Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-08-2010, 07:47 PM   #11
MCR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: WOW my son's school doesn't mess around with bullies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrahsmommy View Post
a 10 year old that commits assault and battery is no less of a criminal because they are 10- and most bullys will end up committing assault and battery if they are not detered early. just sayin'.
Agreed, nip it in the bud and stop them before they get any worse.

Advertisement

Old 09-08-2010, 09:21 PM   #12
Angel89411
Banned

This was done in my HS. Never to me. I was not that doofy. But unless it was a violent crime or property was destroyed, they just took 'em down the road to be held until the parents came to get them. Suspension was also to follow. But they handcuffed 'em and everything.
Angel89411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:41 PM   #13
delphinium
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I taught at a school where we had a student or two who were so aggressive the police had to be called on occasion. This was an elementary school. We had the behavior disorder program in our school plus a few kids who should have been in it but were in regular classrooms. That is not bullying, but assault or somesuch that they get called for. The police won't respond for regular bullying. These kids were called for property destruction, assault, etc.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:47 PM   #14
photomikey
Since there is reason to suspect that this user and CDMama12 are the same person and they have failed to repsond to pm's asking for clarification, both accounts are being banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrahsmommy View Post
a 10 year old that commits assault and battery is no less of a criminal because they are 10- and most bullys will end up committing assault and battery if they are not detered early. just sayin'.
In a thread last week one poster here said she didn't want to call the police on a 9 y/o who was chasing another child around with a knife. If it's even possible for me to be more likely to call the cops on a kid than an adult, I would - but it wouldn't really be possible - either way it would be 911 immediately.

But I agree with you that I'd much rather they rough up the bullying 10 year-old kid than wait until he's 19 and then start. At 10 they have the chance to remove him from the home and teach him something, at 19 we're just destined to pay for his lifestyle for the rest of our lives.
photomikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:51 PM   #15
Dolphin_Medic
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'd be interested in seeing more details on what constitutes as bullying enough to call the police. I am glad to see schools cracking down on bullying, but does one kid calling another a "four eyed dummy" warrant the police? They're still being a bully.

Now obviously cases where there's physical violence or extreme menacing or a long history it's a totally different story and I'm all for early intervention. I agree that if a higher authority intervenes at an earlier age a lot of violent criminals could have been turned around sooner.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:28 PM   #16
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:

physical violence, threats I can see.

Verbal, nope unless the officer was coming in to talk to the entire school at an assembly.

stealing, it depends.

Quote:
But I agree with you that I'd much rather they rough up the bullying 10 year-old kid than wait until he's 19 and then start. At 10 they have the chance to remove him from the home and teach him something,
uh, they're not going to "rough up" a 10yo for bullying. If he's being violent they may handcuff & carryout. In extreme cases, possibly taser to get the child under control & handcuffed.

They're not going to remove a child from the home for bullying at school, except in very extreme cases of documented proof of something gonig on at home.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:06 AM   #17
FeatherBrained
Registered Users

My Mood:

around here there are 2 officers that all school calls get assigned to....sadly the faculty tends to punish the victim and think the ones being bullied will bring guns to school...so instead of stopping the bullying they watch the less popular kids and jump on them instead....it's sickening and I have little doubt that there will be a mass homicide here if something doesn't change
FeatherBrained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 01:49 AM   #18
crazylife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wish they took it more seriously here! All the schools tout their "We're Anti-Bullying" spiel but when my niece was repeatedly threatened physically and online (death threats) by a habitual bully, the school just downplayed it and made her and her parents feel like idiots for "making a molehill into a mountain...c'mon folks, school's almost over for the year, it's just a misunderstanding blah blah blah" She had stomach ulcers from the stress and was too scared to go to school! But hey...who wants to suspend someone when there's only one month left of school...c'mon now folks!! grrr.
crazylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:22 AM   #19
thaisa47
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Most schools have a police officer assigned to them, and I even taught in one school where he had his own office. He was the School Resource Officer, and was in the building at least 1-2 times a week. Not necessarily all day, but was a face among the students and did deal with behavior issues 'above and beyond.' Extreme bullying needs to be dealt with, and I think having the police involved gives it validity with parents who think that their child isn't doing it, or involved.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:29 AM   #20
Angel89411
Banned

Bullying in my school got bad. People were usually bruised/hurt. Property was damaged/destroyed. One girl shoved another girl because of where she was standing (it was girl 1's spot and everyone knew it! ) they got in a fight and someone's head got rammed through the teacher's break room window. What a way to have lunch, huh?
Angel89411 is offline   Reply With Quote