Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-05-2010, 10:50 AM   #1
wyatt09
B/T with caution

My Mood:
Potty Training at 18 months?!? wow!

This last week my 18 month old son has been telling me "potty" "potty" he always wants to wipe himself with a wipe when I change him. That day just to see what would happened I lifted him up to the toliet and his little sack raised up like he was pushing..he kinda grunted..but he didnt go.Well today he said "potty" potty" again and so I thought well I'll try again..lifted him up and within a few seconds he went! and alot! he even flushed and put the lid down!I was in awe!!Then again right before this post he had some water to drink and I waited and I said "POTTY WYATT?" He said "Potty." I took him in again and he went straight away and a good amount!!So should I continue this??Is he too young?? I know cloth diapered babies potty train sooner but I heard you should wait till around age 2 cuz it could like "scar" them, Any advice suggestions or tips for me??I figured id keep it up!He's very smart and talks short sentences for his age so maybe he's just alittle advanced.

Anyone has a couple trainers for cheap too like 8 bucks or less for a boy?(Not the bulky gerber kind)

Advertisement

Last edited by wyatt09; 09-05-2010 at 10:51 AM.
wyatt09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:06 PM   #2
wyatt09
B/T with caution

My Mood:
Re: Potty Training at 18 months?!? wow!

waiting...
wyatt09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:13 PM   #3
Lu&Ce'sMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2Lucas
seller

My Mood:

No my friends started their son at 18 months (cloth diapered) and by age 2 he was pretty well ready to go. I bought a potty for my DS who is 18 months he says "bye bye" potty when we go closes the lid etc. I got him to go one time after a nap but that's been all, I'm not gonna push I don't think he's there just yet but your son sounds ready! GL!
Old 09-05-2010, 01:05 PM   #4
carolz
Registered Users
seller

Location: Moved from NorCal to CO but born & raised in Hawaii
My Mood:

DD is 18 mo and I wanted to start PT'ing her but she's not really showing any signs. She only knows how to flush the toilet. lol...But I would continue what you're doing mama! It's never too early.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:08 PM   #5
staceyroo77
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DD is 19 months and has been interested in the potty for about a month now. She's peed on the potty about 3 times so far, and throws a fit whenever I try to put a diaper on her. She loves to run around without a diaper. We just have to work on getting that pee and poo into the potty!
Old 09-05-2010, 02:15 PM   #6
joy7s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think it's child dependent. As long as he is wanting to do it I'd continue. If it's stressing him I'd stop..
Spring Joy Jesus following,cding, extended bfing,tandem nursing (again!) , homeschooling, mama milk donating, semi crunchy and green mama. Unemployed ped RN married to my one and only n asl Terp since 2/16/00
my three princesses: a (6/26/04) s (9/15/06) and Z (8/5/08)
and little man Z (11/12/10)
joy7s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:22 PM   #7
Mamajga
Registered Users
Formerly: nan3
seller

I agree, if he's showing interest go for it. My DD is 16 1/2 months and has been poop trained for almost a month now. She's doing better with pee, going about 2-3 Xs a day. She was very similar to your DS except she signs for when she has to go to the potty instead of saying it. I have put her on at times and she quickly gets off or cries and I don't push it. I find some days she asks more than others. I guess I would say I'm doing baby led toilet learning. I'm amazed too, but she's going to have to learn sometime, so it may as well be now!
Mamajga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 06:17 AM   #8
OneFishTwoFish
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy7s View Post
I think it's child dependent. As long as he is wanting to do it I'd continue. If it's stressing him I'd stop..
I agree! My son is 2.5 and he has been peeing on the potty for a looooong time now but always wore diapers until this past week. I realized that he was naturally staying dry longer and so I decided to show him underpants and see how it went. So far so good!

I think you should follow your sons cues and also keep in mind what he can comprehend and express to you. I don't think my son would have always been able to communicate his need to eliminate that young, yet if I asked he could almost always eek out some urine on the potty.
OneFishTwoFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:18 AM   #9
Oropeza13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD is 18 months. I bought a potty for upstairs and downstairs...When we get up in the morning the first thing we do is go to the potty...She pretty much is only interested in sitting on it while I'm on the toilet wanting to be like mommy...but hey why not! I'm not going to push it though as some previous posters said..

TTC
Oropeza13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:54 PM   #10
dumaine
Registered Users

I agree they can never be too young to potty in a potty instead of a diaper! As long as it is a gentle, loving interaction of course. You may want to check out the 'elimination communication' forum on this board. It is full of mamas who potty their babies much earlier than normal-for this country. It's not scaring at all-in fact it is really beneficial for many kids. We started pottying my baby at 5 weeks due to horrible diaper rash (among other reasons) and he is not scarred at all

ecaPants are patent pending
dumaine is offline   Reply With Quote