Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-04-2010, 06:34 AM   #1
jfeldy
Registered Users

Can I strip with Dawn in my bathtub?

I have a FL & read that Dawn can make way too many suds & ruin the washer. So, could I put my inserts & covers (I have Fuzzi Bunz) in my tub with a squirt of Dawn? Should I use hot, warm or cold water? How long should I let it sit there?
I know I'd have to rinse them out VERY well in the tub before putting them back in the washer for another rinse (or 2...)
Thanks!

Advertisement

jfeldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:07 AM   #2
Beesgirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Can I strip with Dawn in my bathtub?

I've used Dawn in my FL, just a small squirt! I think you probably need the agitation to really strip, you don't just wanna soak them in it.
Beesgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:02 AM   #3
ecbcmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

how much dawn do you use in washer?
ecbcmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:08 AM   #4
skyprincess67
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for posting this ? I was curious about that too
skyprincess67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:16 AM   #5
blackberry75
Registered Users

You could do that if you agitated them, either by stirring them continuously or stomping on them and hot water. You could also use a 5 gallon bucket with a tight fitting lid. Put the diapers, hot water and a tiny squirt of dawn in. Then roll it around for a few minutes. You would need to do it a couple times, because I doubt all the diapers would fit at once, but it's slightly easier than the bath tub. You can rinse them in the bucket with just water 2 or 3 times, rolling it around, then hand rinsing in the tub.
However, I think I read on here that you can strip with washing soda or borax in a FL. Both are water softener which will rinse any residual detergent out. Use the hottest setting possible, 2 or 3 tbs of the borax, and run a full cycle. I'm not 100% sure about that though, since I have a TL, I didn't pay very close attention.
blackberry75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:21 AM   #6
S_Toast
Registered Users

My Mood:

ok if you are stripping with dawn in a FLer use 1 tsp of dawn and NO more or you will be stopping your washer to take a bucket of suds out. trust me
S_Toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:27 AM   #7
CDingLizabelle
Registered Users
seller

I never had luck stripping in my front loader with dawn (even using a very tiny bit). I prefer to do it in the bathtub first. I fill the tub with hot water, and 2 squirts of dawn. I throw the diapers in and put rubber gloves on to sheild me from the heat. I squish the diapers and rub them against each other for a few minutes. Then I let them sit for about 30 minutes (not sure that makes a big difference). Then I rinse them under running water before I put them in the washer. It took 4 warm rinses to get them completely suds free (this is huge because when I did it in the washer I still had a ton of suds 8 rinses later).
Good luck.
CDingLizabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:35 AM   #8
momofdestructobaby
Registered Users
seller

How much dawn do you use in a regular washer? And what temp do you wash on? I think my diapers need stripping.....
momofdestructobaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 04:02 PM   #9
lesliek0211
Registered Users
seller

I just stripped with dawn in the sink last night. I used the hottest water possible and let them soak for awhile. It took a lot of agitating, but it did work. I wouldn't risk putting Dawn in a frontloader, I was too scared although I've heard people have success with it.
lesliek0211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 05:21 PM   #10
TwinMommaplus2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Im going to try the dawn and we have a front loader... I probably wont use 1tsp but probably half that... if that works then the next time I may use a bit more, but I would be PISSY if I had to clean out buckets of soap ... just sayin
Motherhood is not a hobby, its a calling, you do not collect children because they are cuter than stamps, Its not something to do if you can squeeze the time in, its what god gave you time for. ~E. Anderson
TwinMommaplus2 is offline   Reply With Quote