Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-08-2010, 12:55 PM   #101
BottomOfMyHearts
Registered Users
Formerly: NewFoundFaith
seller

My Mood:
Re: Asked not to nurse my son at church b/c...

Funny enough... I tried out a new church in my area that told me I couldn't go into the worship hall because I have a BABY with me. (She was 3 months at the time.) That I had to "attend" church in another room and watch the pastor over the TV in there.

I told the lady that "I can watch service from home. I don't have to come here and sit in a closed off little room to do that."

I stayed that service...in that tiny room...but never returned.

SO that being said, I completely understand where you are coming from.
I would write that pastor back and let her know that you can't comply with her request.

Advertisement

New Contest coming Soon!Please visit my Facebook store! <--Click
BottomOfMyHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:58 PM   #102
Bethan_77
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I should also say that I am a very conservative catholic, and the majority of conservative catholic women I know practice extended bf, do not use covers, nurse modestly, and never, ever hesitate to nurse in church, even their toddlers.

Also wanted to add that my dh says that there are BREASTS...then there's women just feeding their babies. Totally different, in his opinion.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:03 PM   #103
Mermother
Registered Users
seller

To the OP. I've been there and it's no fun. Is it an option for you to have a meeting with your pastor?

When I was asked not to BF in church, DH and I met the pastor to work things out. It turned out that one of the ushers saw me BF and was worried I would offend someone. I explained that a cover was not a viable option for us. I'm legally allowed to BF in public places. BF is used throughout the bible. I was a very discreet nurser, I wasn't drawing attention to myself. I even sat towards the back of the sanctuary.

In the end our "agreement" was that I wouldn't dance topless across the altar.
Mermother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:03 PM   #104
RJmomof4
Registered Users
Formerly: RJmomof2
seller

My Mood:

what a creep that guy is. If he gets turned on by that he needs to leave or sit in the front so he cant see what anybody else is doing. I would so do a nurse in with your frriends Id be there if it was local. good luck.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:04 PM   #105
BuggaBuggaBoutique
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethan_77 View Post
I should also say that I am a very conservative catholic, and the majority of conservative catholic women I know practice extended bf, do not use covers, nurse modestly, and never, ever hesitate to nurse in church, even their toddlers.

Also wanted to add that my dh says that there are BREASTS...then there's women just feeding their babies. Totally different, in his opinion.
I am also catholic, roman catholic and pretty darn conservative about most things.

My DH agrees with yours!

Momma to 4 girls and one boy! Smoke Free, Pet Friendly Home!
BuggaBuggaBoutique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:06 PM   #106
mommajewels
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Dh, a very honest man, says breasts are sexual only when they are being used during sex... as are many other parts of the body.. depending on your preference. When they are being used to feed a baby, they are far from sexual.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:06 PM   #107
Clare378
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermother View Post
In the end our "agreement" was that I wouldn't dance topless across the altar.

I was going to say earlier, I can understand not nursing while you're delivering the homily or serving the host.
Clare378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:09 PM   #108
sugar_booger
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedishmaiden View Post
I'm a Christian and attend a fairly conservative church, but I have never had issues with breastfeeding in church. There are several other nursing moms who also nurse in church, some with a cover and some without. I think I would probably kindly refuse. I would try to be discreet and not reveal myself very much, which it sounds like you are already doing, but a mother should be able to feed her baby in God's house. He's the one who created breasts for nursing! A man who is "turned on" by that small amount of exposure has issues. What is he going to say about all the cleavage he sees? I'm sure not all female church members are wearing high-collared shirts. His problem should not become yours. And honestly, he probably was just feeling awkward because people aren't used to seeing someone breastfeed. That's why it is IMPORTANT to me that I nurse in public. I want to promote breastfeeding as a natural, healthy thing. People shouldn't have to feel embarrassed about it.

And I think it was tacky for her to ask you to use your BF'ing group to promote your church and at the same time make a request that you nurse elsewhere.

we have a nursing mother's room at out church, but we aren't required to use it... it's for us if we so choose. I have both sat in the service to nurse and used the private room.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:11 PM   #109
Jewelgurl137
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would be upset too. Personally I don't nurse in the sanctuary during church, but for my own reasons. There is a cry room though that is in the back of the sanctuary with speakers in it so I can hear and see everything from a comfy rocking chair. LOL! Personally I prefer this to my DS playing and talking to my breast in church. (Yes..he thinks it is funny now to pause and talk while nursing which leaves me completely open to the world. ) I use to nurse my older son during church in the sanctuary though.

I'd just tell the minister that you'll see what you can do, and then don't change anything. If she has a problem then she can bring it up again, but I doubt she ever would.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:16 PM   #110
booty hunter
Queen of Funny Auotcorrects
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think it is BALONEY and there IS NO MAN AT ALL. I am Catholic and have had no issues ever with bf in church ,all the priests have been great and very supportive.Most of them came from big families and have seen their moms nurse,so it's not an issue. But I have know several other pastors (male and female) and I don't think for a second if they got an email saying someone was struggling with something that is a normal part of life they would handle it this way. This man would need coping skills because this won't be the last time he has to deal with this even if you never go back. It just dosen't add up I think she chose to say that there was a problem like this ,so you would feel ashamed and agree so as not to cause struggle for your fellow parishioner. Also why would she be encouraging you to invite others who would cause further struggle for him? BOGUS!!