Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-07-2010, 11:54 AM   #1
blesdfish
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Should you ever ask for permission to breastfeed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialectica View Post
I am of the "if my nursing offends you, please feel free to cover up" school of thought.

I tried to write out my other thoughts but that really does sum it up.
Why is the boob so sexuality that we can't use it for it's designed purpose without offending people? UGH

I couldn't BF my babies and it broke my heart

Advertisement

Old 09-07-2010, 11:55 AM   #2
imasupernova
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Here is the thing. Your friend knew that you guys breastfeed. You have done it together. They invited you over and to be honest she knew that you would have to feed your children. She could have EASILY mentioned it to you before you went there. He could have also left the room. Why make the guests go hide out somewhere to feed their kids. So strange...

mom to se7en rockin' kiddos
Do you Swag? You can earn FREE gift cards!
imasupernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:57 AM   #3
Miles
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

She sounds like my mom! I had to nurse my DD#3 at my moms one day. My nephew who is now 16 was there, I wasnt showing a thing. Thing is she wouldnt allow me to nurse unless he was gone out of the room and then talked about some lady nursing in front of my step father(who didnt care at all) when they were out. How you SHOULD NEVER nurse in front of a guy unless its your DH or BF or Partner. I was shocked as she herself nursed all 4 of us kids until we were 9 mos old! She told me she always went to the car or else where if they were at someones house and a guy was around, she wouldnt nurse in public either she would go to the bathroom for the same reason. I was like um ok!

BTW I have nursed 2 of my kids in front of DH friends before. One of which was at his house, the other(his brother) when we were all at the park. I nursed DD#3 at DD#2 party while my good friends hubby was there talking to me. Nothing seemed to bother them, and no I dont ask the kid has to eat!
Old 09-07-2010, 11:57 AM   #4
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No I've never asked, it's my right to nurse and it's their right to look the other way. If I was a single mom and was nursing or had friends that nursed and got a new boyfriend I would tell him that my friends and/or I nurse, so ya better get use to it.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:58 AM   #5
*Peanut*
Registered Users
seller
seller

Last edited by *Peanut*; 09-08-2010 at 09:47 PM.
*Peanut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:04 PM   #6
Pikemommy
Registered Users
seller

I think most women on here will agree with you entirely. That said, this forum does not represent the whole of society and while MOST of your friends and acquaintances are fine with it there is a large population (probably the bulk of the population) of those that think it's something done privately and not in public. I'm not saying I agree one way or the other, just food for thought I guess.
I will say I think it's much more socially accepted to nurse a baby than it is a toddler, babies are smaller and it's easier to be more discreet. But even the age of the nursling aside, my MIL and Mother are of the mindset that you don't nurse in public... they didn't do it in their day and don't think it's acceptable now either. My MIL FREAKED OUT when a friend of mine nursed her NB in front of her and my FIL, she talked about how rude it was for weeks (keeping in mind FIL wasn't even allowed in the delivery room when their kids were born).
Alas, times change and while some think it's fine others don't and that will never change. I just think it's important to be respectful of those around you... I don't nurse in front my MIL or FIL because I know their feelings, and when I'm with a new group of people I go to a private room. It doesn't bother me, it's my time with the baby and I don't need people watching or being uncomfortable with it. I can honestly say I RARELY see a woman BFing in public... it's more the norm to do it in private.
S 3/15 7lbs 15oz 20.5in
Pikemommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:06 PM   #7
birdie
Registered Users
seller

I only ask if I go coverless.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:14 PM   #8
tjsacosta
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I personally have no issue nursing my baby in public or around family. My husband on the other hand does. He doesn't care about females seeing me nurse but cares about males. I nurse in public discreetly when I am out w/o him. AS far as at other peoples house or if I have someone over I do ask just to check. I believe that when you enter someones house or have guests over yopu should be considerate of their veiw, not that you have to agree with them. That being said, when I am out in public around strangers I take on the mentality that they can choose not to look if my child is hungry.
tjsacosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:15 PM   #9
*Peanut*
Registered Users
seller
seller

Last edited by *Peanut*; 09-08-2010 at 09:47 PM.
*Peanut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:18 PM   #10
sh0rtchica
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

weird - is anyone else missing the first couple of posts in this thread?
sh0rtchica is offline   Reply With Quote