere else to shop or plan accordingly if you ever go there again......so my thought is, why all the fumes over something that happens every day to most moms (places not accommodating their kids)? Yes she could have been nicer but we all are rude to others at least on occasion. That doesn't make it okay but maybe just move on and let it go. (Not trying to be too harsh but it really isn't that big of a deal).
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:43 AM   #60
amandabarugh
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchymom2b View Post
I havent read the other posts but stores cannot legally charge a minimum for CC/DC transactions. Report the store.
I was going to say the same thing!