Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-07-2010, 04:41 PM   #21
windy_fairy
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Your Opinion on Stripping of Membranes and Anything Else

I just got mine stripped this morning and it hurt a LOT! So far nothing but crampiness. I didn't have it done at all with DD#1 but this time I have insulin dependent GD and I'm trying for a VBAC. If this baby doesn't make an appearance by next week they will be pushing for induction.

Advertisement

windy_fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 04:47 PM   #22
katiegud
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just got back from my 37 week appt and the Dr. offered to strip my membranes today. My effacement had gone down though (not sure I understand that, 50% 2 weeks ago, now only 10%) and I was only 1 cm, so she waited. It was implied that stripping the membranes only takes a couple of days off of your gestation time, if anything. This is my first baby, so I don't really know, but they really didn't seem to think that it would cause that much of a change.
katiegud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:34 PM   #23
miraclebabysmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hey Angela-

I had my membranes stripped with each of my kids, although I didn't know it at the time. I thought it was crazy how I'd have an appointment where I'd get "checked" and my OB would say, "well I'm on call this weekend, so if you go into labor it'll be me delivering" or, "Well, I'm on tonight and tomorrow, but then I'll be on vacation so if you go soon I'll be delivering." And wouldn't ya know it, each time I wound up in labor!! It wasn't until after Ava that I commented on the coincidence and she admitted to having stripped my membranes each time.

And from what I understand the process just involves reaching into the cervix and running a finger around the inside edge to seperate the amniotic sac from the inside part of the cervix?? The concept being that depending on how strong your amniotic sac is it could be holding you back from dilating, but once seperated can allow the cervix to dilate faster if it is ready to? make sense?

As for my take on it...because I didn't know it had happened, I may have mistaken some of the symptoms it caused (bleeding and cramps) as the start of labor, so i went to the hospital and then wound up on pitocin for 2 out of 3 births. but if I had known it was happening, I may have stayed home longer?? So I guess I am not against it, if you are informed when it is happening, but it could lead to other interventions that you may not want. (I too am trying to avoid pitocin this time around)
My diapers are not collectors items...they are diapers...used to poop in.
miraclebabysmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 06:24 PM   #24
~happy2Bamommy~
Four things come not back: The spoken word; the sped arrow; the past life; and the neglected opportunity.
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

You sound like your body is doing what mine is this time around. It has surprised me since I am usually at 4cm at 40 weeks LOL! Being at only 1 kind of stinks!

I'd wait. I do wait! I've never yet gone past 42 weeks and 1 day (it is VERY hard to wait untiil 42 weeks though!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeacoustic View Post
Thank you Shannon. It's a good reminder to listen to my heart and gut. As long as her fluid levels check out, and she passes the NST with flying colors like I know she will... then there's nothing to worry about, right? 40 weeks, 5 days you say? Well, that's only two days away. I hope, I hope, I hope...
Honestly, if they are wanting you to induce don't just trust whatever they say. With my third, the OB I was seeing as backup insisted that the US showed my son was running out of fluid and had poo'd already. Midwife said there was plenty of fluid and that if he HAD poo'd we would work fast to help him. DS passed his NST so I waited.

Water broke and there was a TON of fluid and NO poo.

Go with your gut mama

~happy2Bamommy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 06:32 PM   #25
LisaAnne
Registered Users

My Mood:

I would also do everything possible to avoid pitocin. Almost everyone I know who had it ended up with an epidural because the ctx were so painful.

I would be more likely (and was already considering) some other options, such as ankle and nipple stimulation to start labor. The fact that it can cause premature rupture of membranes is what would make me very nervous about membrane stripping. Once your water breaks, you're on a forced clock, which often leads to additional interventions. I also have to say that my OB broke my water with Jack and it made labor much more painful without the cushion of amniotic fluid. I think that cushion helped make Alannah's labor so easy.

If it does come down to induction, there are options besides pitocin. My OB used a prostaglandin gel with Jack and it is a much more natural progression of labor. I would avoid Cytotec (sp?) like the plague, more so than pitocin. My Bradley teacher said she calls those births "Cytoblasts." it causes FAST labor and almost always results in significant tearing.

Hang in there. I was fully ready to go 41 weeks and know I probably would have needed support from you ladies! Your family history would definitely make me much more confident in the decision to let Aurora come when Aurora is ready, despite what anyone else says!
Old 09-07-2010, 07:51 PM   #26
MommyKeller0107
Registered Users
seller

Angela,

I agree with the others that as long as baby is reactive on the NST and fluid levels are looking good, just keep trucking! There is no need to do anything you don't want to until you are ready or baby is in distress.

As far as pitocin, though, I made it through an augmented delivery (Pitocin to strengthen contractions, but my labor started naturally) - without an epi. I don't blame you for wanting to avoid it, but worst case scenario know that it IS possible!

L0Ri K

MAMA T0 KADE (1/07)
LEVi (09/10)!

:: & RUBY ♥ ::
MommyKeller0107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:30 AM   #27
melilo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBLayaw View Post

I have never dilated a single cm before I was in labor, and my last labor was 4 hours, start-to-finish. Your baby and your body know when your baby's birthday is, and as difficult as we all know it is to wait until that magic moment, it will happen in the perfect time.
More because we all know what you're feeling right now.
Same here. When I went into the hospital, I was not dialated at all and was having contractions about every 5 minutes. My son was born 10 hours later. You do not have to be dialated before labor starts. Everyone's body is different.

Rubber City Doula You Deserve A Doula!
DONA Trained Birth Doula
melilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:01 AM   #28
lifeacoustic
Registered Users

My Mood:

Who needs membrane sweeping when they've got REAL contractions? Go me.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:04 AM   #29
kannondicarpo
seller
seller

My Mood:

Charlene Keala || 9.27.10, Zakary Michael || 10.25.12 & Baby "Momomi" || October 2014 ~

Loving life on the Big Island!
kannondicarpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:54 AM   #30
magbtrfly
Banned
seller

My Mood:

I'm very with Jamie
magbtrfly is offline   Reply With Quote