Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-08-2010, 11:24 AM   #1
melissamomof3girls
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I need support for the difficult baby!!!

First off, I know I am blessed to have him and that he is healthy. I just need some encouragement and ideas how to deal with his needs. He has been a lot of work.

He's a grumpy baby a lot of the time. He wakes up every 1 to 1.5 hours each night with gas and to eat. He is very hard to even get to sleep. Nothing has ever worked twice.

We have tried the chiropractor (who he sees regularly), gripe water, tummy soother, and gas drops. None to any avail.

Any other ideas? He is 4 1/2 months old and gaining weight well.

I homeschool and between the lack of sleep and his excessive crying/grumpiness I can barely function enough to do regular household duties, let alone anything extra and schoolwork.

Advertisement

Old 09-08-2010, 11:26 AM   #2
todzwife
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: I need support for the difficult baby!!!

I'm so sorry mama. My second child was like this and I nearly lost my mind (literally!) We used to have to take her for a drive at 2 in the morning just to get her to go back to sleep. It was AWFUL! It turned out that she has celiac disease and wasn't tolerating gluten in my diet. Could your little one possibly be sensitive to something you are eating?
todzwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:42 AM   #3
LadybugMonkey
Registered Users
Formerly: Confused mum
seller
seller

My Mood:

Similar to pp DS had issues if I had too much dairy in my diet. It caused him to get really bad gas. The lactation consultant I worked with told me that it takes about a week to notice a difference in the child once you change your diet.

They had suggested got me taking out milk, eggs, and gluten from my diet for about a week to see if it starts to make a difference. If it does then keep it up for another week. Then start adding back one group for a week, then another until you can narrow down which one causes the issues.

If you are formula feeding maybe try switch to either a low iron or a soy based formula.

Good luck, I know its tough.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:50 AM   #4
MrsJordan85
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ds & DD both didn't tolerate dairy in my diet- an not just milk. I had to (and am currently) cut out milk, cheese, butter, and ANYTHING with dairy in it. I have to read labels and check ingredients online before we go out to eat at restaurants(which we don't do often since it's a PAIN). DD also gets awful gas pains from broccoli, caffeine, and a lot of beans/other gas producing veggies. The ped tried to diagnose both of my kiddos with colic. I did some research and altered my diet and it fixed things with both of my babes. It stinks, but it's a good weight loss plan! Hang in there mama, and remember that these stages won't last forever. I know it's so hard.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:44 PM   #5
doodah
Registered Users
seller

are you BFing? I did the elimination diet with my younger and we did a variety of things to combat reflux. She had it bad and would cry hours and hours every day and into the night. It was so awful and heartbreaking. She is still very sensitive to a variety of foods and medications so it is an ongoing battle.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:39 PM   #6
melissamomof3girls
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thank you. Yes I am exclusively breastfeeding him. I really didn't want to have to go the elimination diet route as I already struggle with eating enough and getting enough iron.

I was talking to a LC today and we agreed I should try probiotics first. He doesn't show any other symptoms of a food intolerance (such as in his stool or having any rashes) other than the gas and fussiness.

But, if someone doesn't mind, could you give me a link or a quick rundown of foods to try avoiding?
Old 09-08-2010, 01:44 PM   #7
todzwife
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

For us it's dairy, gluten, tomato, chocolate, soda, basically anything that could give ME heartburn I avoid.
todzwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:59 PM   #8
clb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

how is your supply? Do you leak a lot or feel like your breasts get heavy during nursing sessions? Oversupply and/or foremilk/hindmilk imbalance can lead to a fussy and gassy baby. If you don't already, I would only nurse from one side per feeding. When it come the time you would normally switch sides, just switch positions (football to cradle for example) to ensure he's getting a good amount of hindmilk.
C- Proud mama to M (4/08). Loving wife to J. Excited about welcoming baby #2 into our APing, BWing, Non-Circing, Selective Vaxing, happy, hippy family in 03/11
clb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 02:08 PM   #9
melissamomof3girls
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My supply is good. He is gaining well...between 6-9 oz a week.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:36 PM   #10
Kendalls.Mommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Okay so I wish I could offer more words of wisdom, but misery likes company sooo...my DD is 9 months old and doing better. But, she NEVER liked the car, carseat, stroller, bouncer, swing, her back, sleeping on her back (sleeping in general), white noise, etc...basically anything a baby is suppose to liked she hated. She was VERY high needs and still is but now has learned to entertain herself somewhat. The only thing that ever worked was to bundle her in a soft blanket and walk...and walk...and walk all over the house until she was asleep.

Good luck mama, I feel for you, you aren't the only one with a difficult baby

TTC #2 finally.
Kendalls.Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote