Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-02-2007, 06:28 PM   #1
gabby's_mama
Registered Users
seller

What am I looking for?

I'm looking for something, but I'm not quite sure what. I need some sort of activity thingy that will allow DS to sit up assisted. Since he was a newborn, he's preferred being vertical - no horizontal cradle carries with a pouch, rs, or wrap for us EVER.

We have a reclining thingy but he doesn't like the half laying down half sitting up thing. We have a bumbo seat, but he's not a big fan of that - he's longer on top than he is on the bottom and he's got a big heavy head, so he slumps forward. We have a jumperoo that we recently got off of craigslist and he LOVES that, but he can't be jumping all the time and when he's just hanging around upright in it, I don't like that he's kind of dangling from his crotch. If it were up to him, he'd spend all day upright in a hip carry (in a pouch, rs, or wrap). What can I get that will allow him to be upright, but won't put too much pressure on the bottom half of his spine or his crotch? What am I looking for?

Advertisement

Old 03-02-2007, 07:16 PM   #2
ceilismom
Registered Users
seller

Re: What am I looking for?

Exersaucer? I have one that you can adjust the height, and it has several activity toys attached to it. As long as your DS is able to support his head, these are pretty safe.
ceilismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:05 PM   #3
gabby's_mama
Registered Users
seller

Does he sit in the exersaucer? Is it like a chair?
Old 03-02-2007, 09:08 PM   #4
Shyla
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

no the excersaucer is like the thing you hang in the door way for the baby to jump in (seat wise that is) . My ds loves his though it has so many toys and gadgets. Here is a picture of ds's (dd is reading to him and the puppy is curled up at his feet lol)

I have you tried using a boppy to help him sit? Or mabey a high chair with toys attached our ds just got one and he loves it alot

No I dont put him in things all day (just in case you were thinking it ) normally hes right at my side we just have alot of stuff lol and Ive had 4 kids so Ive tried almost everything

Does he really have to be upright? You could go with one of those toys that dangle over his head (I think they are called Gyms) Like this:
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B0000936LR
ISO GMS & Wool:

Last edited by Shyla; 03-02-2007 at 09:15 PM.
Shyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:16 PM   #5
gabby's_mama
Registered Users
seller

That's so cute - with the puppy curled up at his feet! We don't have a high chair and we were hoping not to have to get one. We don't have a boppy either!
Old 03-02-2007, 09:17 PM   #6
Shyla
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabby's_mama View Post
That's so cute - with the puppy curled up at his feet! We don't have a high chair and we were hoping not to have to get one. We don't have a boppy either!

Too bad your not near me or you could try them out and see if they work

Oh the puppy loves him (he cant move yet or force him outside or pull on his collar like his siblings do)
ISO GMS & Wool:
Old 03-02-2007, 11:00 PM   #7
grisaleen
Registered Users
seller

I used an exersaucer a bit, too. You could have it lower than the one pictured, so that your babe would be sitting a bit more. That's what we did so that dd wouldn't be dangling at all.

My dd didn't like the cradle hold, either. I had her in a hip carry in the rs before she was great at holding her head, but I would just hold my hand there to keep it supported. She's a pretty big fan of the MT now, have you tried one?

Good luck!
Old 03-03-2007, 12:01 AM   #8
Shyla
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by grisaleen View Post
I used an exersaucer a bit, too. You could have it lower than the one pictured, so that your babe would be sitting a bit more. That's what we did so that dd wouldn't be dangling at all.

My dd didn't like the cradle hold, either. I had her in a hip carry in the rs before she was great at holding her head, but I would just hold my hand there to keep it supported. She's a pretty big fan of the MT now, have you tried one?

Good luck!

According to the manafacturer you are not supposed to put it lower than the lowest setting. I just wanted you to know it is a saftey hazard to put it any lower. the one pictured is on the lowest setting. It does say not to in the little guide thing that comes with the seat His feet now do touch the bottom so that they are flat on the bottom now

I totally agree with the MT you really should try one. They are even pretty easy to make and are great for carrying baby and baby to be in an upright position
ISO GMS & Wool:

Last edited by Shyla; 03-03-2007 at 12:03 AM.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:05 AM   #9
grisaleen
Registered Users
seller

I didn't mean to put it lower than the lowest setting. Mine is much different than the one pictured and went much lower.

nak
Old 03-03-2007, 09:28 AM   #10
gabby's_mama
Registered Users
seller

The mt is great for front or back carries, but the little guy likes to look around and see everything that's going on. . .that, and the mt is our go-to nap time carrier, so every time I bust one out, he thinks I'm trying to put him to sleep. He wants to sit up and have a clear unobstructed view of what's going on - hence, the hip carry. And if I weren't such a wimp, I suppose I could wear him all day on one hip, but he's over 17 lbs and I'm about 110, and he doesn't grip with is legs yet, so one shoulder carries with my sack of potatoes are rough, especially since he wants me to be moving all the time when he's worn. I'm just a weakling and I get tired.