Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-04-2010, 09:14 PM   #11
benjaminsmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Anyone else's dh not have fmla?

Aww I feel so bad for all you mamas! I guess we are really blessed. Hope you all make the best of the little time off you have together. HUGS!

Advertisement

Old 09-04-2010, 10:03 PM   #12
rosefall
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooke789 View Post
He got to take no leave under FMLA because if you work for the same employer you only get the 12 weeks total.
I had no idea, and our employer obviously didn't enforce it. With DS, I took 12 weeks, and DH took 2. We worked down the hall from each other. DH plans to take at least three weeks this time, using accrued sick leave.

I'm so sorry so many of you mamas are having to deal with this.

Last edited by rosefall; 09-04-2010 at 10:04 PM.
rosefall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:09 PM   #13
nrsenadenos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DH works for a small company and doesn't get any paid vacation time. They did allow him to take off, but he went back to work as soon as I got home from the hospital after all 4 kids. This last time was the only time it was problematic, as I ended up with an emergency c/s, and we ended up having a mother's helper come in that first week home.

eTA: Oh oops, this is a due date room, sorry. I just saw it under new posts and didn't realize. forgive the intrusion
And someone NEW coming in October! Plus 2 angels, 8 chickies, 2 ducklings, and a wolfdog.
nrsenadenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:25 PM   #14
Bethan_77
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you to you all, and crashers too

My dh will be there a month the last week of September or first week of October. Baby is due mid sept.

We live in a new town and we do know a very nice teenager from church who comes over to babysit (well, she plays with dd while I get easy for baby's arrival) so I may ask her to come frequently that first week, even to get a nap.

For those of you with little leave...I wish you the best too. Sometimes I can't believe how child unfriendly the USA is.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:10 PM   #15
wowcat
Registered Users

My Mood:

Well, hubby only works PT (15 hrs per week) and will be in-school full time but is taking almost all online classes this semester. He is taking the first week completely off of work but then after that will be back to the 15 hrs, which is no biggie.

It's me thats going to suffer really I'm the primary breadwinner and work full time. I will be able to take off 1 week of vacation time but then I have to go right back to work after that, as we just cannot afford to take any unpaid leave. If (heaven forbid) I ended up with another cesarean or something went awry, we'd be in deep doodoo. Fortunately, my office is attached to my house so I will be VERY close by. I actually have to be in the office and have people in and out constantly, but it will hopefully work out for me to be able to at least nurse the baby. Fingers crossed....I'm also taking a full time course load, but they are online this semester as well....thank goodness for slings!
wowcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:46 AM   #16
Aub's
Registered Users
seller

Location: Cali Born and Raised But Transplanted To Albany Oregon...
My Mood:

I will be home on my own, Hubby works in a small artisan bakery and has Monday, Tuesday and Saturday's off and seeing as were having Mila on Tuesday he will be off for that then go to work the next day. I will have to get home on my own and get settled with her. I am an old pro so I am not to worried about being home on my own with 2 babies but I am worried about how he's going to get to work and home seeing as he does not drive. We have yet to set up a driver for him.
Aubree, Proud Mama To 7 Little Hellion's, Wife To My Sexy Baker Tyler Crunchy, Tattooed, Pierced, Dreddy, Baby Wearing, Extended Rear Facing, AP Parenting, Circumcising, No Longer Vaxing, Mama To An Autistic/ADHD Boy And Dam Proud Of It
Aub's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 02:17 AM   #17
apboyles
Registered Users

My Mood:

DH is military so he gets 10 days paternity leave, which starts as soon as I get home from the hospital. So I'll at least have help (from another person who knows as little about babies as I do ) for a little while. After that, we think he may be able to get half days for awhile, just due to the current mission tasks they're doing. Hopefully everything works out!

My mom isn't able to make it here to help so we'll be pretty much alone, learning about the new baby and how to care for him. I can't imagine having to go it by myself or having to return to work so soon afterwards, good luck to all you mamas that have to! I'll be thinking of you!
Old 09-05-2010, 04:28 AM   #18
LisaAnne
Registered Users

My Mood:

Alison-Most babies are pretty low-key in the beginning. If they cry, change them, feed them or walk and snuggle with them. If you haven't seen it, I would recommend getting The Happiest Baby on the Block DVD or book (or both) from your local library. His newborn tips really do work on every infant I've been around.

If you're planning of bf'ing, make sure you're comfortable with getting the baby latched on before leaving the hospital and get the LC's phone number if you can.

My last piece of advice-when changing the baby, always have a changing pad or something underneath. DH refuses to learn this lesson and Alannah has pooped all over as soon as he takes her dipe off 3 or 4 times. I usually think it's funny and let him clean up his own mess, except yesterday he was changing her on the couch!!!

Tracy-I agree-I wish there was a friendlier policy for parents that involved some pay! My DH could take off more, but I would rather he save some PTO in case one of us gets sick or we really need something. Also, since part of his pay is commission, he does get that if he doesn't sell because he isn't working.
Old 09-05-2010, 04:36 AM   #19
Brooke789
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosefall View Post
I had no idea, and our employer obviously didn't enforce it. With DS, I took 12 weeks, and DH took 2. We worked down the hall from each other. DH plans to take at least three weeks this time, using accrued sick leave.

I'm so sorry so many of you mamas are having to deal with this.

That is how it should be! Luckily FMLA guidelines are the minimum, so your employer can choose to give you more leave, etc but they have to do at least what FMLA says.

I'm lucky that my work is being really flexible and just wants to make sure I don't leave. So, they are letting me indefinitely work reduced hours which I'll be taking voluntary furlough for, but b/c I took 12 weeks of 'sick leave' for my bedrest/maternity leave I can't use any more sick leave. I'd either have to do annual or the furlough which I've chosen!
Brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:53 AM   #20
Colleen+1
Registered Users
seller

My dh and I both don't meet the criteria for the fmla unfortunately. He works for a small electrical company, so he doesn't have enough employees there, and I work 2 part time jobs, so I don't work enough hours to meet it.
DS #1, Gavin, 9/23/10. LO #2 Edd 11/05/12! Married to my awesome dh Nathien since 10/14/06. We kicked infertility butt!

http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/mrsthomas1014
Colleen+1 is offline   Reply With Quote