Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-07-2010, 04:12 PM   #1
mrscompgeek
Registered Users
seller
seller

MMR vax

My daughter is almost 1 and its almost time for her 12 month checkup where she will be getting the Chickenpox, MMR and HEP A vax. . I have given her every vax so far but am going to skip the chickenpox vax for sure and am pondering skipping the MMR one. Any take on this?
Why did you or why didn't you give your kids the MMR vax?
I know some of you probably didnt vax at all and some of you selective or delay vax and some of you probably do all vaxes. I am just wondering those of you who selective delay why did you the MMR one??

Advertisement

mrscompgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 04:19 PM   #2
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: MMR vax

My DD got MMR at 1 year but we delayed chickenpox. I won't be doing chicken pox for any future children. Oh has she had Hep A yet? If not I would recommend delaying the Hep A til next check. The only new vax my DD got at 1 was MMR because If there was a reaction I wanted to doubt that it was due to MMR.
You can get separated MMR..well could 6 years ago atleast. So if your worried you can do one part at time. If there are not histories in the family of allergies to it I would get it. But I am a vax'er. DD won't be getting the HPV one and like I said the chicken pox now is a no, other than those 100% vax'd.
I do know they test mamas for rubella immunity when pregnant so that might be an issue for your DD later on in life. I guess just cause if you get it while pregnant it is bad.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:46 PM   #3
jbaxter
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We didnt start vaxing till Jack was 12 months. He has had chicken pox. Hep A we are not doing at all and MMR not till age 5 maybe. MMR is no long available separate. I would give nothing else with that particular vaccine. We also only do the DTaP alone.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:00 PM   #4
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I delay vax. Mainly I just think its hard on kiddos bodies. Its hard on mine. I don't have a set schedule. I only do one shot at at time and I make sure they are feeling 100% when we go. This delays it enough for me. I think Benji was about 18-19 months by the time we did MMR. I already thought he was autistic, i had made my first request for eval for this at 16.5 months. He didn't have any worse symptoms or anything after the MMR. He is severely autistic now but he actually had some signs at 6 months and then a ton by 15 months. I'm sure if he had gotten the shot at 12 months I may have blamed it but since he was older I don't blame that shot.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:33 PM   #5
mrscompgeek
Registered Users
seller
seller

So does delaying the MMR until age 3 or older reduce the risk factors??
Old 09-07-2010, 07:38 PM   #6
myfrugalfunlife
Banned- member requested
seller

Select/delay vaxer here-my ds is two and still has not gotten the MMR-I'm waiting till he's at least 3. Right now we're working through the Hep B and Hep A series.
myfrugalfunlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:39 PM   #7
mrscompgeek
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfrugalfunlife View Post
Select/delay vaxer here-my ds is two and still has not gotten the MMR-I'm waiting till he's at least 3. Right now we're working through the Hep B and Hep A series.
So your doing the Hep A? The more I read the more Im kinda thinking no on that on. Im just not positive yet
Old 09-07-2010, 07:44 PM   #8
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am very against the MMR vaccine personally. This is the vaccine my son reacted to. He developed encephalitis and brain damage. It is uncommon yes, but it has permanently changed his life. He is now on the autism spectrum. So this is where I am coming from when I talk about this vaccine. I personally don't feel that the diseases themselves pose enough risk for the vaccine to be worth it. My youngest son does not actually have any vaccines but even if he did MMR would never be one of them. If you choose to do MMR my suggestion is to wait until your child is older (at least 3 but 5 is even better) and don't do any other vaccines even close to when you administer MMR. I would wait several months just to be certain. Definitely do not give it at the same time as other live virus vaccines.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:54 PM   #9
katiegud
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think that doing the MMR separately is fine, but I definitely wouldn't skip it. My DH's aunt had the measles when she was young, and is now mentally retarded. She is permanently in the state that she was in when she had the illness (around age 5). That is scary enough to me to say that the vaccine is necessary. The other 2, chickenpox and Hep A, I could see delaying. I'm not personally vaccinated for Hep A and I've never had it (did get chickenpox), so I'm not sure about giving that one to my kid.
katiegud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:18 PM   #10
linzbear
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Skipped chickenpox, got first dose of MMR, but tomorrow am supposed to get 2nd dose and I'm skipping it until at least age 2. The whole measles in the digestive system side effect skeeves me out.

DS will get the full MMR, just not yet. He also will get chicken pox vax if he hasn't got it naturally probably around age 8, not sure.

Didn't even look at Hep A, maybe I should check my schedule! I am less worried about vaccine contents and more worried about permanent side effects (MMR) and being used as a guinea pig (varicella).

ExtBFing, ERFing, CDing, bedsharing mama to Lucas (2-21-09), Gabriel (4-16-11), Elliot (1-17-14), and loving wife to Rodd
linzbear is offline   Reply With Quote