Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 09-08-2010, 10:36 AM   #11
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Help! How to Get a 3 Year Old to Listen During Structured Activities

If someone can figure out how to get a 3-year-old to listen at ALL I am all ears!

I got yet another comment from my DD's pre-school teachers saying "We are really working on listening." Which is their nice way of saying "your kids never listens to us."

Those who dance are thought to be insane by those who can't hear the music.
I got the Swagbuck bug! JOIN ME!
Toby_99833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:03 AM   #12
Registered Users
My Mood:

My 3yo rarely listens to me, at all, whether during structured or unstructured activities We have him in gym and swim classes. Last night was his first swim class, and he had a little trouble paying attention, but as usual, did much better with someone he doesn't know than with me

I don't see anything wrong with some structured activity, as long as your child is enjoying it and not overwhelmed
Proud AF wife, birth & postpartum doula, happy to be a SAHM to my 2 sweet boys, L (3yo) and D (2yo), and surprise! due March 2011!
logansmomma07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:59 AM   #13
Registered Users
My Mood:

Originally Posted by elibellij View Post
I think he should be able to sit and pay attention for the 10 minutes when the teacher was talking to them. He shouldn't be throwing a fit changing gears to do the three different things that went on during that hour. That's what we're working toward
Originally Posted by doodah View Post
hang in there OP and do what you feel is best for him. I agree with you that some age appropriate structure is completely reasonable. Thats what I do for my kids and daycare kids and it is something that I feel they are capable of.
I hate to hijack a thread but if children under four should not be doing any structured activities, how do you help them behave appropriately in public at all? Where can you go but at home (if thats what you allow at home)? I'd rather help teach my girls and be able to go out and about than stay at home all the time because they don't know what to do in a structured environment. I guess thats just me.
I totally agree with both of you Mamas, but the key here IMO is "what we're working toward"... It took a LONG time for my first son to get there- longer than the average child. It shouldn't be that the OP's DS should start to "behave and listen" now because he's 3- if he's truly not socially mature enough to be able to handle this, then go slow and give him a little more time. He'll get there! Some kids (especially some boys) take more time, consistency, patience, etc... to get there.
Mama to Jonah 10-17-05 , Elijah 7-11-07 Sam Isaac 4-2-09 , and Eliza Jane , wife to Kevin
Swagbucks Come, be my friend and earn $$
chameleon607 is offline   Reply With Quote