Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-07-2010, 08:46 AM   #1
amanda_rocks
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
cord banking..

I am having my 4th child, I come from a huge family with all sorts of medical history.. I have been contemplating banking this babies cord blood.. I haven't seen any posts about it here and am wondering if anyone really does that when they don't have any reason too other than preventative thinking, and if you did how does it work?

Advertisement

Old 09-07-2010, 09:11 AM   #2
gerka528
Registered Users
seller

Re: cord banking..

I banked the cord blood of DD1 and DD2. I didn't with DD3 and wont' with the LO coming in December. I figure every child now has 2 opportunities for a match should we ever need one. We don't have any huge risk factors, but I wanted the security that it was there if we ever needed it. We used Viacord and have been very happy with their service.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:37 AM   #3
*Peanut*
Registered Users
seller
seller

Last edited by *Peanut*; 09-08-2010 at 11:15 PM.
*Peanut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:43 AM   #4
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

While my family hasn't personally, I know several families who have done this. A 4yo little girl from my church is going to undergo a bone marrow transplant involving her stored cord blood on September 13. I am so glad that it came in useful for them.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:48 AM   #5
syfitz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I did it with dd3. I planned to with ds, but he was born too quickly and by the time someone who knew how got there to collect the cord blood, there wasn't enough left.
I'm glad I have at least one banked. I'd do it again if we have another baby.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:58 AM   #6
VeryChicBaby
Registered Users
Formerly: jenny342
seller

My Mood:

May I ask about pricing? I always mean to look into this. From what I understand there is a one time up front fee and then you pay storage fees after that each year?

Jenny, Mama to many, 16, 14, 11, & 3 & & 10 mth baby girl!!

~Custom Recycled Wool Shoes ~ & Leather, OBV & Fabric Soft Soles

VeryChicBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:39 PM   #7
mycdsqueaker
Registered Users
Formerly: juliasmom92905
seller

I guess if a family is planning on having a couple children it would be something to look into. I am not sure how helpful it would be to use one's own blood though if it were infected with bad cells.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:44 PM   #8
momofdestructobaby
Registered Users
seller

We banked DD2s cord blood. I wish we had done it with DD1. If we have more children we will do it again. I am in Canada and it cost us about $2000 for the gathering or it, shipping it to be stored (had to fly it there), processing and 11 years of storage. It is about $100 a year for continued storage after that. My dad was also recently diagnosed with Cancer, and my grandma died of breast cancer.......that was part of the decision why we chose to bank it. My good friend also banked her son's as he is bi-racial (caucasian/asian) and thus it would be more difficult to dfind him a match if needed later.
momofdestructobaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:55 PM   #9
amanda_rocks
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycdsqueaker View Post
I guess if a family is planning on having a couple children it would be something to look into. I am not sure how helpful it would be to use one's own blood though if it were infected with bad cells.
thankfully non of my children have any medical issues that haven't been handled- none that would need cord blood, I am just looking to the future- besides it can be donated after it is banked if we decided to do that too I think.. just trying to figure stuff out before my next 18 weeks is up
Old 09-07-2010, 01:17 PM   #10
Sassu
Registered Users
seller

There was a thread or two about this awhile ago over in the pregnancy forum, I believe. You might check that out.

We did bank DDs cord blood - we don't have family history of illness but just like to cover our bases. We use CBR and are very happy with their customer service. We will do it for the next baby too.
Sara - Wife to DH since 04 . Mom to DD (3/09) and expecting #2 (2/11) Also mom to 3 crazy mutts . It's a circus around here!
Sassu is offline   Reply With Quote