Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-12-2010, 11:42 AM   #351
joyful mother
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Asked not to nurse my son at church b/c...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleDaffodil View Post
Just wanted to say i talked to my husband about this morning and just went on facebook and saw his status update was "Dear Christian men, if you think women breastfeeding modestly makes you 'stumble', perhaps you should get counseling for overly sexualising/objectifying women."
My husband says
and so do I!!!

Advertisement

Old 09-12-2010, 12:07 PM   #352
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

I nurse in church, in the narthax or the baby room. Whichever I feel like at the time. I usually only leave the sanctuary if he is being really fussy/needs a diaper change. Most of the time, we just latch sitting there. FTR, I nursed my DS4 up til he was 2 1/2 in church....we started going when he was almost 2 and no one said boo. I don't think anyone noticed. They would walk by and tossle his curls, i don't think they could tell I was nursing! And I am big boobied and never use a cover Oh and I go to an Assembly of God church with lots of tradition and people of all ages.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:08 PM   #353
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Just wanted to say i talked to my husband about this morning and just went on facebook and saw his status update was "Dear Christian men, if you think women breastfeeding modestly makes you 'stumble', perhaps you should get counseling for overly sexualising/objectifying women."
Oh my I think I'm in love!

This is AWESOME!!!
Old 09-12-2010, 12:11 PM   #354
jesshb
Registered Users
seller

How did church go today OP? Thinking of you.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:08 PM   #355
joyful mother
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katty Mac View Post
I know I may be burned alive for this but I agree with your pastor . I am very pro breatfeeding and nurse in church all the time but I am very conscious to make sure I am covered very well. It is hard for women to understand because we are not built this way but men are VERY visual and it only takes the slightest thing to cause them to lust. Yes, it is their responsibilty to control their thoughts but not all men who are in church have that control yet. I know that breastfeeding is not sexual and it would be great if men weren't aroused by a small glimpse of a women's breast but they are and I think it is important as christian women to do what we can to help them not to stumble. I understand that it can be difficult to nurse with a cover but in this situation I would make an attempt and if it's not possible I would go somewhere proivate to nurse.
I agree we should help them not stumble. And I believe the normalization of it is part of that. We as women need to help them by not continuing to act like it is a dirty sexual thing that needs to be hidden.

By the way my almost 12 yr old boy thinks this is ridiculous as he doesn't see anything when I nurse most of the time and I am way more careful in public. When NIP I am not typing on DS and can maneuver my shirt if she pops off.

Another thought she is not without cover her midsection is covered by fabric and her breast is covered by fabric and baby, no skin is showing, it's just baby that is not covered, so it is actually the baby suckling that is sexually turning someone on

And yes OP how did church go?

Last edited by joyful mother; 09-12-2010 at 02:20 PM.
joyful mother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:22 PM   #356
hlaverdiere
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

In my state, it is illegal to ask a woman to nurse somewhere else. I actually copied/pasted the Ohio revised code stating that I had the right to nurse into a Word document in the size of little cards which I've cut out. I keep one in my wallet to hand to someone "just in case".
hlaverdiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:53 PM   #357
patooty
Registered Users
seller

at my old church i was disciplined in front of single men for nursing past a year.
I was tired one Sunday from a marathon nurse in the night. there is no reason to nurse past a year and it is impacting the congregation by making me tired was there reasoning. I had a lot to say back and shut them down quick.

Homeschooling, Above Rubies reading, :bf support, semi- crunchy, selective- vaxing, family bed, home birthing, AP mama to 5 princesses, 1 intact prince and some gone before us. Recovered addict to I live here : I water birthed unassisted by choice to birthday triplets
patooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:12 PM   #358
Shikoba
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clare378 View Post
Here's what you do:
1. Open Google
2. Type the words "Mary Jesus breastfeeding"
3. Click Search
4. At the top left, click "images"
5. Save a few to your computer
6. Email a few of the pictures to your pastor and ask which one would be appropriate

P.S. If you find one in which Mary's wearing a hooter-hider, please let me know.
I love this!!
Shikoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 06:44 AM   #359
Kanzan
Registered Users
Formerly: col****mama
seller

My Mood:

It seems so odd that a woman is partially to blame for causing a man to "stumble" by doing something natural and so discreet.
Out of curiosity how often are women's "stumblings" attributed to men's unintentional actions? Or intensional for that matter!
Kanzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:13 AM   #360
TeachinAuntie
Registered Users
Formerly: sgoe***
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyful mother View Post
My husband says
and so do I!!!
Your husband is AWESOME! Just wanted to let you know that!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyful mother View Post
I agree we should help them not stumble. And I believe the normalization of it is part of that. We as women need to help them by not continuing to act like it is a dirty sexual thing that needs to be hidden.

By the way my almost 12 yr old boy thinks this is ridiculous as he doesn't see anything when I nurse most of the time and I am way more careful in public. When NIP I am not typing on DS and can maneuver my shirt if she pops off.

Another thought she is not without cover her midsection is covered by fabric and her breast is covered by fabric and baby, no skin is showing, it's just baby that is not covered, so it is actually the baby suckling that is sexually turning someone on

And yes OP how did church go?
I totally agree and am sitting here going uh-huh (nods head) to the bolded.

I told my pastor the same thing. Leaving the room is just a bad example on so many levels.

(teaching young girls that nursing is abnormal/shameful, teaching boys that breasts are taboo, teaching men that it is the woman's responsibility for him to keep his thoughts pure....)

I told her that I'd attempt to be more discreet and I am trying to create some kind of cover that would go under my shirt, over my breast, but not over DS that would ensure that no breast shows. But that I am not willing to leave the sanctuary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanzan View Post
It seems so odd that a woman is partially to blame for causing a man to "stumble" by doing something natural and so discreet.
Out of curiosity how often are women's "stumblings" attributed to men's unintentional actions? Or intensional for that matter!
For real, like a PP poster said there are lots of things that turn women on, but generally we are able to keep ourselves together! (esp in a church environment!)

TeachinAuntie is offline   Reply With Quote