Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-07-2010, 11:35 PM   #1
MamaWillow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I guess I don't get it...

Everyone is freaking out about the belly button perv. I get that, totally weird. I guess I don't understand why there is a need to get rid of ANY info about your kids, like their names, or a pic of their face. Why does it matter if anyone knows your kid's name? How on earth can they do harm that way? I'm not trying to be snarky, I just really don't get it.

Advertisement

Rachel, SAHM to a 9yo teenager , a 4yo charmer , and a toddling koala bear , and wife to my hard-working hubs. Mostly AP, co-sleeping (with all 3!), BFing, quite crunchy, thrifty, curly-haired mama. Loving my life.
MamaWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:44 PM   #2
smashncakes
Registered Users
Formerly: bren***this
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: I guess I don't get it...

If you have your kids full name listed and aren't careful with info, it could get as extreme as somebody stealing your child's identity. Most of the mommas on here are deleting stuff because somebody pointed out in one of the threads about the whole "belly button perv" that if you google your username or even your kids name, then go to images (off to the left on the google search screen there's a pulldown menu that says everything, more, click on more then images) it was pulling up member's avatar pictures and even some of the pics they'd put in posts before....nothing is coming up with my new username, but if I search my old username I can see my avatar and some pics I used in posts for toy organization. A lot of people don't have their pics right-click protected, so random people can copy & paste the pics then have them on their computer for personal use...mentioning the kids names can make it possible to search for pics of them more easily if the pics are titled or tagged with their name.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:53 PM   #3
smashncakes
Registered Users
Formerly: bren***this
seller
seller

My Mood:

And not trying to be creepy but to prove a point, an example:
a pic of a diaper from one of your FSOT posts

and when I search MamaWillow diaperswappers on google, I can see your avatar and a few images of your little one wearing green longies/pants, plus some just in a diaper...you can click on the pics and it takes you to the post where the pics were in...

Last edited by smashncakes; 09-07-2010 at 11:54 PM.
smashncakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:57 PM   #4
MamaWillow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

okay, yeah I guess that's kind of creepy....
Rachel, SAHM to a 9yo teenager , a 4yo charmer , and a toddling koala bear , and wife to my hard-working hubs. Mostly AP, co-sleeping (with all 3!), BFing, quite crunchy, thrifty, curly-haired mama. Loving my life.
MamaWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:04 AM   #5
momofcutebutts
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashncakes View Post
If you have your kids full name listed and aren't careful with info, it could get as extreme as somebody stealing your child's identity. Most of the mommas on here are deleting stuff because somebody pointed out in one of the threads about the whole "belly button perv" that if you google your username or even your kids name, then go to images (off to the left on the google search screen there's a pulldown menu that says everything, more, click on more then images) it was pulling up member's avatar pictures and even some of the pics they'd put in posts before....nothing is coming up with my new username, but if I search my old username I can see my avatar and some pics I used in posts for toy organization. A lot of people don't have their pics right-click protected, so random people can copy & paste the pics then have them on their computer for personal use...mentioning the kids names can make it possible to search for pics of them more easily if the pics are titled or tagged with their name.
Scary! Thank you so much for the info!
momofcutebutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:06 AM   #6
amphibology29
Registered Users
seller

I'm kind of with you, OP. I deleted my pictures from the original thread because it was just weird, but honestly... Even if you do nothing but upload your pictures to a store's online photo department and have them printed at your local branch, they are out there and "vulnerable." Right click protecting does nothing to stop people from taking screen shots. Accounts can be hacked. Friends can unwittingly or uncaringly share your pictures and information.

There is nothing private on the internet. I know that and I still choose to put my kids' pictures online. I have had my pregnancy photos and newborn photos of my DS "stolen" and passed off as someone else's before and you know what? I didn't feel angry or violated or anything but pity for the person who felt the need to do it. What happens on the internet isn't a big concern for me. If it comes off the internet and into my personal life, that's a different story. And if some perv somewhere sees a perfectly innocent picture of my child and gets sick pleasure from it... well, as terrible as that is, it doesn't affect my child or me and I'm not going to stop sharing innocent pictures with family and friends because of it.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:14 AM   #7
myfrugalfunlife
Banned- member requested
seller

I missed what happened but sounds like we should not have our kids names in our siggys? But I have pictures and names on my blog-maybe I should delete all of that
If you delete information does it disappear online or is it saved somehow?
myfrugalfunlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:03 AM   #8
TanajaPerry
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashncakes View Post
it doesn't matter if you have the photos right click protected or not. you can still save the photo. pervs can do screen shots or highlight the whole page and ctrl v it and voila.. a copy!

new blog. come visit me!
http://mainlybraids.blogspot.com
TanajaPerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:01 AM   #9
GEM Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: michellemomx3
seller

My Mood:

I do not put my children's names on the Internet nor any photos that show their full face and this is basically why — there are perverts who like to do bad things to children and it is very easy to find out who people are and where they live, and I realize that I cannot protect my children from everything but I don't want perverts getting that information from me. It is probably a far-fetched scenario but what if a person had my child's name and knew what they looked like and where they lived and just came and got them? Again not saying that it would be impossible for that to happen just from me not putting their name and photo on the Internet, but they are gonna have to work a little harder than that. I am not freaked out about someone getting sick pleasure from a photo of my child, as terrible as that is. I'm freaked out about someone getting sick pleasure from my child and a couple clicks on the Internet being all it takes to get their name, face, and location. I may be totally paranoid about this and it all might not make much sense but that's the way I see it.
GEM Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:45 AM   #10
*Peanut*
Registered Users
seller
seller

Last edited by *Peanut*; 09-08-2010 at 11:23 PM.
*Peanut* is offline   Reply With Quote