Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-08-2010, 08:02 PM   #11
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Can we just stop vaccinations on DD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah52 View Post
Um, smallpox hasn't been a routine vaccination since 1972 when the disease was eradicated from the US. If you are exposed you have to go in and have the vaccine administered then.
lol yeah my DH got it in boot camp and said it was insanely painful. He has a big scar on his arm from it.

Advertisement

Old 09-08-2010, 08:16 PM   #12
Leah52
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilaryisinked View Post
lol yeah my DH got it in boot camp and said it was insanely painful. He has a big scar on his arm from it.
Yeah, it's gross. lol It's not even a shot, they just poke you a few times and let the vaccine get into your skin. Then you develop a lesion, basically one smallpox bump, that takes weeks to heal. I'm glad it's not around anymore! (and by "it" I mean the disease as well as the routine vaccine)
Old 09-08-2010, 08:47 PM   #13
logansmomma07
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon658 View Post
Of course you can stop giving vaccines. I guess your husband is right that she doesn't "need" them now, but what happens when an unvaxed student in her class at school, or the pediatrician's office, or the airplane comes back from a trip to family trip to Africa with smallpox?

DH had to get it before his first deployment. I don't think they give them unless they are deploying now? Not sure. A friend of my dad's got his right before a deployment, and ended up having seizures on the way over. He had to stop and stay in an ICU. He still has brain damage. Oh, wait, maybe that was anthrax? One of the two, sorry

To the OP, I stopped getting vaccinations for my first son after 6 months. he's had only a couple since then, the ones I thought at the time were most important, which my second son had three I think over his whole first year, and none since. Won't be doing any at all from now on
However, there are some that are series vaccinations, and your dd won't have the full effectiveness of those certain vaccines unless she completes the series. I *think* you can just pick up where you left off later, if you wanted to.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:54 PM   #14
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

You can stop any time you want. Then if you wanted to start years down the road you could. Some vaxes require far fewer doses in a series if started later in life so you would want to look into that if you chose to do them later and titers can be done to see if she is immune before administering any in the future.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:37 PM   #15
shannon658
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah52 View Post
Um, smallpox hasn't been a routine vaccination since 1972 when the disease was eradicated from the US. If you are exposed you have to go in and have the vaccine administered then.
Replace it with measles or polio, then.
shannon658 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:50 PM   #16
photomikey
Since there is reason to suspect that this user and CDMama12 are the same person and they have failed to repsond to pm's asking for clarification, both accounts are being banned.

Quote:
DD is due for her 6 month shots tomorrow. She was supposed to get them Monday but I put them off because she had a fever from teething. Then I just didn't go in today. So I should take her in tomorrow for them. DH says to just not take her and that she doesn't need them. I'm torn. Can we just stop giving her vaccinations when she's gotten them all on time so far?
I'm sure you know, but I just wanted to point out that your two choices are not "do it tomorrow" or "never vaccinate again". If you're concerned about the fever, why not 1) share this concern with your Doc, and see his/her reaction, and/or 2) re-sked for a few weeks from now when those toofers have popped through and baby is happy again?
photomikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:59 PM   #17
delphinium
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Ha, I could say the same thing about chicken pox, except I did not get it in bootcamp. Painful and scar on arm! (from disease, I mean, not shot)
Old 09-08-2010, 10:08 PM   #18
klilley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

yup, you can stop them altogether! my pediatician said the only reason why you keep going back to get the same shot is "just in case" the first shot didn't give immunity... which proves that the vaccines are not 100% effective, even the CDC flyers say they are not 100%.
wife to my lover and best friend; City girl, in the closet semi-crunchy, First time mama to our PRECIOUS homebirthed baby girl born 03/10. EDD 10/28/11 We babywear, co-sleep, , EC'ng, ...!! Breastmilk Donor

My ISO http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1232959
klilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:17 PM   #19
mommajewels
Registered Users
seller
seller

You can absolutetly just abruptly stop, no harm at all. My LO1 is fully vaccinated with the exception of the pox vacc. LO2 was vaccinated up until it was time for him to get his 1 yr shots. (MMR & all that junk.) My LO3 got his two month shots & no more since. LO4 and LO5 have had absolutely no vaccinations. We get occassional "vaccine reminders" from our local health department.. but come to think of it, I don't think we've gotten any in a long while.

And if you decide at a later time you want to vaccinate, you can.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:34 PM   #20
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon658 View Post
Replace it with measles or polio, then.
Then she might get measles. Assuming that child actually got it, and then she also got it. Just because you are exposed to something doesn't mean you are going to get it. Last week my nephew (who is vaccinated, not that it really matters in this case) got a stomach bug,just your general stomach virus, you know the type. He gave it to my oldest son who then gave it to me. Now out of the three of us I was the sickest. The two boys threw up a handful of times over the course of about 24 hours. They felt fine other than when they were throwing up. Kearnan actually chowed down on chicken nuggets right after vomiting without even telling me he had just been sick in the bathroom. (I will never understand kids). I was totally dead to the world for two days and had to take anti nausea meds. I also ran a fever, the boys didn't. Dh and Tharen were also thoroughly exposed, both to my nephew, Kearnan, and of course me. They would have been exposed for over a week as the whole process drug on with first my nephew getting sick, then it incubating in Kearnan, him getting sick, then it incubating in me ect. They just didn't get it. Am I making my point here? Exposure to any virus does not automatically equal illness and for many people exposure may lead to an immune response and future immunity without any symptoms. Also you may want to research the diseases and how bad they are before freaking out about them.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote