Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-07-2010, 08:28 PM   #11
nceveritt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: MMR vax

I'm trying to find out if I can get the M-M vaccines, but not rubella. From everything I've read, it's a slightly pointless thing to be vaccinated against until a woman is hitting puberty/childbearing age... So if I can find a doctor to do it, we'll wait.

And we're skipping the chickenpox vax.

Advertisement

Like our store on Facebook
nceveritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:29 PM   #12
mrscompgeek
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks ladies!!
Im skipping the chicken pox one totally and I think after reading and doing more research this evening Im going to delay the MMR until at least 3 years old.
The Hep A= Jury is still out on that one. . lol
mrscompgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:37 PM   #13
g&g
Registered Users

My Mood:

No chicken pox-ever. MMR is being delayed until 5, or if they start breaking it up again, she will get each one individually. I don't like the idea of giving her little body so many live vaccines at once. We delay all her vaccines.
Katy, outnumbered Marine wife/mom/geologist to a spunky Hoo, a sweet Pipes, with #3 due in Aug, and 2 crazy wiener dogs, Graben and Gabi.

g&g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:39 PM   #14
NebraskaGirl82
Registered Users
seller

I am delaying the MMR until DD2 is two, and the varicella until maybe a year after that.

Chicken pox, as a child, doesn't worry me- it is getting it as an adult that does. However, I am sending her to a private preschool which requires it.

MMR. Honestly I can't remember why but I think it reduces rxn risk to delay?
NebraskaGirl82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:50 PM   #15
Crew&West
Registered Users
Formerly: Crewsmom
seller

We skipped the chickenpox (or I should say we won't do it), skipped Hep A for now and will delay MMR until 4 or 5.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:08 AM   #16
myfrugalfunlife
Banned- member requested
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscompgeek View Post
So your doing the Hep A? The more I read the more Im kinda thinking no on that on. Im just not positive yet
Yes-he got his first dose of hep A when he got his first dose of hep B, this spring (we did not do the hep b in the delivery room).
We'll finish both series by the end of this year. Then at his 3 yr check up (next May), we'll probably get the MMR.
I think after that we'll be caught up, except for chicken pox, which I'm still hopeful he'll catch naturally-if he doesn't get it by kindergarten though, we'll probably get the vaccination.
The ones we're totally skipping are flu and the infant rhoto virus.
myfrugalfunlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:12 AM   #17
myfrugalfunlife
Banned- member requested
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris0110 View Post
I am very against the MMR vaccine personally. This is the vaccine my son reacted to. He developed encephalitis and brain damage. It is uncommon yes, but it has permanently changed his life. He is now on the autism spectrum. So this is where I am coming from when I talk about this vaccine. I personally don't feel that the diseases themselves pose enough risk for the vaccine to be worth it. My youngest son does not actually have any vaccines but even if he did MMR would never be one of them. If you choose to do MMR my suggestion is to wait until your child is older (at least 3 but 5 is even better) and don't do any other vaccines even close to when you administer MMR. I would wait several months just to be certain. Definitely do not give it at the same time as other live virus vaccines.
Is there a reason why waiting longer is better? I was thinking of having my ds get it at his 3 yr check up but if there's a reason to wait till he's 5, I'm open to that too
My goal is to have him caught up/on schedule by the time he goes to kindergarten-but he turns 5 in May and won't go to school till that fall, so it still works to delay it.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:24 AM   #18
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfrugalfunlife View Post
Is there a reason why waiting longer is better? I was thinking of having my ds get it at his 3 yr check up but if there's a reason to wait till he's 5, I'm open to that too
My goal is to have him caught up/on schedule by the time he goes to kindergarten-but he turns 5 in May and won't go to school till that fall, so it still works to delay it.
My top two reasons for waiting till 5 are: One if you wait till 5 they only need one shot instead of two (check with your district to make sure but most won't require a booster if you have a single dose right before starting) and less shots are better. The second reason is because a 5 year old has 5 years of established behavior. Their speech patterns are pretty well developed and understandable and so anything out of the ordinary is easier to pick up. I will admit it is a bit of an alarmist thing to say and maybe it is a bit cynical but when Kearnan reacted to his MMR vaccine the PA put us off for months with things like "oh he is just starting to tantrum because of his age" (he was 18months when he received the vax) or the best one "he isn't talking to you because he is mad at you" . It is harder for some one to argue those sorts of things with a 5 year old. So in the unlikely chance that your child does react you are more likely to notice the reaction quickly and get help immediately.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:12 PM   #19
myfrugalfunlife
Banned- member requested
seller

Quote:
My top two reasons for waiting till 5 are: One if you wait till 5 they only need one shot instead of two (check with your district to make sure but most won't require a booster if you have a single dose right before starting) and less shots are better. The second reason is because a 5 year old has 5 years of established behavior. Their speech patterns are pretty well developed and understandable and so anything out of the ordinary is easier to pick up. I will admit it is a bit of an alarmist thing to say and maybe it is a bit cynical but when Kearnan reacted to his MMR vaccine the PA put us off for months with things like "oh he is just starting to tantrum because of his age" (he was 18months when he received the vax) or the best one "he isn't talking to you because he is mad at you" . It is harder for some one to argue those sorts of things with a 5 year old. So in the unlikely chance that your child does react you are more likely to notice the reaction quickly and get help immediately.
thanks for the input-I'll definitely have to think about delaying it more!
Old 09-08-2010, 12:18 PM   #20
katiegud
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Sorry to hijack a little, but what kind of reaction did Kearnan have? Did he get encephalitis or something? I work with animals, who often have shock-like reactions to vaccines, but I really don't know much about children's reactions. Just curious about what happened to him.
katiegud is offline   Reply With Quote