Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-04-2010, 11:12 AM   #1
blackberry75
Registered Users

alternative foods/substitutions-review added

I'm not sure if this should go here, or in the healthy living are so move if necessary.

Hi all! I'm just wondering if you wonderful, smart and good looking ladies could help me. I'm attempting to lose weight for health reasons-though looking better is a plus. However, I love peanut butter, cheeses and bread. Are there healthy alternatives/substitutions that have fewer calories/fat, still taste good and aren't soy based? I don't mind soy, but to much makes me feel ill and gives me horrible gas I'm not above obscene amounts of flattery for the information.

Edit-Quick review of the powdered peanut butter, 'cause I think it warrants one.

PB2 powdered peanut butter

serving size: 2tbsp
calories: 45
from fat:13
total fat: 1.5g
sat. fat: 0.0g
trans. fat: <0.01g
cholest. <0.01mg
sodium: 94g
Total carb: 5g
fiber: 2g
sugar:1g
protein: 5g

Directions: Mix 2tbsp powder with 1 tbsp water. (personal note, I've found 1 1/4 tbsp works better. Then let it sit of a minute or 2 to fully absorb the water)

If you are looking for something that tastes like Skippy, Peter Pan, Jiff or another commercial brand, this isn't for you. However, if you are looking for a low fat alternative this will work. It doesn't have the mouth feel or texture of traditional peanut butter. It's also not sweet like most, if not all, commercial brands are.

What you get is a peanut paste that works very well on sandwiches, in smoothies, sauces, ice-creams (or substitutes), cookies and other baked goods, and any where else you'd use traditional peanut butter. You get a truer peanut flavor, which I think is great. The aroma is heavenly, especially while baking. It smells and tastes like freshly roasted peanuts. In taste it is closest to real peanut butter, which is just ground peanuts, minus the stick to the roof of your mouth aspect. Another bonus is that it has 1/4 the calories and 1/8th of the fat of commercial or natural peanut butters.
In appearance, when first mixed, it looks like regular peanut butter. The color darkens slightly when it sits in the open air. This doesn't affect the taste though.

Another bonus, when making soups or sauces, it has a lighter flavor than if you used regular peanut butter. In my opinion, some dishes made w/ traditional peanut butter can be overwhelmed by the nutty flavor. Not so when using the powder. It enhances the dish, it does not drown the other flavors out.
My personal favorite uses so far are:
peanut soup
for sandwiches-hummus or jellies on flaxseed bread
green or fruit smoothies
added to yogurt
on crackers
dipping apples in it
low fat cookies-double yum

Feel free to ask any questions and I'll answer to the best of my ability. I think this is a great product, not only for dieters, but for anyone who likes to make peanut based dishes.

Advertisement

Last edited by blackberry75; 09-07-2010 at 02:54 PM.
blackberry75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 12:00 PM   #2
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:
Re: alternative foods/substitutions

We're proponents of eating from scratch as much as possible, and then limiting portion sizes. You can eat butter, cheese, bread, peanut butter, and so on. Just eat less. I have found that when we are eating foods that come as closely from the source as possible, you feel full faster, and eat way less. Like the first time we made ravioli from freshly ground grain, I gave myself the amount I normally eat, but then after about 1/3 of the way through I was stuffed. It was the same thing last night for dinner. I made nachos with homemade tortilla chips with grain I ground, and after 3 chips I was so full I couldn't even finish my dinner.

IMO it's not about what you eat, it's about how much you eat. Everyone needs to change how they view portion sizes because we give ourselves too much food. I think choosing low fat alternatives doesn't get to the root of the problem; we are eating too much. You need to train your body to be satisfied with a smaller amount of food. I also think that a lot of low fat options, or sugar free options are so full of junk, that is is not healthy for us, and does not make us feel like we have had a satisfying full meal. so then many times people start snacking on more junk foods. It's a vicious cycle.

Also, when you try to prepare everything you eat from scratch, you start thinking to yourself, do I really need to eat this? I was going to make a cake for the kids today, but I didn't have enough butter for my usual recipe, and I didn't feel like making butter. So, I chose to make a smaller coffee cup cake for us instead. We didn't sit down and gorge ourselves on a huge 2 layer cake with buttercream icing, instead we made 2 coffee cup sized cakes for the 4 of us (dh is at work) and we were all happy with our Saturday morning treat.

I'm sorry if this wasn't the info you were looking for, but I hope it gives you something to think about.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:21 PM   #3
Kestlyn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Have you tried to make your own foods yet (like pp suggested)? Sunbutter is a tasty alternative to peanut butter and is generally healthier due to less additives and no fungus. I'm allergic to dairy but I have found some great alternatives made from macadamia nuts or even cashews. These are not low in fat, so you might have to adjust your other meals in the day, but the body processes them better than most animal fats. I also love almond milk. For bread you have a lot of alternatives. Home made bread is usually the healthiest since you can use whole grains and cut out preservatives and useless chemicals. You can also explore gluten free bread making which opened my eyes to all kinds of flours I didn't even know existed (sorghum, buckwheat, quinoa, flax, brown rice, almond and way to many more to list)! Best wishes on your journey, and when possible go organic and limit the hormones and chemicals that are hurting your body.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:30 PM   #4
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Cheese- I opt for 2% milk fat cheese (also goes for cottage cheese).

Peanut Butter- All natural peanut butter. If you go to health food store, you can grind your own. Then add a bit of salt or sugar when you get home to taste.

Bread- I cook from scratch. When buying in the store, look for 100% whole wheat. Also, read the labels. Alot of breads contain high fructose corn syrup, so look for bread that doesn't have it (Nature's own doesn't have it). These breads are a little more expensive, but they are better for you, and they honestly taste better too.

Butter- Butter is better for you than margarine. You can buy soy based butter.

Also, make sure to eat 5 small meals a day instead of 2 or 3 large ones. And eat protein at each meal. Scientific fact: It's VERY important for women to eat protein at each meal because we don't absorb as much protein in one sitting as a man can. So keep protien portions small, and eat them throughout the day, instead of sittind down to a 12oz steak at dinner.

I have this great transition diet that I am doing.. it gets you eating healther in small steps. Week 1, you just cut out all junk food, that's it...by week 8 you've totally transformed your eating habits. PM me with your email address if you'd like me to forward it to you. I'm getting ready to start the Insanity work out, and this diet was emailed to me by my weight loss coach.

I've been doing it for a week now and by the 2nd or 3rd day I was noticing a difference in my energy level.

God bless!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:52 PM   #5
motherofall35
Registered Users

I know this because I recently had a baby (well sort of, she is 10 months...can't believe time is flying) and since it was a high risk pregnancy I could not work out or even go for a brisk walk and was on bed rest quite a bit.

So after I had her I found myself with 30 pounds to lose, ugh. I was exhausted all the time so I knew I could not work out BUT the one thing I could do was control my portions.

So although I wasn't working out I was controlling my portions and the weight came off VERY slowly but it came off and stayed off. After around 4 months or so I started working out and the weight started flying off and by 7 months I was back in my size 4 jeans.

Like a pp mentioned, portion is key. The body does not need huge portions at each meal but rather little portions or even small meal/snacks 6 times a day. I eat butter, whole milk, whole yogurt (the low fat stuff is loaded with sugar and interferes with the body's ability to absorb the calcium and protein) full fat cheese, cane sugar, etc.

Everything we eat in our home is organic and we eat fresh veggies, lots of legumes, fresh fruit and yes steak, bacon (in moderation it's fine), chicken.

You can eat anything you want if it's in moderation. You will be amazed how you will start feeling full when you start eating this way.
motherofall35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:20 PM   #6
blackberry75
Registered Users

Thank you all for your suggestions, they will be very helpful as I apply them (read learn to cook/bake).

Just FYI, my stepdad gave me peanut butter powder. I use peanut butter in almost everything, so I'm excited to try it. Tonight I put it in my fruit smoothie (ice, water, strawberries, spinach and PB2). OMG it's so good. I can't wait to try it on a sandwich.

Just because I feel like I have to explain myself, I'm losing weight to avoid diabetes. That's my main reason for wanting a bread substitute. I eat way, way to many carbs and I thought that would be a way to have my cake and it to, so to speak. From this site I've already taken care of my pasta obsession-isn't amazing how many gourds can be used for this. However, I love bread at every meal. Breakfast isn't worth eating w/o toast, sandwiches are the perfect lunch food and what's dinner w/o a slice of bread w/ butter. I know I should just eat less of it, but it's been a hard transition for me. Until this week I was doing the HMR weight loss plan, but our finical situation changed, so in reworking the budget it just made sense to cut that out first. As stupid as it sounds, I kinda feel lost w/o someone telling me how to eat properly. It's like I don't know what a portion of something is w/o reading the package. Even then I'm not sure what's listed is the right portion size for me. I grew up told I have to eat everything on my plate or else and haven't really gotten past that. If it's on my plate I have to eat it. Man, I must sound like a complete idiot.

The only thing I feel like I'm doing right is the fruits, veggies and working out. I figure I can't have to many veggies, fruits I mostly eat because I'm afraid I'll miss out on some nutrients if I don't have them at least a couple times a week-though I could live w/o them, and work out for at least 30m 5 times a week. I've discovered I love going to the Y, so glad dad got that membership for my birthday. Literally, I can eat 6 or 7 1c servings of veg a day and still eat a fruit serving on top of that. Though I can only do fruits 3 or 4 times a week. I love veggies!
Old 09-04-2010, 11:32 PM   #7
angelnalex
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniebees View Post
We're proponents of eating from scratch as much as possible, and then limiting portion sizes. You can eat butter, cheese, bread, peanut butter, and so on. Just eat less. I have found that when we are eating foods that come as closely from the source as possible, you feel full faster, and eat way less. Like the first time we made ravioli from freshly ground grain, I gave myself the amount I normally eat, but then after about 1/3 of the way through I was stuffed. It was the same thing last night for dinner. I made nachos with homemade tortilla chips with grain I ground, and after 3 chips I was so full I couldn't even finish my dinner.

IMO it's not about what you eat, it's about how much you eat. Everyone needs to change how they view portion sizes because we give ourselves too much food. I think choosing low fat alternatives doesn't get to the root of the problem; we are eating too much. You need to train your body to be satisfied with a smaller amount of food. I also think that a lot of low fat options, or sugar free options are so full of junk, that is is not healthy for us, and does not make us feel like we have had a satisfying full meal. so then many times people start snacking on more junk foods. It's a vicious cycle.

Also, when you try to prepare everything you eat from scratch, you start thinking to yourself, do I really need to eat this? I was going to make a cake for the kids today, but I didn't have enough butter for my usual recipe, and I didn't feel like making butter. So, I chose to make a smaller coffee cup cake for us instead. We didn't sit down and gorge ourselves on a huge 2 layer cake with buttercream icing, instead we made 2 coffee cup sized cakes for the 4 of us (dh is at work) and we were all happy with our Saturday morning treat.

I'm sorry if this wasn't the info you were looking for, but I hope it gives you something to think about.
Would you mind sharing some recipes? I would cook from scratch more but I can only use the magic bullet for food processor type work of which it is not really made to do but I just can't afford a new food processor. Thank you
Old 09-05-2010, 08:26 AM   #8
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackberry75 View Post
Thank you all for your suggestions, they will be very helpful as I apply them (read learn to cook/bake).

Just FYI, my stepdad gave me peanut butter powder. I use peanut butter in almost everything, so I'm excited to try it. Tonight I put it in my fruit smoothie (ice, water, strawberries, spinach and PB2). OMG it's so good. I can't wait to try it on a sandwich.

Just because I feel like I have to explain myself, I'm losing weight to avoid diabetes. That's my main reason for wanting a bread substitute. I eat way, way to many carbs and I thought that would be a way to have my cake and it to, so to speak. From this site I've already taken care of my pasta obsession-isn't amazing how many gourds can be used for this. However, I love bread at every meal. Breakfast isn't worth eating w/o toast, sandwiches are the perfect lunch food and what's dinner w/o a slice of bread w/ butter. I know I should just eat less of it, but it's been a hard transition for me. Until this week I was doing the HMR weight loss plan, but our finical situation changed, so in reworking the budget it just made sense to cut that out first. As stupid as it sounds, I kinda feel lost w/o someone telling me how to eat properly. It's like I don't know what a portion of something is w/o reading the package. Even then I'm not sure what's listed is the right portion size for me. I grew up told I have to eat everything on my plate or else and haven't really gotten past that. If it's on my plate I have to eat it. Man, I must sound like a complete idiot.

The only thing I feel like I'm doing right is the fruits, veggies and working out. I figure I can't have to many veggies, fruits I mostly eat because I'm afraid I'll miss out on some nutrients if I don't have them at least a couple times a week-though I could live w/o them, and work out for at least 30m 5 times a week. I've discovered I love going to the Y, so glad dad got that membership for my birthday. Literally, I can eat 6 or 7 1c servings of veg a day and still eat a fruit serving on top of that. Though I can only do fruits 3 or 4 times a week. I love veggies!
About a year ago I was right there with you on the needing to lose weight and didn't have a clue about any of it. I've lost about 30 pounds in the last year and a half and I found that I didn't really have to do much to get it done. What I did was...
*started baking from scratch. I make my own bread, and bake it in mini loaf pans. As soon as it's cool, I slice it and freeze it. Then when I want a sandwich or a slice of bread and butter, I have to go to the freezer and get a slice or two and defrost it. Sometimes the extra work just isn't worth it, plus I have the added benefit of adding my own whole grains and there's no preservatives HFCS, etc. And, if I choose to have bread, it's already in a smaller portion, ie. fewer carbs.
*if I think I'm hungry, I drink a glass of water first, then wait a few minutes to see if I'm still hungry. Often times, we can misread our body's message for thirst as a message of hunger. My thought on it is that even if I'm hungry and end up eating something, the glass of water will fill me up a bit, so I don't eat as much.
*Use a salad plate instead of a dinner plate. This sounds completely stupid, but I'm from the "clean your plate" club too and even if I have a full plate of food and eat it, it's a smaller plate and so I eat less, and very seldom notice it.
*If you don't think you can eat your favorite foods in moderation, just don't buy them. Soda is my weakness, and I know how unhealthy it is, but if it's there I find myself drinking it (alot of it ). I went two weeks without it and by the end was fine. Then it was on sale and I told myself that I would just have one every once in while. HA! A few days (drinking three or four cans a day) later, it is gone and I've vowed to not buy more. I'll have some when we go out to eat (not often) and call it done.

I'm sure there's more, but I've been on here long enough that we're probably going to be late to church. OOPS!
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:53 AM   #9
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:

Eating bread isn't going to cause diabetes. It's a combination of genetics and weight. Working out is a great start! Not just for your weight, but for your overall health and wellness, so good for you!

For portion sizes, start with eating off of salad plates. Then, give yourself one cup of the main meal, and 1/2 cup of the sides. That's a good start. Then you need to start listening to your body when you are full, and throw the extra away. I know it's hard to get used to that because it feels so wasteful, but it's better off in the trash than on your butt, right? Or, give yourself way less food than you think you will eat. Then after you eat that, sit and chat with your family for a while. Then if you want more, give yourself about 1/4 of what you would normally give yourself. At first, you're going to be hungry, there's no way around it. But after 2-3 weeks your body will adjust, and you'll wonder how you ever ate so much in the first place.

As far as recipes go, I like this pasta recipe. I ground the durum (I still need to go to the grain store for regular wheat ) http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Fresh-S...ta/Detail.aspx then sifted it to get the larger pieces out. I use that in bread. The finer flour goes in the pasta. Last night I rolled it out for lasagna noodles, and boiled them. Then I made ricotta cheese (1/2 gallon of milk, cook until it gets to 200 degrees, then add 1/4 c of vinegar. Let the curds separate, then strain with a cheese cloth). I mixed it with Italian sausage, red and green peppers, garlic, fresh basil and parsley, Parmesan, and mozzarella cheese. Then layered it on the noodles and poured red sauce over it and baked it. At the end I covered it with mozzarella cheese.

You can use that pasta recipe for anything. I bought a Pasta book on Amazon with recipes and sauces, so we can eat pasta almost everyday and not end up with the same meal over and over.

For bread, I use the recipe that came with my Kitchen Aid for the most part. I also use the Better Homes and Garden granola honey bread recipe.

I like this tortilla recipe. http://homesicktexan.blogspot.com/20...tortillas.html I make my own refried beans now, too. They are so simple. Why did I ever buy them?

Another favorite recipe of mine is chicken and split pea soup. I cook bacon in my soup pot (I buy the center cut, less fat and yummier). When it's almost done I add half of a small onion, and cook that. Then I let it cool, and drain off all but a few TBLS of the fat. I add in the onion and about 1/4 of the bacon, chopped in to bits. I add boneless chicken thighs that I marinade (1 lemon, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke, water, seasoning salt for about 2 hours) and sear them. Then I add about 3 cups of chicken stock, a package of split peas, cover and cook all day. Stir occasionally. Add more stock if needed. At the very last, add about 1/2 c of heavy whipping cream (if you skimp on this, it just won't be as good!), and turn off the stove. Serve immediately. I serve it with fresh bread and honey butter. It's very filling, so one pot will feed the 5 of us for 2 days, including lunch for dh. HTH!
Old 09-07-2010, 02:51 PM   #10
blackberry75
Registered Users

Re: alternative foods/substitutions-review added

Bump for review