Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-04-2010, 05:04 PM   #1
Bethan_77
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Anyone else's dh not have fmla?

My dh is taking a week of vacation, but even that is problematic because baby's due date is the first week of the semester (he works at a university). He's expecting to have to go in during those days anyway everyone in my family works ft except my mom, but she won't go more than 1/2 hour from home because my dad is waiting for a liver transplant and is at the top of the list (we are 1.25 hrs from them, and yes, the transplant could conceivably happen at the same time as our new baby...eeek!) Anyone else anticipating being on her own in that first week? Honestly, I'd be less worried with a first child...I need the help with DD!

If DS comes 14 days late, I think we might have fmla, funny enough. I don't think I'd trade going that far over for fmla though.

Advertisement

Old 09-04-2010, 05:08 PM   #2
Salsa
Registered Users

Re: Anyone else's dh not have fmla?

Why wouldn't he get FLMA? Has he been at the university less than a year? I would think as long as he met the requirements, he'd be able to take it right away. I'd have him check with the HR dept. He should be able to fill out the paperwork now (I already did with my employer).

Sorry to hear about your dad! I hope he gets his transplant soon!

Karen
Salsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 05:14 PM   #3
skcsarah
Registered Users

Last edited by skcsarah; 02-09-2013 at 09:35 AM.
skcsarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 05:17 PM   #4
MommyKeller0107
Registered Users
seller

Neither of us will have FMLA. His bosses are really good though, and have been letting him bank a few personal days to take when Levi gets here. I'm only expecting him to take off the day of and maybe two or three days after (unless a complication arises that I need him to be here longer).

L0Ri K

MAMA T0 KADE (1/07)
LEVi (09/10)!

:: & RUBY ♥ ::
MommyKeller0107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 06:47 PM   #5
mama0609
Banned
seller

hubby has FMLA but only at one job (the other is part time with less than 50 employees). We don't have vacation time at either job (well, 2 days at the FT but chances are he'll use that on labor/birth alone) and we can't afford for him to take time off all at once... So, he's taking time off over the course of 6 weeks. He works about 80 hours a week and yes this makes me nervous as crap... Especially since family doesn't seemed thrilled to help (and I only asked for help for dinner and bed time because that's the roughest time of the day)... So, unless I end up with a 3rd c-section, yup, I'm on my own pretty much too...

I was on my own very shortly after both my other births, despite c-sections. My family just isn't one to help...
mama0609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:42 PM   #6
LisaAnne
Registered Users

My Mood:

The issue with FMLA is that it's unpaid, which we can't afford. DH is taking 3 days and I'm glad the baby came before Labor Day weekend, so we got a free 3 days off. Despite that, he spent a significant amount of time on phone and email yesterday (Friday). I was kind of angry that he had a call he had to take at 6:30pm last night as we were trying to leave the hospital.

I would also just like him to take care of DS, but he seems to think this is "free time" to work on our basement or whatever. While it really needs to be done, 3 days post partum is not the time!!!! We had a discussion tonight because I was doing really well, but after picking up DS and everything else, I'm not doing so hot. He's promised to be more helpful in the next 3 days. Ack--we'll figure it out I guess.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:51 PM   #7
rachaeljohnson
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

just sick and vacation days here...he will probably take 4-5 days only though.
~MY BLOG~

rachaeljohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 08:28 PM   #8
Melmonkey
Creator Of The Pixie Skirtie<br>www.hyenacart.com/Melmonkeyszoo
seller
seller

My Mood:

David does not have any, his mom is appalled that he does not have any, she won't be much help for me anyway, so I don't understand her being shocked that he does not have any....... But I am not worried, he will just take a few vacay days that he made sure he kept and my parents will be here for 3 weeks.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:34 PM   #9
Brooke789
Registered Users
seller
seller

Due date crashing -- My husband and I both work at a University, also. He got to take no leave under FMLA because if you work for the same employer you only get the 12 weeks total. I ended up with 5 weeks of bedrest, so only got to stay home with the babies for 8 weeks...there was no way I was splitting that with him. So, he took about 2 weeks of annual leave. It sure would have been nice to both be able to do 12 weeks!
Brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:03 PM   #10
JamieJLD
Registered Users
seller
seller

My DH could take FMLA, but we don't want to do any unpaid leave unless it is an emergency. He'll probably take a week of vacation and then go back to work. We are blessed that his boss is super understanding and told him that he can work from home "as much as he needs to" for a while to help. I'm hoping he can work from home once a week for a few weeks or months to help be an extra set of hands.