Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-06-2007, 05:46 AM   #1
funda62
Registered Users
seller
seller

Help, bad 1 year checkup.

Just back from DD2s 1 year checkup. She hasn't gained any weight since 9 month check and grown very little. She has always been off the growth chart but pretty much followed her own little curve, now its flat. Dr. is running all kinds of tests, blood, urine, fecal. I'm completely freaked out.

Any experience or advice?

Advertisement

Old 03-06-2007, 06:01 AM   #2
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Re: Help, bad 1 year checkup.

If it makes you feel any better, DS is 14 mos & hasn't gained any weight since he was about 8 mos old. He's fine - healthy as an ox. They all freaked out on me like I starve the boy. He eats like a horse!
Old 03-06-2007, 06:10 AM   #3
zonapellucida
Registered Users
seller

Location: Diligently working on getting out of the hellish state of FL
My Mood:

Yup, I have a child that has gone what seems like backwards! There si probably NOTHING medically wrong so they are going to tell you it is Failure to Thrive. I have an almost 4 yr old dd who was weighes less than her new two brother. Each child grows differently. I bet there is notheing wrong
Old 03-06-2007, 06:20 AM   #4
lilianasmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CottonMamma View Post
If it makes you feel any better, DS is 14 mos & hasn't gained any weight since he was about 8 mos old. He's fine - healthy as an ox. They all freaked out on me like I starve the boy. He eats like a horse!
I agree! DD is 14 months old. At her 12 month appointment she had gained less than a pound from 9 months - the pedi had me bring her back at 13 months, she had gained almost a pound since her last appointment. I think lots of kids hit their growth spurts later than expected, be it a month or 6 months. I'm not worried about dd (she was 17 pounds, 8 ounces at 13 months) - she's also short (about 27 inches). I'm the tallest woman in mine and dh's families - I'm 5'3", do you think dd is gonna be short too?

If there are other signs/symptoms other than being "small" - I really wouldn't worry about it! IMHO
Niki, Mommy to ds ^i^ Miles (b/d 9/10/04), dd Liliana (b. 12/31/05), ds Graves (b. 1/24/08), Wife to Ira (8/3/02) Niki's Knacks - boutique gifts for children and babies - I have a snap press! Ask me about snap service!
lilianasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:27 AM   #5
offlikeapromdress
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

sophia did this. She was a preemie and from 12mos to 18mos she gained no weight. They had me giving her pediasure and more high calorie foods. She did gain a lb and now wieghs 20lbs at 21mos. my 7mos old weighs 20lbs also..lol. She is just gonna be small. She eats constantly.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:21 AM   #6
momx2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

honestly...I don't think I would worry too much. After 9 months is when most babies start crawling around and becoming VERY mobile. All that mobility is when they start slimming down.

edited to add: if they LOSE weight, that's when I'd start to worry. but as long as its being maintained, they're fine.
momx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 10:25 AM   #7
AshersMommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by momx2 View Post
honestly...I don't think I would worry too much. After 9 months is when most babies start crawling around and becoming VERY mobile. All that mobility is when they start slimming down.

edited to add: if they LOSE weight, that's when I'd start to worry. but as long as its being maintained, they're fine.
I was just about to say this! I've heard that babies tend to gain a lot of extra weight/chub the first few months of their lives, because once they start crawling and then walking, they use up a lot of extra calories!

One of the best suggestions I have ever been told is to not watch the charts or monitors, but to watch the baby. So long as s/he is healthy and happy, there should be nothing to worry about!

Like to read? Want something new? Come join us in the March Used Book Swap!
AshersMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 12:00 PM   #8
funda62
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks ladies. I usually don't get my self frustrated by such things but with the stress of the move it hit kind of hard. She is a tiny girl only 15 pounds now. I like our Dr very much and he has always been for wait-and-see (since she's been below the chart since birth) but this time was worried. She wasn't a premie but only 5.5 at birth. She's also very petite at only 25 inches. She is a happy girl and I know everything will be ok.

Again thanks!
Old 03-06-2007, 02:44 PM   #9
kochanyk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Glad you're feeling better... really seems normal to me too. My DS whom is 28 months has only gained 2 lbs since a 12 months! Once they start to move gaining is a whole different ball game.