Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-09-2010, 09:35 AM   #11
gringuitica
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is there a WAHM forum for those who don't make things?

I don't know about a forum (I'm newish here; lurker for awhile, but newbie poster), but I'm also a WAH writer! I have a solid gig travel writing and I'm also a translator. Between the two jobs, I'm very busy!

I'm not a mama yet (we're TTC #1), but I'm hoping that if and when a LO comes along, I'll be able so scale my work back enough to work part or 3/4 time and still have quality time with baby. Just curious, how many hours do you ladies generally work per day?

Advertisement

gringuitica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:58 AM   #12
signingbaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I should work at least 3 hours a day, if not more. I'm lucky if I work 2! I have enough work right now to work 6 hours a day but it's just not happening.
signingbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:45 AM   #13
pickleeater
Registered Users

I just joined and saw this thread. I am 12 weeks pregnant and work at home. I am a freelance book indexer. LOVE IT. It was always in the plans to work from home so that I could take care of our kiddos. I think it will definitely be hard juggling the kid(s), work, and housework (and eventually homeschool), but I hated my day job so much that I am willing to do anything to make it work!
pickleeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:03 AM   #14
weldababy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliabell View Post
I'm interested in that kind of separation as well. I'd love to start a biz doing genealogy research for people but am clueless as to the desire/scope/possibility of it all.

As a creative writing major, I tried freelance writing and it never took off for me! So good luck to you with that. It's something you really have to persist at and I just never did. It was hard to keep writing with the thought that it may not get you anywhere. I used Writer's Market mostly. Do you have a solid gig?
I think the genealogy is a great idea. I've been thinking about how nice it would be for someone to do this for me.
weldababy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:14 PM   #15
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

subbing!
I'm not a WAHM now but OMG I want to be. I am studying medical transcription but it's going slowly. I just got into freelance writing, so far I enjoy it. I an writing for Textbroker, and I got accepted for BrightHub. I applied to a couple more, I'm just waiting and hoping to hear back.
Right now I'm writing articles when I can and seeing how it goes. If it goes well, I'm hoping to quit my job (which I hate with a passion) and WAH.

Hmmm... should I go look for the other WAHM forum?
Old 09-20-2010, 09:37 PM   #16
cobalt920
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm subbing too. I'm an educational publishing editor but WOHM. I really need to start working on some freelance projects, but have been so busy. I would love to WAHM and freelance edit/write.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:41 PM   #17
MamaStick
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm a freelance writer, editor, and publisher. I'd love to talk with other writer moms here.

We could list job sites, post leads we've heard of and more!

By the way, corrine- have you tried Demand Studios? MUCH better pay than Textbroker and I know someone else that pays on the low end...but more than the Textbroker rate, too. My husband is her tech guy. If you're interested, PM me, I'll send you her contact info.

OP- I work weird hours. It's catch as can with my horde of children.

Last edited by MamaStick; 09-20-2010 at 10:43 PM.
MamaStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:07 PM   #18
Sakari
Registered Users

hi mama! I have a baltic amber jewelry business, I make some of it... but most of it I don't so I've felt the lack of homemade WAHM threads here too. I'm never sure if I "fit in"

AND it's really interesting to hear about all of you writers! I've been toying with the idea of trying my hand at some online writing. I have a blog (see siggy) and I have contributed to a few other blogs, but thinking I might try to take it a step further.

I sell Baltic Amber jewelry!
Sakari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 02:08 AM   #19
TangerineTea
Registered Users
seller

I am a Career Counselor....covering everything from life path/career exploration to resumes/interviews to retirement careers! I love it, and it would be great to see another section like you mentioned
TangerineTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 03:16 PM   #20
rkpearson
Registered Users
seller

I was also WAH before I had my baby (born day after xmas). It's nice to find a thread of others who also WAH before and after baby!

I have a transcription company, although I don't do the transcription, I "crowdsource" it. So I spend my time improving my business, interacting with customers as well as workers, writing software, and who knows what else...

I've been work at home now since 2007 when finally the company made enough money I could quit my regular job.

It's been great with the baby so far -- I'm so glad I work at home so I can hang out with her. She's only 3.5 months old right now so I know it will all get harder with time. The biggest change for me is how I might have to stop working any minute (like when she wakes up from a nap). I've learned to keep good lists of what I'm working on, and I've also started using this tool called Toggl to keep track of my time so I have an idea of how much I am working.

I took off 6 weeks when she was first born, and have been working part time although in the last week I've upped my hours considerably. I basically work when Alice naps or sometimes while she plays in her little gym, although when she's up I usually try to play/interact with her. Before she was 3 months I worked A LOT while wearing her and sitting on an exercise ball at my desk! She was pretty fussy.

Anyways, looking forward to meeting other moms in similar situations. I live in a fairly small town and don't know too many other moms, and definitely not any other moms who WAH.
rkpearson is offline   Reply With Quote