Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-07-2010, 12:34 PM   #11
hippiechick77
Registered Users
seller

Re: Your Opinion on Stripping of Membranes and Anything Else

I agree with PP that I would membrane stripping before pitocin if you want to keep things natural. I am a L+D nurse and I agree that some doctors do overuse pitocin, but there is a time and place for it. I had my membranes stripped twice with DS#2, water did not break and I did NOT go into labor. Apparently he felt he was not ready. However, he was quite large so I allowed my ob to induce at 40 1/7 by breaking my water. Luckily I did not need pitocin and I was able to have a natural delivery, minus his shoulders getting stuck for over a minute which was pretty scary. I definately had the view before of letting nature take its course but I guess she forgot me! So now I try to look at things more from both sides. I'm so glad I went with a little intervention, if he had gotten any bigger there could have been many more interventions or something serious could have happened to him. Not trying to stir up controversy here, I just happen to have a different side of the story than most. Good luck mama!

Advertisement

hippiechick77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:38 PM   #12
lifeacoustic
Registered Users

My Mood:

I appreciate EVERYONE sharing regardless of their opinion. I really like hearing all sides. I'd rather be informed and hear a variety of stories than be dead set on one way. This baby has got her own plan anyway. I just want to be able to make informed/educated decisions when the time is right. Thank you everyone for sharing your stories.

We have a great DDC board that is nonjudgemental. I value everyone here and the visitors who have opinions. Everyone is welcome.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:52 PM   #13
sophiexp
Registered Users
seller
seller

ask about having your cervix softened, it can help get you dialated and ready to go.
sophiexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 01:49 PM   #14
nceveritt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiexp View Post
ask about having your cervix softened, it can help get you dialated and ready to go.
i agree with this, mostly because your Bishop's Score is really low. they say that the best time for any "interventions" to kick-start labor is after your score reaches a 7 or 8... and if you're only 50% effaced, 1 dilated, and still slightly posterior (I think that's what she meant about the position), your Bishop's Score is only a 1 or 2, I think.

try taking EPO or borage oil (another sept mom mentioned taking this, and i'd never heard of it, but same general concept as EPO -- just insert one vaginally to your cervix) to help your cervix along. then, by your next appointment, maybe things will've changed and you'll be a better situation to being stripped. i say if your doctor says your Bishop's Score is 7+, you might as well strip at your next appointment.

Like our store on Facebook
nceveritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 03:06 PM   #15
JerBearsMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm debating about this too. My doc told me he'd strip me this week, if I wanted. I will be 39w6d at my appt. I'm going to say no. I did have pitocin with my first, at 41w1d - and it was horrible in my experience. I will do what needs to be done to avoid that this time. Its different for everyone, but for me, it was BAD. If I make it to 41 weeks, then I might consider it at that time - based on NST and how we're both doing. Labor dust!
JerBearsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 03:28 PM   #16
rosefall
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think that, personally, when I get to 41 weeks, I would consent to having my membranes stripped. With DS, the OB stripped them without even asking me, and DS was born less than 24 hours later with other labor induction or augmentation.

Fortunately, the practice I go to now has said they'd always ask before doing something like that.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:35 PM   #17
KumfyKozies
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Somewhere underneath my yarn and fabric hoard in the US of A
My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannondicarpo View Post
Angela I would just hold out. She WILL come when she is ready. For all I know the day before I had Kate I was 1cm dilated. It is going to happen. Don't let them talk you into things that you do not want. As long as she sounds good and everything else checks out well I would hang in there. 40+5 almost killed me after Nikolas was 38+3.

Please feel free to post your vents on here so that we can give you the support that you need to get through these last few days.

I have never dilated a single cm before I was in labor, and my last labor was 4 hours, start-to-finish. Your baby and your body know when your baby's birthday is, and as difficult as we all know it is to wait until that magic moment, it will happen in the perfect time.
More because we all know what you're feeling right now.
KumfyKozies™- Etsy Shop
KumfyKozies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 03:37 PM   #18
rachaeljohnson
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

hugs, i would wait...but do'nt blame you if you do it! I had it done 3 times with dd.
~MY BLOG~

rachaeljohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 03:52 PM   #19
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

My dr plans on stripping my membranes this Thursday...which I'm all for. If that doesn't work then she plans on inducing on Monday (which I'm kind of hesitant about).

I would really like "Sister" to come on her own. But since she is as large as her brother was and baking longer than he did...I just want her out!
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 04:09 PM   #20
Mom23kids2008
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My first DD was 40w + 6d. I was seeing a midwife (in an OB clinic), she offered to strip mine a few days before DD was born, but I declined. As long as the NST is fine an you are okay, I wouldn't. JMO..... oh, and I have never made any progress until labor started. So, just because you aren't fully effaced, etc., doesn't mean a thing. Labor could still start any second!
Mom23kids2008 is offline   Reply With Quote