Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-09-2010, 07:43 AM   #21
MW69842
Banned/ Member requested
formerly equivocal
seller

My Mood:
Re: Can we just stop vaccinations on DD?

You can stop at any time.

My DD's pediatrician always give me thorough paperwork about each vaccination before I consent to giving it to her. We discuss the benefits vs. choosing not to vaccinate.

I've selectively vaccinated her on a slightly different schedule than the norm and have skipped certain vaccines altogether, because their benefit(s) did not outweigh the risks, IMO.

I do still believe that you should do well-baby visits, however.

Advertisement

MW69842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:08 AM   #22
Colleeny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Actually, most measles outbreaks are from kids that are vaccinated. And wild polio is VERY rare (found in third world countries where they poo on the ground...it is passed this way into water, from poo),and unfortunately, most cases are found to be caused from the OPV itself (the USA no longer does this vax, but we have graciously given it the Africans to kill them off, instead. So, that vaccine caused more trouble that it was worth. Paralytic polio is so rare...and what we call meningitus today, is actually something similar...so if you ask me...it does nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon658 View Post
Replace it with measles or polio, then.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:09 AM   #23
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by photomikey View Post
I'm sure you know, but I just wanted to point out that your two choices are not "do it tomorrow" or "never vaccinate again". If you're concerned about the fever, why not 1) share this concern with your Doc, and see his/her reaction, and/or 2) re-sked for a few weeks from now when those toofers have popped through and baby is happy again?
I know that. My doctor is ridiculous and extremely rude and was pushing me to give her the shots at her well baby check even with the fever. Thankfully I forgot her shot record sheet and they wouldn't vaccinate without it. We can't reschedule in a few weeks because we are moving in a week back home while my DH deploys. DD doesn't have a doctor there yet. The reason there are 2 options is because my DH doesn't want to vaccinate anymore and I do. I told him I'll delay until her 9 month well baby and then I'll see if I want to pick them back up.

Thanks everyone. I just didn't know if you could just stop a series in the middle and pick back up later if you want to or what. You all really helped! We are delaying for now.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:19 AM   #24
isaacsmum
Registered Users

You can stop any series and pick it up again later if you want to. The vaccine still "counts". The CDC actually has vaccine schedule info for those who are behind on vaccines, and you can use that as a guide if you decide to start again later:
http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/recs/sch...chedule-pr.pdf

While there are minimum time limits between doses in a vaccine series, there aren't any set maximum times between shots as far as I know.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:26 AM   #25
Delaney
Registered Users
seller

Pertussis on the rise at alarming rates so I would not pick now to skip it. The only reason we have been able to cut diseases out of existence has been to vaccinate against them. For me I need to know that I have done what I can to prevent a horrid and very much preventable disease. I do, however, understand the arguments against vacing but I personally don't agree.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:37 AM   #26
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah52 View Post
Um, smallpox hasn't been a routine vaccination since 1972 when the disease was eradicated from the US. If you are exposed you have to go in and have the vaccine administered then.
Yeah that. Not to mention, scare tactics don't fly with most established mamas here.
You probably wouldn't like it if the tables were turned and I just posted, "Well you can go ahead, but then she could get X, Y, Z then come down with this syndrome or that condition because of the vax." There are pros and cons both sides, and it's a big decision for every parent, not one that should be made due to scare tactics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilaryisinked View Post
I know that. My doctor is ridiculous and extremely rude and was pushing me to give her the shots at her well baby check even with the fever. Thankfully I forgot her shot record sheet and they wouldn't vaccinate without it. We can't reschedule in a few weeks because we are moving in a week back home while my DH deploys. DD doesn't have a doctor there yet. The reason there are 2 options is because my DH doesn't want to vaccinate anymore and I do. I told him I'll delay until her 9 month well baby and then I'll see if I want to pick them back up.

Thanks everyone. I just didn't know if you could just stop a series in the middle and pick back up later if you want to or what. You all really helped! We are delaying for now.
Sounds like you're thinking them over. IMO, if you have any doubts or haven't studied them enough to make yourself comfortable with either decision, then it's great that you are holding off. If you wait on a vax, then decide to proceed, that is fine. If you go ahead and then decide not to vax, you can't go back and undo it. You can't unring a bell.

Last edited by Dory; 09-09-2010 at 10:45 AM.
Dory is offline   Reply With Quote