Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-14-2013, 06:49 AM   #81
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Boycott of Once Upon a Child in Carmel, Indiana

Being a kid store doesn't equal kid friendly. I've been in the store once to drop off some clothes and I wouldn't call it a kid friendly store. Way too cramped in there to bring kids, in my opinion. Ours has a bathroom out front that you can use, but many smaller stores like that don't.

Advertisement

JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:49 AM   #82
Mack
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post

Sometimes though by the time a kiddo says I have to use the restroom you have two options. Use a restroom NOW or pee on the floor. Which one do you think is better?
I don't disagree that it happens. I don't disagree that prevents a serious problem for Mom if policy is that no public bathrooms. But as a sales clerk wouldn't you be annoyed too if you had someone in there every single day asking to use the bathroom And having to tell them no and then having them b**** to you about it. It's nice that there are some people who are willing to break the rules. That you really can't fault those that aren't. I just see Once Upon a Child as a store where people are always asking to make little exceptions like opening up early, using the bathroom, and dealing with little kids running up and down the aisles. I have a lot of sympathy for the sales clerks and really no sympathy for moms who think that rules and policies shouldn't apply to them
Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:54 AM   #83
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Eva* View Post
More than likely its a liability and they can't let people use their washroom. It sucks but a lot of places have the same rule. I honestly assume that a place isn't going to let me use the washroom if its not a restaurant, grocery store or gas station.
Completely this.

Also, many places have credit minimums because it costs them money for you to use a credit card.

Edit Haha woah, shoulda read. Didn't realize this was an 8 pager
Old 02-14-2013, 07:58 AM   #84
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

Well, I do disagree with them on the bathroom issue. I agree with them for the visa. It costs them money to let you use your visa, so unless they want to pass that fee on to you, it's not worth it to them to sell you something for $8.

We were in a locally owned shop this Christmas, and the lady explained that she can't really make money if everybody uses a charge card to buy one Christmas ornament because of the fees.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:59 AM   #85
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Aren't OUACs individually owned? I thought they were all franchises?

That would explain the differences. The one in speedway is nice enough, though I have only been there once a while ago. The one on the southside, just off 31 in the Walmart strip mall has a public restroom available and a super nice kids play area for kids. My only complaint (other than the prices, they are not all that thrifty an option IMO) is that they have SO MUCH STUFF crammed into such a small area.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:29 AM   #86
NYCVeg
Registered Users
seller

I haven't read all the replies, but:
OP, bear in mind that these are likely store policies set by management, not the individuals working the floor or behind the counters. Employees can be disciplined or even fired if they fail to adhere to company policies. There's no excuse for employees being rude, of course, but credit card minimums and no public bathrooms (particularly b/c of ADA rules, etc.) aren't particularly unusual.
NYCVeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:43 AM   #87
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack View Post
I don't disagree that it happens. I don't disagree that prevents a serious problem for Mom if policy is that no public bathrooms. But as a sales clerk wouldn't you be annoyed too if you had someone in there every single day asking to use the bathroom And having to tell them no and then having them b**** to you about it. It's nice that there are some people who are willing to break the rules. That you really can't fault those that aren't. I just see Once Upon a Child as a store where people are always asking to make little exceptions like opening up early, using the bathroom, and dealing with little kids running up and down the aisles. I have a lot of sympathy for the sales clerks and really no sympathy for moms who think that rules and policies shouldn't apply to them
I understand the need to follow the rules. The thing is it is simply bad PR to have a children's store where it is generally expected you will have a lot of pregnant mamas and toddlers in need of a restroom NOW. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCVeg View Post
I haven't read all the replies, but:
OP, bear in mind that these are likely store policies set by management, not the individuals working the floor or behind the counters. Employees can be disciplined or even fired if they fail to adhere to company policies. There's no excuse for employees being rude, of course, but credit card minimums and no public bathrooms (particularly b/c of ADA rules, etc.) aren't particularly unusual.
Honestly mama I am not understanding what the American's With Disabilities Act has to do with the restroom issue. As far as I understand(as explained to me by the local hospital maintenance staff) the ADA would come into play if the hospital remodeled. They would have to then bring it up to new requirements. However as long as they didn't remodel, the restroom was "grandfathered" in. I assume, if he was correct(he obviously may not have been) this would also apply to store restrooms. Of course, since accommodations must be made for disabled employees as well, it wouldn't matter if it were made available to customers or not. It would still have to be up to current standards. Unless, of course, it was "grandfathered" in. Perhaps they were also denying their employees the use of the restroom as well. I did come across a store that did this. I think it is unlikely that was the case though.

Last edited by qsefthuko; 02-14-2013 at 08:50 AM.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:07 AM   #88
mekat
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by EskimoStitches View Post
It is actually against the merchant services agreement to require a minimum purchase for credit card use. If you really wanted to, you can call and complain to VISA and they might address it with OUAC, if there are enough complaints, they will lose their merchant services agreement. Visa and MC consider this a very big deal.
This exactly. When I worked in public accounting one of our clients owned a deli and his merchant account was closed due to him refusing to accept a credit card payment for small purchases. It took my boss half a day and pulling a lot strings to get another merchant account set up for him. It is a huge deal.
mekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:13 AM   #89
I_run_with_scissors
Registered Users
seller
seller

im disgusted that they would not allow a child to use their rest room. Here there is actually a law (or bylaw) that states all places open to the public must have a bathroom for people to use. I would check in your town and see if they have something similar in place, not only are they mean but they might be "breaking" a law
TTC #4
I_run_with_scissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:20 AM   #90
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Here if you have a business you must have a handicap accessable bathroom. We have a small home business and dh had to put down that it was mobile and we don't have customers coming to the house or we would have had to install a bathroom in the garage, AND have a handicap parking spot. Crazy that other places don't even have to have a restroom at all.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote