Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-01-2007, 10:03 PM   #1
Ooey
Full of Surprises
seller

Fever & febrile sezures :(

Who else's baby has febrile sezures when they get a high fever? It freaked me out so much the first time it happend that we took her in to the urgent care. She's had a horrible fever all day today and she keeps having little spazams which startle her and then she starts to cry I have given her tylonol a few times today but the fever just doesn't seem to be going down. DH was thinking maybe we should try baby advil but I really hate giving her anything. Anyone else have an idea of how to get this fever down or at lest stop the sezures/twitches, she's having them about every 15min to half an hour

Advertisement

& Baby Xo Oct. 2015!
Ooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 10:16 PM   #2
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Fever & febrile sezures :(

You should be giving her Motrin. Tylenol isn't worth much after 6 months, plus Motrin is safer. And try a lukewarm bath, popsicles, ice cream, etc.

Sorry poor Whilder is doing poorly. That would scare me too!
Old 03-01-2007, 10:19 PM   #3
Ooey
Full of Surprises
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer23 View Post
You should be giving her Motrin. Tylenol isn't worth much after 6 months, plus Motrin is safer. And try a lukewarm bath, popsicles, ice cream, etc.

Sorry poor Whilder is doing poorly. That would scare me too!
That is weird, the doctor told us to give her tylonol. I'll have DH pick up some motrin on his way home from work. Maybe a popcycle too, she would have a ball with that! lol
& Baby Xo Oct. 2015!
Old 03-01-2007, 10:23 PM   #4
jjaelovesenglish
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Pedialyte (mix it with water, the flavor is way too sweet) and motrin. That is what I give DD when she is running a fever and the docs recomended it.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:24 PM   #5
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't know... tylenol has NEVER worked for me or Jackson. I DO know that Motrin is a safer pain medicine though. I mean, Tylenol won't hurt her, but if you need something for a few days use, I'd much rather do Motrin, or the Tylenol/Motrin every 3hrs thing. Then it's not JUST tylenol. They work in different ways so it's safe to give Motrin, then 3 hours later Tylenol, then 3 hours later Motrin, and so on. We've done that once when Jack had a high fever that wouldn't budge.

Try the Motrin though and see if that helps. It's always been great for fevers here and we normally don't medicate him unless he's doing badly or it's over 102.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:27 PM   #6
Ooey
Full of Surprises
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer23 View Post
I don't know... tylenol has NEVER worked for me or Jackson. I DO know that Motrin is a safer pain medicine though. I mean, Tylenol won't hurt her, but if you need something for a few days use, I'd much rather do Motrin, or the Tylenol/Motrin every 3hrs thing. Then it's not JUST tylenol. They work in different ways so it's safe to give Motrin, then 3 hours later Tylenol, then 3 hours later Motrin, and so on. We've done that once when Jack had a high fever that wouldn't budge.

Try the Motrin though and see if that helps. It's always been great for fevers here and we normally don't medicate him unless he's doing badly or it's over 102.
That's a good Idea, the rotation thing. Hers has been at around 103+ all day on and off. I just noticed a new tooth poking through thogh! That must be the reason.
& Baby Xo Oct. 2015!
Old 03-01-2007, 10:32 PM   #7
kissy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our doctor has told us that if a child is especially 2 or under and has a tempature of 102 or over to call pediatrician and then go to the hospital. If she has had this fever all day I would call and see if that is what your ped recommends. Fevers can be very dangerous and do cause brain damage. Do you know how high it is? I used to be a nurse.
kissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 10:33 PM   #8
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah... Jack gets fairly high ones right before a tooth tip pops through. Poor Whilder. A dumb tooth plus a high fever, she can't be feeling good at all.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:33 PM   #9
kissy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

At 103 I would call the ped to see what they reccomend but I would take her in and let them get her temp down especially if you are not having luck with it all day.
kissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 10:38 PM   #10
Ooey
Full of Surprises
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissy View Post
At 103 I would call the ped to see what they reccomend but I would take her in and let them get her temp down especially if you are not having luck with it all day.
What would they do to get her temp down?

the same thing happend a couple weeks ago and we ended up sitting in the waiting room for hours and they gave her tylonol and that was it.
& Baby Xo Oct. 2015!