Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-29-2010, 05:19 PM   #1
hilaryisinked
Spring Into a New Avi 2015 Winner
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Please help me get my almost 6 month old to sleep

DD will be 6 months old on Sept. 3rd and I'm getting so worn out with her at night. She goes to sleep around 7 (usually...just tried and she's wide awake). I nurse her and (usually) she falls right to sleep so I lay her down in our bed. Then she wakes up every 30 minutes until it's dark outside (9ish). I quickly go in there & nurse her back to sleep before she becomes really awake. Then it's every 2-3 hours all night long...which was fine when she fell right back to sleep on the boob...but now she's wanting to crawl around in bed and "talk" for an hour when she wakes up. I have to nurse her, bounce her around, nurse her some more...then finally she's asleep. Then she's awake for good anywhere from 4-7 am. She naps (usually) 3 times a day, for an hour each. How do I get her to sleep???

Advertisement

Last edited by hilaryisinked; 08-30-2010 at 07:45 AM.
hilaryisinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:35 PM   #2
myblessedbaby
Registered
seller

Re: Please help me get my almost 6 month old to sleep

mama. Getting babies to sleep through the night is HARD. And I know the feeling of being so sleep deprived that you just want baby to stay asleep for a few hours. It's not easy and every child is different. One thing I've done with both of my kids is to separate the boob and bed. 9 months old is when I try to help my babies learn that sleep is a GOOD thing! It was easy with DS, not so easy with DD. But what I *try* to do is a consitent routine at bedtime. We start at 7pm nursing. I've also introduced a lovey at that time (though I'd use your own judgement on when it's ok for baby to sleep with a lovey). Let baby nurse all she wants, then when she starts to get drowsy and not really suck anymore, I pop her off and read her a short book. Then we snuggle for a few minutes (hug/sing/rock) then I put DD in the crib awake. Some nights she goes down easy, other nights it's a big crying fit. I stay by her side to comfort her and she does fall asleep on her own. I've also introduced white noise to help her stay asleep longer. We've gone from waking every hour or two, to only one waking or no waking.
It's a process, but it will get easier. I didn't start trying to get my kids to sleep through the night, until they were eating 3 "solid" meals a day. Up until that point, I felt they actually needed the nutrition at night and would nurse on demand, no matter how sleep deprived I was.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:07 PM   #3
Bethany89
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think I asked something similar lately lol.. and my DD is STTN - but she is FF but i don't think that makes a difference.
When she wakes up, have you tried not nursing her? She obviously wants comfort, but does she take a paci or will rocking, bouncing, singing work? When my DD wakes up like an hour after drinking a bottle, I pick her up and cuddle her, rock her.. she cries, but she settles down and I snuggle her until she goes back to sleep.

Are you cosleeping?

If not.. my DD does the same thing sometimes at night.. She will wake up and be up for a little bit. I put her into her crib, with the monitor on, she has a glowworm toy, some stuffed animals.. etc.. soft toys and I cuddle her and put her down. I find that usually she won't cry.. she just plays for a few moments and goes back down.

Now, when we were cosleeping, I would honestly.. Roll over so my back was to her.. and let her move around. She is in the middle and we both did this.. I feel like if I was facing her, watching her, smiling, whatever, it is encouraging her to want to play at night.. She does try to crawl around or whatever.. and after a little bit... I get up and rock her until she goes back down..

My best advice? Start a routine. Everyone told me that.. and it helps.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:50 PM   #4
cathrynapple
Registered Users

Oh, mama. Mine was like this from four to ten months, only waking every 30 minutes the whole night. She literally stayed latched for 12 hours every night. I tried absolutely everything. Suddenly at ten months things got better. I have no advice, just HUGS. I have been there and it is so hard.
cathrynapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:00 PM   #5
palsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

She could be hitting her growth spurt. This is the perfect age for it. My son did that for 5 days during his 6 mo growth spurt. He is almost 7 1/2 mo and only recently started just waking once a night to feed. Also, babies wake for many reasons. I figured out that my lo was getting cold and that was waking him. So I've started putting long jammies on him ( we keep our house chilly) and now he is much better at STTN. With that, it is totally normal for babies to wake frequently at night. Check out dr sears. He has lots of info about sleep. gL and hopefully it gets better.... Actually then she will probably start teething
Old 08-29-2010, 11:01 PM   #6
jveprek
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

There is a ton in The No Cry Sleep Solution book about how to help them. I found with my kids, though, that when they woke up at night to play, if I pretended to be asleep and ignored them (we have bed rails and I made sure they were safe in bed, just did not interact with them) it helpd and it was very short lived. Also, when I would leave, first I'd leave a stuffed animal I had sprayed milk on by my kids so they thought I was close still. Blackout shades work WONDERS on getting them to go to sleep earlier and sleep in longer, since it makes the room nice and bright. White noise (like a fan) works wonders too!
jveprek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:04 PM   #7
Nightowl Jan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

THAT is exactly where I was. My baby did the SAME thing...around age 8 months we tried the Tracy Hogg - Baby Whisperer method. Things were getting a little better but it ultimately didn't really work. So again at 10 months we used the Sleep Easy Solution and switched to the crib because it had become unsafe for her to be in bed for fear of her crawling off the edge all the time! Look into that book. It is nice! We had our baby sleeping in a crib and going to sleep while awake still every night after 3 days. Not everynight is perfect a month later but she is sleeping most of the night. I just dream feed her 2 times a night still. We haven't night weaned yet. I can give u more details if ya want or you can get the book for like 4 bucks on amazon.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:19 PM   #8
birdie
Registered Users
seller

DD is a month and 1 day younger and I have been battling with the same problem. We are starting foods to see if it helps. During the day she doesnt mind it but at night if she is really tired she wants the boob so we are trying to get her used to it. She is waking up every hour. Its so frustrating but its nice to know we arent the only ones.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:49 AM   #9
hilaryisinked
Spring Into a New Avi 2015 Winner
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Thanks everyone
I guess it could be the growth spurt...or teething...she got her bottom 2 at 4 months so more may be coming in. For the record, I don't think she needs to be sleeping through the night. I definitely think she needs to eat at night, especially since she isn't on solids. I just want her to stop trying to play for an hour every time she wakes up ha. Oh well...this too shall pass. I have the No Cry Sleep Solution book and I really would love to do the things in there since I'm anti-CIO but last time I tried I was too sleepy to stay awake with her and do the methods lol
Old 08-30-2010, 07:57 AM   #10
busymama77
Registered Users
Formerly: jbb11906
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilaryisinked View Post
Thanks everyone
I guess it could be the growth spurt...or teething...she got her bottom 2 at 4 months so more may be coming in. For the record, I don't think she needs to be sleeping through the night. I definitely think she needs to eat at night, especially since she isn't on solids. I just want her to stop trying to play for an hour every time she wakes up ha. Oh well...this too shall pass. I have the No Cry Sleep Solution book and I really would love to do the things in there since I'm anti-CIO but last time I tried I was too sleepy to stay awake with her and do the methods lol
Our LO's are the EXACT same age. He's been waking up at least twice for the past few months JUST to eat. We tried offering a paci, that didn't work. We tried snuggling him and comforting him without the bottle, that didn't work. So we just came to realize that he's a hungry baby, and that's it. We have his 6 month check up on Friday. I'm gonna talk to his ped again and see what we can do. We've tried to eliminate him falling asleep at the bottle because that's just not a good habit to get into but sometimes you can't really help it.
Aaaaah.. DS#1 was MUCH easier. The ped would advise to do something, we'd do it, he'd respond and all was great. This little guy, he's so unpredictable. And yes, he's wanting to crawl - he scoots around in his crib and he just started to sit up unassisted. Lots going on right now. AND he's on solids twice a day.
So, I'm at loss myself. A routine has been established for night time, too......