Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-08-2010, 03:08 PM   #1
greenMamaOwl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
bumGenius! AIO: X-Small vs. Small size for Newborn?

Hey Mamas!

I'm trying to start building up my newborn stash (since we didn't CD DS when he was first born.) I am debating on whether to order baby #2 a few bumGenius! AIO's in addition to the prefolds and covers that I just ordered.

I was going to get about 2 or 3 BG 3.0 AIO's since they're on sale now, but I am stumped on whether to order x-small or small? DS was 7 lbs. 2.5 oz when he was born & is also very tall for his age (my DH is 6'1"), but I know that does not mean that baby #2 will have the same stats.

I see that x-small has a weight range of 6-12 lbs., and small has a weight range of 8-16 lbs.

Any thoughts on if I should order the x-small or skip them and just order size small?

Advertisement

greenMamaOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 03:14 PM   #2
Amock777
Registered Users
seller

Re: bumGenius! AIO: X-Small vs. Small size for Newborn?

I have heard XS is better for there skinny legs. I ordered both during the seconds sale for our DS due in Feb. Expecting them in the mail today. Cant wait to see them!
Old 09-08-2010, 03:14 PM   #3
buggalove
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have no experience (yet!), but I bought a few of the X-small for my newborn stash. From what I've been reading, the X-small are great for the newborns but they fit in the smalls within a month or two. My babies have both been 8lbs 4-5 oz at birth, I expect this 3rd one will be about the same...
buggalove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 03:57 PM   #4
ho11yb
Registered Users
seller

I had some of both. By 6 weeks (about 10 pounds) ds no longer fit in the xs, but he fit into the smalls by about 2-3 weeks (it took that long to get back up to birth weight of almost 9 pounds --though obviously the xs were trimmer). The rise on the smalls is quite a bit higher so I wouldn't have used it til after the cord fell off.

If you're planning to cd from birth, the xs are really nice to have, but you end up using them for such a short time if you have a bigger baby, I *almost* wish i'd just skipped them.
ho11yb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:15 PM   #5
BuggaBuggaBoutique
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

i bought 3 for new DD...I'm wondering now if i should have bothered, my kids were 7lb7oz (37 weeks), 9lb 8oz (41.5 weeks) and 8lb 6oz (38 weeks)

Momma to 4 girls and one boy! Smoke Free, Pet Friendly Home!
BuggaBuggaBoutique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:24 PM   #6
fallaway
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Ugh I am really wondering about this. I don't want to overbuy for NB stage, but OS won't fit well, pretty much guaranteed... and there's kind of no point in only having a few on hand, since NBs wet so much. And I'm just not feeling the love for flats and PFs. So I kinda have to have a lot on hand and hope that there are enough that work well enough to get us to OS fit. And I keep hearing mixed answers on whether BG XS can go under the cord or not. So I'm hedging my bets on that too!

Thanks for the feedback all, I'll be stalking this thread for any other replies.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:26 PM   #7
AmandaR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We're expecting a big baby and still got the XSs.
Find Me On Facebook and Twitter
AmandaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:45 PM   #8
Bellamoon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just got my x-small seconds in the mail yesterday and the leg holes look good for a newbie. i think the small leg holes would be too gappy (?)
Old 09-08-2010, 05:12 PM   #9
mason825
Registered Users
seller

We are doing the same thing-getting some NB ones until the OS will fit correctly. Here is what we did-we got 12 XS BG AIO, 8 lil Joey's, 3-4 smalls (don't remember exactly) BG AIO, and 12 small bumkins. We also have a few RAR's, and those get super, super small, as do the FB OS
Old 09-08-2010, 06:20 PM   #10
greenMamaOwl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For those of you who mentioned that smalls would be too big for a newborn's skinny legs...that makes a lot of sense! I am going to order maybe just 3 x-smalls (we could use these mostly for outings and mainly use prefolds at home.) That seems like it would work for us!

Thanks so much for all of your replies, Mamas! You were all very helpful. I appreciate it!

Last edited by greenMamaOwl; 09-08-2010 at 06:27 PM.
greenMamaOwl is offline   Reply With Quote